Riese+Muller Delite 2018 Nuvinci Review

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Hey. I said I'd post about the buy here it is:

So, I don't have the choice of driving. That isn't because i was a bad guy, just got unlucky and diagnosed with epilepsy. That sucked.

So then my transport options are limited. Ok. Either bus it or get on a bike.

I decided that I would try and find something as close as comfortable and as close to utilatarian as a car in the ebike category, and this bike was it

I've only done 10 miles on this so far, but already it lives up to what I hoped of it.

This bike is expensive, just under 6 grand, but the feeling I get riding it is at least for the short term I've experienced, worth it.

If you need like me a valid constant means of transport outside of jumping on a motorbike or slipping in a car, this thing is the one to go to..

I will add more detail across a few posts. But the main one and the initial result seems like - the outlay is worth it because F me, it's so comfortable and fun i wanna just go out and ride for no reason ;)

More in depth findings to come.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There must be lot to like about Riese & Muller bikes generally judging by those on this forum that own variations of the one you've just bought, and I'm sure it's a great choice for you in your circumstances, and that you'll be very happy with it.

But, to be controversial (don't hate me), what I personally HATE about R&M bikes:

1) The weight

2) The price

3) The Bosch CX motor sounds like a pimped milk-float at the best of times. With the suppressed/lack of noise of the NV or RH gearing/carbon belt drive (for those that have that option in preference to a chain and Deore gearing), it sounds absurdly whiney. Other crank-drive motors are more powerful, as/more reliable, and noticeably quieter.

4) The frame. I accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to some R&M frames have a certain functional, purposeful Germanic design appeal. But the Taiwanese build has some seriously dubious welds on it: I've seen better welding on a farm gate... check out various publicity shots and EBR reviews - the welding around that head-tube is in particular (in many, many cases) well below the standard found on many £1000 Chinese bikes - although R&M try to disguise quite how bad it often is with those nifty clip-on water bottles that covers that particular weld (although the other welds aren't always great either). The frame brand printing also often appears very ropey (not clean and crisp, as even the cheapest of e-bike makers do usually achieve).

You can buy a very slick Carbon-framed eMTB that makes R&M frames look like a child welded it together... add a quieter, as powerful/reliable Bafang Max-drive crank drive, a Suntour Air fork with remote, Tektro hydraulics, Deore gearing, colour display, Schwalbe tyres, 500Wh Panasonic battery... Made in Eastern Europe... and it costs just £2000 shipped into the UK. And it weighs LESS than 20Kg. In the face of that kind of European competition, I don't see how R&M have the nerve to charge what they do.

£6000? I just don't see it in terms of material value. Sorry to pop your balloon. Just a personal view.

Last edited:

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Wow. :(

Yeah maybe you have a point :D

I don't know if it's just mine or the way I ride but I have not noticed any noise from the motor at all yet. Anyway I'm going out for a ride. I'll see if I can make it noisy!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There's a certain industrial beauty in the bird poo welds on R&M frames.

A passer-by approached me to admire mine, not the bike, the welds, the guy said he was a welder and liked to see the job done well.

The overall finish on R&M bikes is pretty good, and the build quality of mine was excellent.

Given that in a lot of cases R&M bikes are not so much more than other premium brands, they can be reasonable value.

My Charger has twin batteries and a Rohloff hub.

Having screwed a discount out of the supplier, it wasn't that expensive given that Bosch batteries are £700 a pop retail, and a Rohloff wheel £1,000.

R&M also offer spec some other makers do not - Rohloff, twin batteries, full-sus on a touring/trekking bike rather than an mtb, and belt drive.

R&M bikes appear to be reliable, and look made to last.

I will guarantee Cyclebuddy's super carbon Chinese emtb won't be on the road in a couple of years.

Something like a Cube might give the best longevity/value compromise, assuming you don't want a high spec bike.

Reactions: TZC and EddiePJ

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I'm happy to have a discussion about if you're better off buying 3 two grand ebikes over 6+ years or slpashing out once on a bike like this one, just not in this thread. With respect guys.

I hope to leave a bit of info out here for anyone else who is considering getting a bike like this- there isn't much out there at the moment. And I will not be trying to justify the price just give my honest opinions good and bad.

I'll think about it a while and add some useful info later :)

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I am still after a R&M Delite GX Rohloff, but, am waiting for it to come as standard with the E14 electronic changer. I know I can get a Mountain which comes with the E14 and then convert it to look like the GX, but, will wait to see what late 2018 brings. Also, I wonder if they will convert the Delite range to a frame batteries in the future.

