REPORT: My Wisper 905Se Arrives

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Hi, My name is John and I am a new Ped-a-holic.

My new Wisper 905Se arrived a few days ago and I am having a great time with this friendly little bike which I have nick-named "SPIRIT". The last time I rode a bicycle was 35 years ago, albeit my other regular ride is a Harley Davidson Road King weighing in at approx. 760ibs. hence the Wisper is a real lightweight!

I had the pleasure of a test ride on the Wisper 905Se a couple of weeks ago at the "New Forest" shop adjacent to Sammy Miller's Motorcycle Museum and was very pleased with the overall sales experience, The manager Phil Ball was both knowledgeable and friendly and was able to answer all my questions, giving me confidence that support was on hand for after sales as well as the initial purchase. Thanks Phil for taking the time to brief me on the bike and talking about motorcycles from the past, a real pleasure.

I find the Wisper fun to ride and ideal for trips to the local shops and recreation, I cannot believe how easy this bike is to ride with very little effort needed from the rider. I live in an area which has miles of cycle paths and just a few hills, which makes ridng this bike a real pleasure, also ideal for popping out in the evening to the local chippy, not sure if I will be burning of the consumed calories, I justified the purchase of the bike to my wife with the statement that it will help keep me fit...

I would also like to thank the many members who contribute to this forum which helped my decision to purchase the Wisper 905Se. I started reading the forum about a month ago and found the input interesting and have become a regular reader. I read the forum in the evening with a nice cup of coffee. as I consider my next days adventure with "SPIRIT". In particular I was impressed that David from Wisper Bikes is a regular contributer to the forum, taking time out with customers to provide technical advice and feedback, this was a major contributer also to my choice of bike.

INSURANCE: Norwich Union decided to cover the bike on my household insurance for just £31.00, they took several hours of research with underwriters prior to arriving at this figure. The only stipulation was that I take due care of security when leaving the bike unattended.

LOCK: Gold Secure Magnum Plus cable lock from Halfords £29.00 which should deter thieves, heavy but easy to transport on the carrier.

ALARM: Chaperone movement alarm fitted on the handlebar stem, this works fine if the bike is moved with a jolt, it will not however activate under gentle movement, The alarm is extremely LOUD ( 140Db ) when it goes off, so it would deter any thief...

SADDLE: Replaced this with an all black variety which is more in keeping with the colour of the bike and my European Butt.

PEDDLES: Replaced these with all black & LED reflectors, these have more grip under the foot and look better (in my opinion).

STILL TO BUY:

1. Possible Givi motorcycle E370 Top Box for the carrier and some panniers for shopping.

2. Bike computer with basic mileage and speed readings.

NEGATIVES: The only negative was the lack of any instruction/assembly manual and written guarantee, Phil has advised that these were missing on this shipment and will be forwarded within the next couple of weeks. I did however find some instructions for an Australian 905e on the internet which helped with assembly.

Well time to saddle up "SPIRIT" and go for a rumble down to McDonalds for a bit of fuel.

Signing Off: "The Bike Whisperer"

AgentGinger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
Congratulations on getting Spirit! :p

I have also been lusting over the 905SE but too expensive for me, I'm glad you are enjoying it though!

Just make sure your you don't over-do the fish'n'chips and McDonalds or you might find your range dramatically reduced :p Or at least the misses threatening to take it away!

Congrats!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for all the news about your bike Whisperer, glad that you're enjoying it. The thought struck me that the top box could contain a battery amp and woofer with an MP3 playing the sound of your Harley!

That would cause some confusion. :D

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain

My new Wisper 905Se arrived a few days ago and I am having a great time with this friendly little bike which I have nick-named "SPIRIT". The last time I rode a bicycle was 35 years ago, albeit my other regular ride is a Harley Davidson Road King weighing in at approx. 760ibs. hence the Wisper is a real lightweight!

I had the pleasure of a test ride on the Wisper 905Se a couple of weeks ago at the "New Forest" shop adjacent to Sammy Miller's Motorcycle Museum and was very pleased with the overall sales experience, The manager Phil Ball was both knowledgeable and friendly and was able to answer all my questions, giving me confidence that support was on hand for after sales as well as the initial purchase. Thanks Phil for taking the time to brief me on the bike and talking about motorcycles from the past, a real pleasure.

I find the Wisper fun to ride and ideal for trips to the local shops and recreation, I cannot believe how easy this bike is to ride with very little effort needed from the rider. I live in an area which has miles of cycle paths and just a few hills, which makes ridng this bike a real pleasure, also ideal for popping out in the evening to the local chippy, not sure if I will be burning of the consumed calories, I justified the purchase of the bike to my wife with the statement that it will help keep me fit...

