Northampton
just spotted this and I thought some may find it interesting

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
just spotted this and I thought some may find it interesting
Oh dear:

“We will look to use the outcomes of this study as a platform for sustainable growth, better supporting e-MTB riders in terms of trail infrastructure, responsible access and understanding the legalities of motor modifications."

Wonder how they'll feel about all the 750 Watt BBS etc out there!!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I started riding ebikes in 2011 at which time I came across very few others and the vast majority of people did not know what they were, how fast they should go, or where they could go. Happy days.

Very slowly at first more started to appear and the other day when I parked my old rear hub at the supermarket the other two bikes either side were also electric bikes.

I guess it had to happen, but the more there are the more likely that more restrictive legislation will follow. Wie schade.

Reactions: flecc

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
@flecc - good point about this research being used in future legislation.

I saw the same happen with RC helicopters & drones,. At first they were a rarity and nobody bothered, then large drones with cameras became mass produced very cheaply, some high profile cases (near misses with planes landing at airports, large drones crashing into crowds especially at beaches, drones with cameras flying past bedroom windows & people sunbathing in the privacy of their own back garden...).
Sad to say as E-bikes become more common and attact more negative press more laws will be introduced - even if it's just to say "we've done something" to the folk who will compain about anything just to pass the time.
We live in sad times - enjoy your freedoms while you can :cool:

Edit to say the existing 250W limit is already a problem for me as my bike loaded with shopping is often over 150kg, a lot of the routes I use include short steep hills that mean even with an E-bike I need to get off and push. More power / torque would help, but there's no easy way to do that legally.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc