Replacement Kickstand for Wisper 705SE

JEM40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2009
Hi all, this is a question for the Wisper guys I guess.

I parked my bike on a slope with a loaded trailer the other day, dumbass that I am! The whole thing of course start rolling backwards and the kickstand bent. I have managed to bend it back to a reasonable position but of course I really need to replace it.

As I'm likely to use the trailer quite a bit I'd like to replace it with a steel kickstand but am unsure if a standard bicycle kickstand will bolt on to the Wisper without any trouble. The three I'm looking at are this one, this one and this one and I would very much like advice.

Alternatively, do Wisper do a replacement kickstand in steel?

I have another question while I'm on here. The puncture gunk in the inner tubes is blocking the valves and causing me loads of problems. I always check and pump the tyres with the valves at around 10 o'clock but the gunk still seeps out. I now have to buy a new pressure gauge because that's got blocked up as well and doesn't work properly any more.

I have a local, well reputed, pedal bicycle shop who I would like to use to resolve this problem, i.e. replace the inner tubes and put in some puncture tape instead. I just wanted to check it's OK for him to remove and replace both wheels and there's nothing he could muck up and there wouldn't be any problems with warranty if I got him to do this for me. My alternative here is to arrange with a friend who has an estate car to drop the bicycle to my nearest dealer as I am unable to ride that far. So much easier to take the bicycle to my local guy just 3 miles down the road.

Many thanks for any and all responses. I love my bike and want to make life a little easier in using and maintaining it.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
if I was going to change mine I would prefer the twin legged type....

Propstands

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if I was going to change mine I would prefer the twin legged type....

Propstands
The Pletscher twin leg ones on that page fold up both legs to the left so won't foul the chainline. Here's on illustrated on my folder, both up and down:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The Pletscher twin leg ones on that page fold up both legs to the left so won't foul the chainline.

So will this fit a wisper OK? They look far more stable to me

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So will this fit a wisper OK? They look far more stable to me
They fit most centre bolt stand platform mounts ok. I had to make a thick spacer to clear a low brake as you see in the photos, but the Wisper wouldn't suffer that.

The Pletscher stand legs are long and marked at 1 cm intervals to allow an amount to be cut off each with a hacksaw to make the stand height correct for any bike.

JEM40

Jun 4, 2009
So that's a steel stand right? Sounds like a reasonable idea especially as I currently have to support the handlebars when one of my dogs is in the basket, or the front end twists round and risks pulling the whole bike over on the side stand. The only thing that concerns me is it doesn't appear to have rubber stops at the end of the legs, I cringe at the idea of metal direct on tarmac or conrete. It's a sort of nails down the blackboard thing for me. Would walking stick ferrules fit do you think?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So that's a steel stand right?
No, the Pletscher isn't steel, though it is very strong. The solid alloy legs are filled U section so might not take to fitting rubber ferrules.

Although quite stable, it isn't as stable for loading as the wide twin leg ones illustrated earlier on Eddie's link. The only trouble with those I've found is that the offside leg can foul the chain on some derailleur bikes when the largest sprockets are in use, so there's an element of risk buying one online.

JEM40

Jun 4, 2009
I think I may well have to go with the steel side stand then, I know it sounds daft but I just couldn't cope with the metal going straight on the ground. I'm also concerned about the full centre stand derailleur issue you mention so wouldn't risk going down that route.

Any response from the Wisper guys?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jen

Sorry not to have replied to your thread earlier.

Regarding the kick stand, as you say there are many on the market it's just a case of picking the correct one so it is best to speak to your local bike shop and they will recommend a the correct stand.

We are currently designing our own stand, as soon as it's ready I will post details.

Regarding the slime in the tubes, unfortunately there is little we can do apart from leave it out. It is a case of balancing the advantages of having far fewer punctures with mucky valves.

To answer your question there would be no problems in changing the tubes.

Best regards

David

JEM40

Jun 4, 2009
Hi David, thank you so much for your response. I may wait until you bring out your own stronger kickstand in that case.

I agree, the gunk is a good idea in theory, unfortunately in practice it's causing me more problems than it's worth. It'll now cost me to have the tubes and valves changed and to buy another pressure guage. Perhaps the tape would be a better idea in future models?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi David, thank you so much for your response. I may wait until you bring out your own stronger kickstand in that case.

I agree, the gunk is a good idea in theory, unfortunately in practice it's causing me more problems than it's worth. It'll now cost me to have the tubes and valves changed and to buy another pressure guage. Perhaps the tape would be a better idea in future models?
The tape isn't good either, I tried it in a 905 and it cut up the inner tubes.
The valve is integrated into the inner tube so you don't need those separately.