I would also like to thank the many members who contribute to this forum which helped my decision to purchase the Wisper 905Se. I started reading the forum about a month ago and found the input interesting and have become a regular reader. I read the forum in the evening with a nice cup of coffee. as I consider my next days adventure with "SPIRIT". In particular I was impressed that David from Wisper Bikes is a regular contributer to the forum, taking time out with customers to provide technical advice and feedback, this was a major contributer also to my choice of bike.

INSURANCE: Norwich Union decided to cover the bike on my household insurance for just £31.00, they took several hours of research with underwriters prior to arriving at this figure. The only stipulation was that I take due care of security when leaving the bike unattended.

LOCK: Gold Secure Magnum Plus cable lock from Halfords £29.00 which should deter thieves, heavy but easy to transport on the carrier.

ALARM: Chaperone movement alarm fitted on the handlebar stem, this works fine if the bike is moved with a jolt, it will not however activate under gentle movement, The alarm is extremely LOUD ( 140Db ) when it goes off, so it would deter any thief...

SADDLE: Replaced this with an all black variety which is more in keeping with the colour of the bike and my European Butt.

PEDDLES: Replaced these with all black & LED reflectors, these have more grip under the foot and look better (in my opinion).

STILL TO BUY:

1. Possible Givi motorcycle E370 Top Box for the carrier and some panniers for shopping.

NEGATIVES: The only negative was the lack of any instruction/assembly manual and written guarantee, Phil has advised that these were missing on this shipment and will be forwarded within the next couple of weeks. I did however find some instructions for an Australian 905e on the internet which helped with assembly.

Well time to saddle up "SPIRIT" and go for a rumble down to McDonalds for a bit of fuel.

Hi!
Just to wish you the best with a bike that´s taking the market by storm, together with the Pro Connect.
And certainly a lot of us members owes a lot to Flecc and David.
Poppy.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

My Wisper is due to arrive tomorrow, just in time to ride it to work on Saturday. :( My last set of 2 wheels was a single cylinder off road bike so not all that different. :)

That's good, my home insurance was an extra £85 plus £30 for LCC membership and the 3rd party insurance to go with it. :(
I got the Kryptonite M18 lock weiging at 3KG, it has to be better than anyone elses in the bike stand and the battery can cope. :)
I need one, if this fits the stem then it sounds good to me.
It's not black?
Now you're getting silly, it's not Pimp My Ride.*
STILL TO BUY:

I thought about doing this but watch where you ride, some bike gates are difficult to get through and you may find the mounting plate doesn't fit.
I thought it came with one?
That explains why I'm getting handwritten instructions, were there any instructions on the battery charger?

AgentGinger said:
I have also been lusting over the 905SE but too expensive for me, I'm glad you are enjoying it though!
It is expensive but for me it replaces a £200 monthly train ticket so it's worth every penny. I also found out on a test ride that it can be faster than the train so I'm impressed.

* Pimp My Ride for the uninitiated a tongue in cheek show about tarting up cars, I think it's quality entertainment.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Well done, I love my Wisper too, and use it everyday for a 24 mile round commute. I really look forward to going to work on it in the morning and cycling home as its great fun, easy to use and by far the best form of transport I've ever used.

I just wish everyone had one so there were no more cars on the roads!! :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Specs say that it comes with a wireless speedo as standard?
I've got mine now and it did come with a wireless speedo, very fiddly to get working. There's enough wires already so one more wouldn't hurt in order to make it simpler and more reliable.

All seem good and even though there were no instructions I got there in the end, the luggage rack I worked out from photos on the web. Not very impressed there. The mudguards were also missing to follow in the post.
The gears aren't set up properly and the front disk brake doesn't stop properly despite the new levers to fox the issue, the caliper isn't central even on the full adjustment. Time for a visit to the Wisper clinic.

Despite the teething troubles I'm very pleased with the bike so far, just need to get things sorted before I ride to work on Monday.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
905Se

Hi Whisperer,

Thanks for the glowing report and for the suggestions that will certainly be followed up.

The instructions and Manual should be printed or sent electronically by the individual dealer with their contact details inserted. However if anyone is having difficulties simply email me or Doug and we will send a set out to you immediately.

The front brake issue has been resolved and the parts are due to arrive next week, the adjustment is not necessary on all the bikes, but any one who has a bike that got through the net, please contact Doug and we will resolve the problem for you.

david@wisperbike.com (no "s")

doug.gosling@wisperbikes.com

Best regards David

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Hi, Thanks for all your interesting replies and positive feedback. I have been for a few ride-outs this week and have bonded well with "SPIRIT" my new 905Se. It is amazing how all my rides seem to end at a destination which serves coffee and food.

Mussels, Sorry to hear about your teething troubles, hope you get them sorted soon, please note info on alarm further in this post.

Flec: Like the idea of the amp and hi-fi in the top box, but think that a 60LB sub-woofer may be stretching the envelope a bit. This would really be "Bling Your Bike" sounds like fun though and being a Harley rider I may add some bling at a later date, watch this space.

