Rewire KT-LCD4 display

MikeyRides46

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2023
Hi
I have a KT-LCD4 display which does not fully operate my YOSHI front wheel conversion kit now poweeeing my bicycle. I am aware that the unit is not compatible with my lishui controller but nevertheless wondered whether a simple rewire of the 5 pon JULET would work?

I have purchased 1x 5 pins JULET cables, each with one end plain wires so think I could connect the correct words once I work out which ones.
Currently the display powers the pas assistance and works fine for five minutes. I then have to press the on button and get another five minutes. I do not see displayed:
Battery charge
Speed
Distance

I do see PAS but suspect that it is always level 5 and runs for five minutes only which I can live with if need be.
Does anyone know whether I can match the 5 pin config for the display to that of the output of the controller? It would be nice to get the battery strength to display. The display that came with he kit is a c500 which works fine though is a but big for my liking. The KT-4 is really slim and looks great
Thank you all!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They use different comms, so it won't work for most settings and some functions. It'll work as a switch to switch on the controller because that's an independent function, and I think it shows the battery level because that's also independent, but I'm not sure about that. That's about it. To get those functions you must connect the battery positives (red), negatives (black) and switch wires (blue)

Many controllers will give some basic functions when switched on. Often the throttle works and you get a fixed level of PAS. If you have those working and the battery level doesn't show, you're out on that one. Without a speed signal from the controller, the LCD will put it to sleep according to the sleep timer setting, which you can adjust in the LCD. One of the setting parameters in the LCD is the comms protocol. You could try different settings to see if the battery level will display.

Why not buy a KT controller? They don't cost much and are better than a LiShui one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Incompatibility as already mentioned , one has to match the controller and display as a pair . One can't mix and match differing brands and expect them to work.

MikeyRides46

Jul 11, 2023
I found a KT controller and had a dinner question. So please excuse me for asking.
The controller has a female 9 pin (JULET style) connector. The KT-lcd4 has a 5 pin JULET (green male) connector.
I thought that strange but wondered whether the connector would fit and work?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
In the past I have seen a mention that 9 pin KT wiring includes a circuit for lights, the 8 pin KT wiring doesn't.
If (a big if!) that's right, I'd expect it to be possible to connect 8 & 9 pin KT equipment if you can rewire the connections.

Comms issues still rule out connecting KT & non-KT equipment together.

Hope it helps, feel free to ignore if it's not relevant.

MikeyRides46

Jul 11, 2023
In the past I have seen a mention that 9 pin KT wiring includes a circuit for lights, the 8 pin KT wiring doesn't.
If (a big if!) that's right, I'd expect it to be possible to connect 8 & 9 pin KT equipment if you can rewire the connections.

Comms issues still rule out connecting KT & non-KT equipment together.

Hope it helps, feel free to ignore if it's not relevant.
Thank you for the advice.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Finding lishui controllers is like find a neddle in a haystack.