Replacement for Kalkhoff Agattu?

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Yep, brakes the English way round was one of the first things I specified.

A couple of weeks ago I was out for a spin on my (non-electric) Thorn Sherpa and I went flat out down a hill on the A26 and round a bend with an HGV on my tail. At precisely the worst moment, a young deer crashed out of the woodland and shot across the road at high speed right in front of me. Without any exaggeration at all, less than a second later and I would have hit it fair square at 30mph or more. Narrowest escape I've had in the last 40 years of cycling, for sure.

I was greatly relieved to find that the old reflexes still seem to work when required, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in that situation again with wrong-way-round brakes ...

ETA - The bikes are made in the Netherlands, but this model's made for the Danish market. The Dutch-market one (the Dinsdag E-go) has a less-upright riding posiiton and doesn't have the front carrier

Last edited:
Reactions: Swizz

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Just shows how sensible you are. A lot more people here should choose bikes like that to suit their needs rather than suit the fashion market.
Dunno about being sensible - probably more a case of not knowing any better. I'm the bloke who in 2004, as a full-time professional wedding photographer working all over the bottom half of the country, needed a new motor car. We drew up a list of requirements and a maximum price, and hit the internets to see what the choice was. It took a couple of weeks to narrow it down to a black Volkswagen Golf 1.8TDi, which ticked all the boxes and went on to do everything asked of it for 120,000 miles without once letting us down.

Not one of my professional colleagues could understand why I bought it. Without exception, the reaction was "why on earth buy such a dead boring car?" ...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dunno about being sensible - probably more a case of not knowing any better. I'm the bloke who in 2004, as a full-time professional wedding photographer working all over the bottom half of the country, needed a new motor car. We drew up a list of requirements and a maximum price, and hit the internets to see what the choice was. It took a couple of weeks to narrow it down to a black Volkswagen Golf 1.8TDi, which ticked all the boxes and went on to do everything asked of it for 120,000 miles without once letting us down.

Not one of my professional colleagues could understand why I bought it. Without exception, the reaction was "why on earth buy such a dead boring car?" ...
Strange reaction they had, why want a car that's very "eventful".

I'd have thought boring is perfect in a working car, just doing what it should and Golfs have been pretty good at that as yours showed. VW are now trying very hard to repeat that with the fully electric replacement, not the current e-Golf but the ID3 model:

VW ID.3.jpg

Reactions: danfoto

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks folks. Keep 'em coming :)

At very first glance, Batavus seem to make the sort of thing I'm after, although I don't know if roller brakes are a plus or a minus for me - my only experience of them was on a Workscycles FR8 that we briefly owned a few years ago. Need to think about that.

Woosh Rambla seems to tick all the boxes, so I certainly need to look closer at that one ...
Oh I've just asked a similar kind of question to you, then read this. You might want to see the post I just made as to the bike I had and what I'm looking at now. I also live in a hilly area. The thing with Batavus is their motors were made for flat terrain. Things might have changed since I last looked though. My previous bike which like yours has fallen apart and the battery died too (aaaagh) was a Gepida Reptilla (sit up and beg bike). I'm considering getting the same bike again though they have moved the battery to the rear pannier when mine was on under the seat stem. But also i've seen a lower cost bike online but the motor is in the rear wheel and Im not sure about that especially with hills. I do not want to get off my bike. Have Kalkoff stopped making bikes then?

Last edited:

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
I also live in a hilly area. The thing with Batavus is their motors were made for flat terrain. Things might have changed since I last looked though.
Erm ... how long is it since you looked? How does 70Nm sound? :) One reason for choosing the Batavus was that amount of torque coupled with 8 gears.

Ref Kalkhoff, they still make them, but not one that ticked three of the boxes on my must-have list - disc brakes, full chaincase and hub gears.