Restricting a Razor Pocket Rocket24v mini moto to 5mph

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
My grandson is begging for a mini moto for Christmas. I have found a Razor Pocket Rocket 24v electric version. How difficult would it be to restrict it to around 5mph from its top speed of 15mph I suppose worse case scenario I could add a physical restriction to the twist throttle. Just found a wiring diagram and it is an electronic throttle with four wires. Could I insert a potentiometer somewhere hidden away to restrict the speed until he learns how to use it safely.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure why there would be four wires on that throttle. I can only think of a dual Hall sensor arrangement to give a longer and smoother range of throttle application. With the drive wheel off the deck, you should find a rising voltage on either one or two wires as the throttle is opened, and one wire will be negative/ground.

You can insert a pot between a rising voltage wire and ground as a splitter to reduce the voltage fed to the controller, doing that on both rising voltage wires if there are two. However, if you find one wire has the rising voltage to about half throttle and a second wire takes over from there, just disconnecting the second wire will leave only half throttle operation which should roughly do the trick.

I'm sure you're aware these mini-motos are illegal anywhere in public and don't know if your grandson is in our joint area, but Z division police are hot on them and have confiscated a number around my part of our area.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
4th wire = cut out switch ? (maybe to + or - ve) possibly, lol

Edit.. seems like there are 4 and 5 wire versions, so the bottom line is that it is doable like flec says, but wait until you have got the bike before making any plans (cos it does depend on which version you end up with)

Razor Electric Bike versions can be determined by locating your bar code ID on the battery cover and/or on the bottom of the bike frame or underside of the unit. The 7th and 8th digit in the series will tell you the version of your product: 01=version 1; 02=version 2; 09=version 9, and so on.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Surely he has a long way to go before he needs electrical assistance.....

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks guys. They would be used off road and pavement for that matter. Part of the reason for capping them to a low speed is so that I can keep up. As you say it is a dream present not a necessity. Problem is I have one of nearly 6 and one of nearly 8 and I am told that if I buy for one I will have to buy for both. Bang goes my new golf clubs again :):)

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Wow I wish I had one of those when I was younger! Then again I couldn't ride a bike in those days and had to make do with a Fisher Price electric tricycle. :)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
They would be used off road and pavement for that matter.
Deffinately illegal on the pavement. Kid of 7 round here had his confiscated and crushed a month a go for riding one round the block.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Deffinately illegal on the pavement. Kid of 7 round here had his confiscated and crushed a month a go for riding one round the block.
Same as in the area which I live and in which PJM rides in. Quite a few of mini-motos and quad bikes crushed.

D

Deleted member 4366

The throttle is the same as any e-bike throttle: from the controller, black is 0v; red is 5v; green is throttle signal; 4th wire is battery voltage for throttle LEDs (if it has them otherwise no function). Therefore you can electronically limit the throttle signal with a voltage divider on the signal wire. Alternatively, you can limit it mechanically by gluing a block against the high throttle magnet or hall sensor so that the high throttle magnet is kept away from the hall sensor.

Even at 5 mph the bike is illegal on anything other than private land, but I'd be surprised if anybody complains at that speed. I've often seen kids on those noisy electric motorbikes which only go at walking speed, going round the streets with their parents, and nobody takes any notice apart from wondering what all the noise is.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I would guess it will be the petrol version that will draw the police attention. I
Doubt that with a 5 mph top speed and close parental supervision they
Would irritate anyone. Similar to the kiddies ride ons you see all the time. Fortunately I have a small private drive that they
Can use. I think a large deserted car park might also work. The dual 12v batteries
Only last for 45 mins. Might last bit longer if restricted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The police don't usually initiate any action in our area PJM. It usually starts with complaints from people in a local area, which the police then follow up. They have two off-road motorbikes available, probably kept at the Catford regional police garage, which they bring out to blitz an area intensively for a week to pick up any offenders.

So any risk of you being affected is probably only if there are any complaints about annoyances by others and you get caught up in the subsequent action.