Replacing a 45mm tyre with a 35mm?

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi guys

The sunlova kit i fitted recently came with a two knives dx-3000 wheel and innova 700 x 45 tyres. I've read elsewhere that I need to keep an eye on the spokes and rim which I will do.

For the moment I'd like to replace the tyre. Because its a 45mm tyre I had to take off my mudguard. The tyre itself looks massive compared to my 35mm original and has massive knobbly bits on the edge.

I'd like to replace it with a 35mm marathon - would this be a problem? Just wondering if the motor demands the more chunky tyre.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 35 mm MP will be fine and won't harm the motor. Be aware though that the ride will be quite hard, the MP is stiff anyway, and in the smaller sizes gets progressively stiffer due to the higher proportion of the additional puncture resistant layer.

This is from experience, I've had a 28 mm MP front and 35 mm MP rear on a rear wheel motor e-bike previously.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
The 35 mm MP will be fine and won't harm the motor. Be aware though that the ride will be quite hard, the MP is stiff anyway, and in the smaller sizes gets progressively stiffer due to the higher proportion of the additional puncture resistant layer.

This is from experience, I've had a 28 mm MP front and 35 mm MP rear on a rear wheel motor e-bike previously.
Hi Flecc

Thanks for the reply :) I thought it would ok but figured I'd check before making the change. Good to know about the extra stiffness. At the moment I feel I'm riding a motorbike and cornering doesn't feel the most secure. i'll give the 35mm MP a go.

Thanks

John

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Well after following the advice on fitting the MP elsewhere on the forum, I'm delighted I went for the narrower tyre - I refitted the mudguard and the bike looks and feels great.

I inflated to 60 psi and was expecting a really hard ride but to my surprise it felt pretty good. It might be my imagination but I feel the bike is free-wheeling much better - maybe the extra psi has reduced the friction - I must have been under-inflating all my tyres previously! I had to check the gauge to make sure I was reading it right as I was afraid the tube was going to burst!!

Now I have to order an MP for the rear wheel - the tyre thats on it seems so flimsy compared to the MP!

John