Report: Cycling benefits for the elderly

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The BBC TV news today carries a report on a study of a group of keen 64 to 82 year old cyclists. None of them are e-bikers though, they do their riding in the Surrey hills the hard way. As well as the obvious fitness benefits we'd all expect, it's claimed blood tests show their immune systems are equal to that of 20 year olds.

It'd be interesting to have the outcomes from a similar study of regular e-bikers.

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
i'm 64, always considered myself fit and healthy until a heart attack whilst out on my mountain bike 2 years ago. Well, stents and loads of medications for life including beta blockers which are yuk on hills I purchased an e bike.
I have to say that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Firstly you do not have to use assist if you do not want to, but when you go up a hill and your heart wants to give your muscles more oxygen and the the beta blockers say no way sunshine, I just click assist on my crossfire. 25%. 50%. 75% and i do not fall off knackered. awsome!
I am totally hooked on my e bike. Great exercise, total freedom which I would not get on an standard bike. I fitted marathon plus puncture resistant tyres after a 6 mile walk home, no problem.
If you have had a cardiac event and/or getting on a bit. Just get your self an E bike, total freedom. Go for it

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
i'm 64, always considered myself fit and healthy until a heart attack whilst out on my mountain bike 2 years ago. Well, stents and loads of medications for life including beta blockers which are yuk on hills I purchased an e bike.
I have to say that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Firstly you do not have to use assist if you do not want to, but when you go up a hill and your heart wants to give your muscles more oxygen and the the beta blockers say no way sunshine, I just click assist on my crossfire. 25%. 50%. 75% and i do not fall off knackered. awsome!
I am totally hooked on my e bike. Great exercise, total freedom which I would not get on an standard bike. I fitted marathon plus puncture resistant tyres after a 6 mile walk home, no problem.
If you have had a cardiac event and/or getting on a bit. Just get your self an E bike, total freedom. Go for it
I too am 64 and had a heart attack 2 years ago. I am the proud possessor of 8 stents. I concur that for rehab, the Haibike has been fantastic. After 6 weeks the rehab nurses said I was 3 months ahead of my peers and I was avoiding going to the gym which I hate with a passion!!
2 years on and 5000 Kms later I am about to do a fundraising cycle of 400Kms over 5 day’s which I wouldn’t dream of attempting without my Haibike. —Go E-bike!!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After reading the above I'm feeling deprived. At 82 I've got no stents, never had a heart attack or stroke, never broken a bone, not even a mild attack of cancer.

I reckon I should get a refund from the NHS for all the national insurance payments I've made.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Flecc, you're probably on the NHS Management's gold card list, and the NHS practitioner's blacklist for depriving the new cohorts of someone to practice on!

Best o'luck with the refund. If you don't get it can I mention your credit rating if I ever need serious treatment? Pretty please :oops:

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I think there is a lot of sense in this report! and its good that some not so younger people do not have any medical conditions. As for me riding isn't just about exercise, its hard to describe being outdoors in the air even with limited abilities makes you feel alive. I dont go far and always of road on cycle ways and especially in Cornwall. this forum isn't big enough to list all of my ills but I had a pacekmaker fitted last year which has added extra weight:D. granny buggies...no way.It is hard to lift your leg over the frame which is why I got a low step. So DIY on your own health is important. I also have alertly stage altziemersso I cant remember riding in any case:rolleyes:

Reactions: VictoryV and flecc

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I'm 68 and a veteran of 2.5 heart attacks and I've just purchased my first e-bike for all the reasons stated above. My cardiac consultant advised me to attend a weekly exercise program for cardiac rehab, but there's no way I'm going to kill myself in a gym. Give me a racing heart on an e-bike in England's green and pleasant land any day!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm 68 and a veteran of 2.5 heart attacks and I've just purchased my first e-bike for all the reasons stated above. My cardiac consultant advised me to attend a weekly exercise program for cardiac rehab, but there's no way I'm going to kill myself in a gym. Give me a racing heart on an e-bike in England's green and pleasant land any day!
Fully agree. I once bought an exercise machine but couldn't sell it fast enough, I hated using it so much. Better and much less boring to either walk or cycle for exercise.

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Hi Steve well done for your perseverance. If having a pacemaker wasn't enough now its prostate surgery! they are throwing everything at me but despite my family pleas I am not ready to give up especially as my driving license is up for renewal again. Im sure many who use ebikes have there own stories to tell as to why they use them. For me it isn't about the physical exercise its the mind exercise! I carry the lightest chair in the world and with a jet boil and tea and one of the best ebikes on the market i think (Wisper) I can forget about the worlds woes and my disability. Old absolutely , but young enough to feel the force. well done

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Hi Steve well done for your perseverance. If having a pacemaker wasn't enough now its prostate surgery! they are throwing everything at me but despite my family pleas I am not ready to give up especially as my driving license is up for renewal again. Im sure many who use ebikes have there own stories to tell as to why they use them. For me it isn't about the physical exercise its the mind exercise! I carry the lightest chair in the world and with a jet boil and tea and one of the best ebikes on the market i think (Wisper) I can forget about the worlds woes and my disability. Old absolutely , but young enough to feel the force. well done
I'm with you -- a light folding chair I can carry on my rack, and a thermos of Darjeeling tea, and I'll find my Zen. Health benefits are only second to mental benefits.

Reactions: LeighPing

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Or just google for ‘Artist’s Seat’. Simple and light to carry.

Jim

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
But Amazon say NO MORE IN STOCK & dont know when or if new stock comming in.

Jim

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Trekology YIZI Go Portable Camping Chair on Amazon seems very similar & gets very good reviews, especially from cyclists.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
As a 63 year old I agree with all the above. Ebikes provide a reasonable level of physical exercise and of course you can choose how hard you work. They also provide good mental stimulation from bring outdoors, balancing, reacting to what is happing around you and quickly making decisions about which route to take through a tricky but of trail.