This bike is everything I need from an Ebike, so, happy to wait.

Where did you get yours from TZC please?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Hi nash. I had a tough time deciding if to go for a r+m rohloff supercharger - integrated batteries- or the old style delite with the bonus of rear suspension. The thudbuster on the supercharger might well counter full suspension or at least come close.

The reason I picked the nuvinci ultimately aside from full sus was because I wanted the hassle free belt drive. And sadly they couldn't fit that along with the rohloff. I'm not 100% sure I made the right decision yet, but so far so good..

A rohloff may have been a bit overkill for the way I'm using the bike. Just let me say I love overkill. Probably shows with the choice of bike. I still sorta wish I chose that just to have the most expensive version. Just because. However though it's a sign I did good slowly growing up having not chosen that way, lol

The 380 sticks a little. It's not the end of the world but isn't perfect- you have to stop pedalling occasionally to move the gearing. But the range of gearing seems perfect for the bike though. There's plenty of range left after the motor fades out at about 16.5 mph for you to keep pushing.

There's no hill this bike can't manage basically. I purposely took it up a big long gradient today to test it. As long as you don't mind going slow then this will take you up anything without expecting a sweat. I love how the dual batteries will switch load after each 5% drain to give each other a break, elongating the lifetime of both.

I bought the bike at onbike
https://www.onbike.co.uk/

That was something I wanted to mention, the guy I spoke to was just wonderful. Really. No pushing just facts. No assumptions he knew more than you, just friendly information and he knew plenty. So another fun ride but yet to go on a big 20 mile mission.. that wil come soon. cya later

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Oh here's another bit of info I should have posted. The NYON trip computer (extra) says I could expect around 150 miles on eco mode. o_O

That's cool. Basically charge once a week.

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
Hey. I said I'd post about the buy here it is:

So, I don't have the choice of driving. That isn't because i was a bad guy, just got unlucky and diagnosed with epilepsy. That sucked.

So then my transport options are limited. Ok. Either bus it or get on a bike.

I decided that I would try and find something as close as comfortable and as close to utilatarian as a car in the ebike category, and this bike was it

I've only done 10 miles on this so far, but already it lives up to what I hoped of it.

This bike is expensive, just under 6 grand, but the feeling I get riding it is at least for the short term I've experienced, worth it.

If you need like me a valid constant means of transport outside of jumping on a motorbike or slipping in a car, this thing is the one to go to..

I will add more detail across a few posts. But the main one and the initial result seems like - the outlay is worth it because F me, it's so comfortable and fun i wanna just go out and ride for no reason ;)

More in depth findings to come.
If you like it and it suits you then good for you, get plenty of miles in and enjoy.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My own slight issue is that you cannot review a bike in any meaningful way after 10 miles use.

However that is easily solved if you keep posting as your total milage increases.

Everyone after buying a bike will hope that it will turn out to be fantastic.

I really like the look of the Delite model as a do it all full suspension bike and agree with Rob that Reise and Muller do offer a high quality individual approach, and I like for example the way panniers can be carried on a full suspension bike.

I do wish you all the best with your purchase.

It will be really interesting to hear back after several hundreds of miles and a few months use to get some proper feedback on how the bike works in use.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
R&M bikes appear to be reliable, and look made to last.
They may look it, but that doesn't seem to be Dmitri's experience having had a few issues with his R&M Delite. Nice to see an objective review not blinded by the usual subjective hype.

I will guarantee Cyclebuddy's super carbon Chinese emtb won't be on the road in a couple of years.
Mmmm. You didn't read that properly - the £2000 Carbon frame eMTB I referred to is made in Europe, just not Germany (It's Czech, not Chinese). My comparison was simply to question the material value being offered by R&M - not debate whether a lower-cost bike replaced more often would be a better option. To be fair to the Chinese, there must be many 10's of 1000's of old Chinese ebikes still running without fault.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
They may look it, but that doesn't seem to be Dmitri's experience having had a few issues with his R&M Delite. Nice to see an objective review not blinded by the usual subjective hype.

Mmmm. You didn't read that properly - the £2000 Carbon frame eMTB I referred to is made in Europe, just not Germany (It's Czech, not Chinese). My comparison was simply to question the material value being offered by R&M - not debate whether a lower-cost bike replaced more often would be a better option. To be fair to the Chinese, there must be many 10's of 1000's of old Chinese ebikes still running without fault.
So you've trawled the internet to find a negative review of a Riese and Muller bike.

