Replacement Battery for Alien Ocean "off road" 350w BPM kit

Pedant

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 17, 2011
Here's my promised update:

I ordered the battery and rack on Saturday the 3rd and they arrived on Friday the 9th. They were sent by Deutsche Post who use DHL for the German leg of the journey and Parcel Force for the UK bit. Both parcels were well packed and the contents were undamaged.

The battery had 2 of its 4 LEDs lit when I powered it on and I measured its voltage at 36.8 on arrival. This seems just about right as a storage voltage which would minimise capacity loss while in stock.

I charged it using the Sans 2 amp charger supplied with it and it took about 3 hours 15 minutes to reach it's fully charged voltage of 41.7.

I fitted it to my bike yesterday which involved drilling some holes in the "slider plate" to secure it to the (purpose built) rack. It would have been better if it had come with these pre-drilled and screws and nuts had been supplied. The only, very minor, problem I have is that the controller box provided is slightly smaller than the one on the original Alien kit so I can't fit all of the excess cable inside it as I did before.

I took it for a very short "shakedown" run when the rain stopped yesterday and everything seems to be functioning as it should.

@d8veh the controller is labelled:

Rated current: 9A
Max Current 18A.

So I'm not sure if this is more or less than a S06P which is only labelled with max current 14A plus or minus 1.

D

Deleted member 4366

the controller is labelled:

Rated current: 9A
Max Current 18A.

So I'm not sure if this is more or less than a S06P which is only labelled with max current 14A plus or minus 1.
That means that you get 18 amps from the battery when climbing steep hills. The S06P is 14A, but it can be adjusted up to about 18A. The 350w BPM motor is happy with 22 amps, which gives proportionally more torque.

Pedant

Aug 17, 2011
@d8veh
Thanks for the response.

When you say that the S06P can be adjusted, is that via the C parameters or by a hardware change like soldering the shunt?

If I need to change any C parameters do I need to get an S LCD 3 or is there a way with the LCD 1, or any other piece of kit?

Sorry for all the questions! You're a star for answering them so patiently.

For now I guess I'll just tidy up the cables and ride it for a while before deciding whether to update further.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just to add my experience I have same motor and it happily can be a speed machine or a torque monster

I've used it at 52v nominal and 15a and it will do nearly 30mph on the flat (using a panda bikes 48v controller)

Or at 36v nominal (using a BMS battery ku65 36v controller) and about 20a. Then it is super torquey but not fast (standard 15.5mph or a fraction over)

Both end up at a similar wattage, the motor is perfectly fine with both setups

Both sensorless though as the overvolting fried the halls , when I tried to go sine wave I couldn't - some wave needs hall sensors

So it's pretty noisy comparatively especially at 14s (52v)

Pedant

Aug 17, 2011
I've just finished my first discharge - charge cycle and so far so good. When I first used the kit 5 years ago I had some problems with the original Phylion battery cutting out so, to provide Alien with information, I devised a test scheme where I rode the bike at a target 10 mph with no pedalling until it cut out. That happened after about 12 miles before I sent it back for them to "condition". When they returned it it would do over 30 miles.

I did this same test on the new battery and got to 30 miles (with just the red battery LED still on and 34.9 volts) before I got bored and gave up. I then recharged with the supplied Sans charger which is rated at 2 amps and it took 5 hours 30 minutes for the light to go to green. I realise that the charger won't have been providing 2 amps for all that time because the BMS would have been balancing towards the end, but the time does seem to indicate that the battery has something like the advertised 10.4 amp hours capacity.

@KirstinS You must have a slightly different version of the motor because mine will do 19 or 20 mph on a fully charged 36 (really 42) volt battery. I think it's a code 13 (in a 700c wheel) and I guess yours is some other code.