Resources for self educating

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
Hi All,
I was vaguely thinking of buying a conversion kit for my dawes hybrid bike - I looked at a couple - cyclotricity and panda. Having now lurked for a few days on this forum trying to read as many threads as I can I realise there is a lot to learn about the subject - sine wave vs square wave - geared vs direct drive - front vs rear -brake sensors !

Are there any good places to learn about the detail ?

Or should I start another thread, give my bike details, my riding habits and priorities and ask for help ?
I don't want to waste people's time if I can educate myself, but in all the guides I've read so far no-one has discussed the wave form of the controller for example.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor wise preferably a sensored geared hub, one with sine wave/torque control for a quieter and smoother experience.
They come in 150/350/500 & 800w flavours.

D/D motors are ok in flat areas and where you are likely to need less start/ stop other wise they aren't very efficient, for greater efficacy you need to throw a lot more amps at them which at the same time usually means a more expensive battery with pucker cells to cope with the power demands. Downside is you have a much heavier bike and but will trounce most geared hub motors on flat terrain until you use up all the battery capacity then the geared hub will eventually catch up and sail past.

Yes a new thread for your requirements.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
For me, like you, lurking and asking questions was how I learnt - it seems such an esoteric subject I do wonder what else could possibly be out there. My "go to" for stuff is often youtube, but didn't really find much of practical use there

As a relative newb who just took the plunge last week by buying a kit from overseas I am deeply grateful to the folks on here for helping out

D

Deleted member 4366

Much of the stuff stuff on Youtube is very limited. They show one example on one bike of how you can fit a kit in 30 minutes, but every bike is different and they forgot to mention about filing the forks and how they plan to resist the torque of get the axle back in the centre of the drop-out as if these things don't matter.

There's plenty of help here. All you have to do is say what you want to achieve, show a picture of your donor bike and any preferred stuff that you want to fit, and you'll get relevant advice. It's surprising how many people come on here wanting to convert unsuitable bikes, then add nonsensical contraints instead of doing it properly.

If you want to learn all the ins and outs and technical stuff, you have to spend a lot of time reading all the threads and asking lots of questions.

Endless-Sphere has a very good Wiki that explains a lot of things, but you need your own context to make sense of it.