I'm assuming it's negative, since I can't be bothered to watch 25 minutes of video.

This thread is for a review of the OP's bike.

That's what people are interested in, we've heard the 'overpriced' and 'Chinese bikes are brilliant' arguments many times before.

Nothing to stop you posting the same stuff, but since your only interest seems to be slagging off Riese and Muller you should start a separate thread to do that in the general section.

I doubt you will be attracted by forum etiquette, but the OP has just bought an expensive new bike.

Jumping on his thread to slag it off is bad form.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Oh dear. I guess some people are overly sensitive aren’t they? I thought this was a discussion about the OP’s bike (choice of bike as much as anything). I obviously misunderstood. I thought I made it clear that I was simply expressing a personal opinion, and my opening gambit was to wish him well with it. The OP seemed to agree that maybe this bike isn’t for everyone. But still, I’ll duck out now before it gets any more flamed than it already has become. Sorry for any offence caused.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I'm really happy for you, TZC (if that is indeed your real name), and I hope you grow more to love it every day. I found my bike to be a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but after having settled-in, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Bikes are personal, after all, and if you like it, screw the naysayers.

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
Oh dear. I guess some people are overly sensitive aren’t they? I thought this was a discussion about the OP’s bike (choice of bike as much as anything). I obviously misunderstood. I thought I made it clear that I was simply expressing a personal opinion, and my opening gambit was to wish him well with it. The OP seemed to agree that maybe this bike isn’t for everyone. But still, I’ll duck out now before it gets any more flamed than it already has become. Sorry for any offence caused.
This just feels weird, tbh. OP has a really nice new bike and he is excited about it and shared that with us. I enjoyed his post and I look forward to hearing about how he gets on with it. I would also have enjoyed his post if he'd bought a different bike. I like ebikes and I come here: (a) to learn more about them; and (b) to hang out with other like-minded folk. it would never occur.to me.to question someone else's choice of ebike, as we all live different lives and have different views of things. Why even comment if you would not have bought the same bike? Tell us about your bike and how you get on with it.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
My own slight issue is that you cannot review a bike in any meaningful way after 10 miles use.

However that is easily solved if you keep posting as your total milage increases.
Yes, I jumped into creating a thread early expecting to put update posts in for quite some time. The opening post I'm aware didn't say much just gave a background to why I chose it. And maybe I ought to have just kept notes for a couple of months and then posted an in detail main post.

Because it feels now like any relevant information will be scattered across debate weakening the eventual usefulness to people considering getting one, and as I said this wasn't really meant for debate if they're any good or worth the money. It was meant to be opinion from someone (me) or even including anyone else on here who own and ride one who wants to chime in.

I put it in the review section on purpose ;)

I watched the video review by the way cyclebuddy. It looks as if that man takes cycling a lot more seriously than I do.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Why even comment if you would not have bought the same bike?
I don't see it as a problem.

By sharing an opinion negative or otherwise about a review irrelevant of the respondents bike ownership, gives perhaps unconsidered thought to potential purchasers. Without questioning or offering opinion, a review is just stale and biased for or against by the person writing the review. Provided that they are polite and offer reason, opinions, good or bad, should be encouraged, not discouraged.

Last edited:

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I'm disappointed how this thread is going to say the least. I've asked it to be removed, maybe I will throw up a bunch of information after owning and riding the bike for a significant amount of time instead. Or maybe I ought to try a different forum next time.

Did you really need to call my post a weird life story PJ? I SAID why I was mentioning those things, it's tied to the bike choice. I think that was an unusual and crappy thing to say the point for me was to share something good and useful.

And what happens? just a bunch of bickering. Carry on then.:rolleyes:

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
I'm disappointed how this thread is going to say the least. I've asked it to be removed, maybe I will throw up a bunch of information after owning and riding the bike for a significant amount of time instead. Or maybe I ought to try a different forum next time.

Did you really need to call my post a weird life story PJ? I SAID why I was mentioning those things, it's tied to the bike choice. I think that was an unusual and crappy thing to say the point for me was to share something good and useful.

And what happens? just a bunch of bickering. Carry on then.:rolleyes:
Please don't give up on us! I for one want to hear how you get on.

Related Articles

Advertisers