David: Have dropped you an e-mail requesting an e-instruction manual. Like Mussels I also find the front brake lacking in performance, what are the differences in the upgrade? Also did not receive a mini computer or back light, should these have been in the box?

Alarm Update: The Chaperone Alarm is excellent with great sensitivity if the bike is touched or moved and with 140db alarm any thief would move to another location if it is activated. I mounted it on the handlebar stem with an extra strip of non-slip rubber under the clamp. For only £15-00 this is a must have item for your bike.

Safe Riding...

Signing Off: The Bike Whisperer

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Manual

Hi Whisper

I have sent you the manual, we will be posting all the manuals onto our new website when it's finally finished. :eek:

Doug will contact you on Monday regarding the other issues.

Any problems please give me a call 01732 452004.

All the best David

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
WooHoo!:) Picked up my 905se on Friday. My one, however, seems to have only 2 modes now. mode 1 is throttle and pedac mode together and the other mode is motor off. Therefore the throttle can not be disabled for pedelac only riding now. Do the other new wisper owners have this?

I tend to use it more in restricted mode. I'll probably use the unrestricted mode on the longer straight run to work though. I love being able to easily adjust the handle bars at whim too.

I've swap out the quick release seat post bolt for a pinhead components security bolt, and I've fitted a defender dutch stlye ring lock on the back.

Regardless of the outcome I am still happy with my purchase.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
WooHoo!:) Picked up my 905se on Friday. My one, however, seems to have only 2 modes now. mode 1 is throttle and pedac mode together and the other mode is motor off. Therefore the throttle can not be disabled for pedelac only riding now. Do the other new wisper owners have this?
I prefer it with just one mode, that way I can just turn it on and off as needed without cycling through different modes. When I want pedelec only I just stop turning the throttle. ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
New 905se arrived

I tend to use it more in restricted mode. I'll probably use the unrestricted mode on the longer straight run to work though. I love being able to easily adjust the handle bars at whim too.

I've swap out the quick release seat post bolt for a pinhead components security bolt, and I've fitted a defender dutch stlye ring lock on the back.

Regardless of the outcome I am still happy with my purchase.
Hi Seeker

Thanks for the great report, I am delighted that you are enjoying your 905se Sport, welcome to the Wisper set!

Regarding the modes, we used to have the facility to turn the throttle off but we found that it complicated matters for the user. In light of this we changed to a simple on off switch for the bikes electric system so it can be ridden as a push bike when required.

Although you don't have to use the throttle, it can still be used in pedelec mode You will find this facility very useful if you want more power than the set 80% when tackling steep hills.

Thanks again for your comments!

Best regards David

Griswold

Pedelecer
May 17, 2007
Got my Wisper 905SE too

Got my Wisper from New Milton the other week - picked it up as I live nearby.
Put it together without instructions - a relatively simple process.
Still got to fit the computer etc - what is the diameter of the wheel?
Love the bike - rode it to work and back today.
No problems with hills - in fact its faster than my 24 speed commuter up hill.
Passed a few other cyclists - one lycra clad- whilst enjoying a cigarette!
Cant get over what a quality bike this is, only one issue - the left rubber hand grip is loose and I have to keep pushing it back on.
Excellent dealings with the company - all in all one of the best things Ive ever purchased!
Also just bought an ALMAX lock - as these cannot be bolt cropped - check out their wall of shame! very interesting - another nice company to deal with - even gave me free postage!
Almax Security Chains Limited
Regards
Griswold

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A drop of rubber solution from your puncture repair kit smeared around the bar and then the rubber grip quickly pushed over that before it sets will do the trick Griswold. Just leave it to set for a few hours afterwards. That holds the grip firmly but the seal can be broken if removal is desired at a later date.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A drop of rubber solution from your puncture repair kit smeared around the bar and then the rubber grip quickly pushed over that before it sets will do the trick Griswold. Just leave it to set for a few hours afterwards. That holds the grip firmly but the seal can be broken if removal is desired at a later date.
I'll try that later today, especially as I have a puncture to fix already. :(

On the subject of my teething troubles I have been receiving excellent after sales support from Wisper, a very rare level of service.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I was told that they now had 'goo' to help guard against punctures, did yours or didn't it work ?

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
I'll try that later today, especially as I have a puncture to fix already. :(

On the subject of my teething troubles I have been receiving excellent after sales support from Wisper, a very rare level of service.
Hi Mussels,

These wispers are way cool aren't they? :cool:

I second your comment on the service. This is the main reason I purchased from wisper, and partly why I sent a Salisbury back for a refund (apart from it being vastly inferior). I hope these guys go from strength to strength. :)

I've also got a dodgey left handlebar, what's with that?

Regards

Seeker