Return to the bent!

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I used an Andra 40 rim and Sapim Strong spokes with head washers on a Shengyi DGW22C motor.

Grin's calculator worked a charm, I measured the rim carefully and the rest fell into place as shown. The wheel's beginning to creak and needs retensioning after 1900 miles.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Also, I forgot to mention that I've built many wheels with offsets, and always used the same spokes for each side. You have to be more careful with the calculations if you have single-walled rims, but i always use double-walled MTB rims that have loads of space between the nipples and the tube, so it's no problem when the spoke pokes through the nipple.That also means that you can use slightly longer spokes that makes the lacing easier.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I've redone the measurements and calculations and this is what it's come to:

So it looks like left spoke at 208mm and right at 206mm.
The tension ratio still looks high but< I guess, it is what it is. If it wasn't for the calculator I wouldn't have a clue about it and would just use the wheel in ignorance of spoke tension. I'm guessing that so long as all spokes on one side 'ring' the same note, then it'll work. I hope.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
> it is what it is
...and that's ideally not a jelly, if the ratio's really high you can end up with cracks around the nipples:eek:
Have a look at my lacing

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I've redone the measurements and calculations and this is what it's come to:

So it looks like left spoke at 208mm and right at 206mm.
The tension ratio still looks high but< I guess, it is what it is. If it wasn't for the calculator I wouldn't have a clue about it and would just use the wheel in ignorance of spoke tension. I'm guessing that so long as all spokes on one side 'ring' the same note, then it'll work. I hope.
If you look at AntonyC's calculation he has left side spoke elbows in and right side out, giving a much better ratio of 35:65. I've been trying to see if I could get it any better, but I can't. Incidentally, the drawing for the AKM-128CST has the flange spoke hole diameter at 129mm - not that 1mm is likely to make much difference.
AKM-128 CST Drawing.png (1253×838) (topbikekit.com)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you look at AntonyC's calculation he has left side spoke elbows in and right side out, giving a much better ratio of 35:65. I've been trying to see if I could get it any better, but I can't. Incidentally, the drawing for the AKM-128CST has the flange spoke hole diameter at 129mm - not that 1mm is likely to make much difference.
AKM-128 CST Drawing.png (1253×838) (topbikekit.com)
That's right, you can reduce the offset a bit by bringing all the spoke out the same side of the spoke flanges. I've not done one like that, but it makes the lacing a bit more complicated. I think you'd have to build one side at a time - the brake side first, then the gears side otherwise you'd have to bend some of the brake side ones into all sorts of shapes to bring them to the rim.

What building sequence did you use, Antony?

• Informative
Reactions: Benjahmin

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ok, I've changed the right side elbows to out and it's bought it to 35:65.
That's the same as yours Anthony and that worked out did it?
Thanks for the help everyone, you're helping to demystify the dark art of wheel building.:cool:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
With the tensions now at 35:65, I can't get it any better, and as Ryan's back from holiday, I'm going to order spokes.
Going to ordr all 208 as I figure 0.9mm won't make much difference.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Could have gone silver, S/S for a bit of bling.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
True but it's a black rim, motor and cassette which will show up my bright yellow cycling jacket quite nicely methinks.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Me spokes have arrived and me nipples are soakin in oil. (Stopiiit!)
Realised I was short of a square driver, but I've found a red rawlplug fits nicely over the nipple top nut and passes through the inner wall of the rim.
Let the adventure begin.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Me spokes have arrived and me nipples are soakin in oil. (Stopiiit!)
Realised I was short of a square driver, but I've found a red rawlplug fits nicely over the nipple top nut and passes through the inner wall of the rim.
Let the adventure begin.
I screw a spoke a few turns into the top of the nipple, poke it into the hole, then twiist the poking through part of the nipple with my fingers to screw it onto the wheel spoke and screw it off the spoke that poked it through. I only have to do that with the second 18 spokes because the first 18 all reach through the rim so that you can screw on the nipple easily.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I am immensely chuffed to have built my first, apparently, concentric and true wheel and just to proove that it happened:
DSCF3349.JPG
And here it is on the scratch built truing stand in concentricity mode, 'cos ya can't really turn a bent on it's back !:
DSCF3352.JPG

Of course it's only now that I realise I haven't yet ordered a tyre, tube, rim tape or cassette.:rolleyes:o_O
So to the interweb it is and get the wallet out - again.
Thanks to everyone who helped this process along. Hey, it's not such a dark art afterall.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Nice stand. That's the way to do it. No need to spend loads of money. I don't like the set-square though - it makes it look like you took too much care to get it right.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thought I was dead clever ordering tyre,tube, rim tape and cassette all from one supplier so avoiding delivery charges - forgot the bloody disc didn't I.:mad:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Wheel's now finished.
Here's a picture of it alongside the one that's come out:
DSCF3353.JPG
Out of curiosity I weighed them both. The DD wheel is 8Kg+:oops:, the geared hub wheel is 5Kg.

Not being able to upend the bent, I made a scratch workstand. It did mean that I was fighting gravity putting the wheel in. There was some filing needed (previous motor was not fully seated)so, with all the fiddling, it took about an hour to get it in first time. 'Twas then I found the caliper fould the motor by about 2mm:mad:. An hour round trip to the lbs got me a 180mm disc and adaptor. Wewnt in fine second time around with one washer inside the frame to give disc alignment.
Wiring next - pictures will follow.

Reactions: esuark

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Here's the bike on the stand in lash up mode:
DSCF3354.JPG

The observant may spot that I've used 'girly' Wago 221 connectors - they're only temporary - honest.
So far it's working on throttle but not pas. Because I have a KT-V12L sensor the c1 needs to be set to 07. Currently struggling to follow the instructions, is there an easy hack/fix for the lcd3 ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
All that spaghetti is making me feel hungry.
KT-V12L PAS!!??? You guys and your sado-massichism. If only you posted a complete shopping list, I might have seen it. Oh well, eventually someone will be able to get one working and tell the rest how to do it - hopefully you. Good luck to you and all who sail in you.