Review of the Haibike FS AM

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
My review of the Haibike FS AM.

(a more formal review rather than just about how it impressed the boy's at my local Evan's store - which I already posted about).

First off when you see this bike in the flesh - well I was truely impressed with the engineering. Its a class act. Look at any of the components and you are immediately taken by the sheer quality of it. The brakes are stunning. The wheels are a work of art. Everything looks like it was supposed to go with the thing next to it. But you really only appreciate this when its actually there in front of you. So the moment I got it I could tell I was dealing with something a bit special (and you could say at these prices I should bloody well hope so!).

Now to the riding.

Well I am sorry but I am no off-road freak - this bike is being used as a city run-around - I am sure it does the off-road thing every well - all the components seem more than adequate for such things - but I am mainly using it to zoom around Wimbledon - to the bank and back - to the shops and back - that sort of thing.

What can I say? It's great! Its just bloody great. The way the power comes on progressively as you put more pressure on the pedals matches almost perfectly. There seems to be no lag between applying the pressure and the power coming in - and no after-power once you lift off applying the pressure - its simply like an extension of your own desire to go faster. Perfect. The handling is great too - admittedly I am talking about the handling as one zooms around London buses and past the Lycra boys and their 27 speed whatevers that they ride these days (especially pleasing as you go up the hill to the Village) - really really fun.

The read-out is a work of art too - and it comes off of course so there's no chance it will get pinched. Plus it comes with this very fancy saddle tube whereby you can raise and lower the saddle when you stop at lights and then go again - at first it seemed a bit OTT but in fact practically it's something I have used a lot. It really works.

So thats it.

Of course it a mad price - and I think you're paying for engineering that many of us won't use - but what the heck - somebody has to spend some money to keep the economy going - so it might as well be you. Right?

(NB no I dont work for Crank Cycles or Haibike or am getting paid to write this!).

James.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Every market needs a top end: in this case bikes that showcase the best technology and components. It might be a bit extreme but it pulls the whole market forward. Keep writing about it! Here’s a specific question: how does your saddle tube work?

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
My Haibike's got one of these seatposts as well. The saddle is fixed to one tube which can then slide up and down within a slightly larger tube, and that's the one that is held in place by the seatpost clamp. There's a lever under the saddle nose which you pull up whilst sitting on the saddle and your weight makes it drop. Just take weight off the saddle and pull lever up to make saddle rise again.

I guess it's really aimed at MTBers who want to drop the saddle a bit on serious downhill stuff, but the traffic light use is one I hadn't thought of, and is a good one.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Regarding the seat post and traffic lights, I'd have to try one to be convinced; at least when using clipless pedals the Sheldon Brown technique seems more appropriate: Starting and Stopping
That apart, the picture shows a work of art!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Gorgeous bit of kit - But I'd be afraid to leave it anywhere, even down here where theiving is less common.

What security devic3s would be considered apropriate for a bike like that?

I have a Squire Hammerhead d-lock (s/s gold) and a roller-armoured chain for my velocipede.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yes that's how it works. The lever on mine is on the handlebars - the one that controls the seat I mean.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I have yet to lock it anywhere! I just ride it around for fun! I just dare not leave it anywhere..... in time I will probably use one of the mega-U-bar things I used with my old motorbike - and never leave it too long - and only leave it in really 'safe' places - and in spots that I can see it from the shop I am going in!

Its not something I bought with it being practical in mind. Its more like a picture or a sculpture but one that you can use once in a while. Most of the time it sits in my front room.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Ditto for the bike in front room syndrome. Mine was supposed to rest in the lounge only whilst being kitted out, yet somehow it has stayed, and resting on its work stand looks like the embodiment of elegant functional design. Admiring visitors will agree (otherwise they get the Teacher’s not the Macallan!).

Is that rear dropout of yours horizontal? If not, I’d suggest Pitlocks all round. Because your bike’s worth it!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Its not something I bought with it being practical in mind. Its more like a picture or a sculpture but one that you can use once in a while. Most of the time it sits in my front room.
And my missus reckons I'm obsessive!

I bet it gets cleaned & polished every time it comes home too :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I still have to admit .... 1st thing I'd have done with it would have been to go and get it full-on mud-soaked on the nearest hill trail.

And I still think that's what you need to do, OxygenJames - those bikes are built for proper fun and I'll bet you could have some if you used it to branch out a bit and sample the delights of some proper off-road biking :). Your better half will probably approve too - as after that you'll be happy to pop it in the garage with the others. Bit like getting a new car - breathed a sigh of relief the first time I scratched my last one as after that I could relax, enjoy it for what it was and stop worrying about what happened to it ;).

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Lovely looking read there James! The bit about using the dropper post at traffic lights still makes me chuckle :)
I will post a link for a PDF download tomorrow if anyone wants to print it.

SRS - Nice to meet you yesterday.

Regards
Martin

Martin, good to chat with you.

Thanks for sorting my parts out and no doubt touch base again at some point.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I still have to admit .... 1st thing I'd have done with it would have been to go and get it full-on mud-soaked on the nearest hill trail.

And I still think that's what you need to do, OxygenJames - those bikes are built for proper fun and I'll bet you could have some if you used it to branch out a bit and sample the delights of some proper off-road biking :). Your better half will probably approve too - as after that you'll be happy to pop it in the garage with the others. Bit like getting a new car - breathed a sigh of relief the first time I scratched my last one as after that I could relax, enjoy it for what it was and stop worrying about what happened to it ;).
Oh you're probably completely right and once it stops being so f-ing cold there's a decent chance the ponce in me will give in and it will be taken for a proper ride somewhere very trail-like and ever dare I say - muddy.

Then I will spend the next 3 weeks cleaning it.