Riese+Muller Delite 2018 Nuvinci Review

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Please don't give up on us! I for one want to hear how you get on.
I agree. I for one didn't mean to derail your thread - just add an alternative point of view. Your impressions of your new bike is important in that it provides a very useful additional perspective to those that may be considering purchase of a high-end e-bike that few could afford even if they wanted to.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
I agree. I for one didn't mean to derail your thread - just add an alternative point of view. Your impressions of your new bike is important in that it provides a very useful additional perspective to those that may be considering purchase of a high-end e-bike that few could afford even if they wanted to.
Even when you try to be even-handed, your comments are contentious.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackbird

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Delite is perfect long distance tourer and car replacement. It's the only FS ebike tourer that I know of. Dual batteries and 25kg rack which benefits from suspension is unique.

After riding FS and Hardtail eMTB on rougher roads there is no comparsion in ride quality. Quality suspension seatposts on hardtail help your butt, but don't stop back wheel bouncing around along with luggage.

I've setup a FS with Thule rack on back but is limited to 11kg and is not supported by suspension, may actually affect it as is part of unsprung weight.

R&M prices maybe a bit steep but they have brilliant bike designs. Look at Nevo and Homages, step throughs that are capable of taking on moderate MTB tracks.

• Agree
Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have to agree Trevormonty. A dual battery delite with rohloff hub would make as good a long distance all terrain tourer that I can think of. I think the rear rack is an inspired bit of thinking to allow you to carry panniers in an elegant way on a full suspension bike and in so doing removing punishment from both you, your luggage and the rear wheel.

Last edited:

Blackbird

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2018
That bike is a seriously awesome piece of kit, looks very nice! I’m curious to see how you like the nuvinci, i’ve read it is a cvt transmission, how do you operate it?

If you don’t mind, i have a question about the dual battery system. Can you take one off and fully charge it and put it back on the bike with the other battery at only half charge? Or do they need to be at the same level of charge?

And do not pay much attention to the haters, ofcourse no discussion can be had without a counter argument but there is no need to start bashing on someones pride and joy.

Again love the bike, got some more pics?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
And do not pay much attention to the haters, ofcourse no discussion can be had without a counter argument but there is no need to start bashing on someones pride and joy.

Again love the bike, ...
Yup. totally agree.

I just want dozens of people to buy Stromer ST5 bikes and start posting THOSE reviews here. That would be fun. I think the admins would have to change the background from mellow purple to 'seething green' :)
I can just imagine the flood of 'we don't need no stinkin torque sensor' threads :):)

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
That bike is a seriously awesome piece of kit, looks very nice! I’m curious to see how you like the nuvinci, i’ve read it is a cvt transmission, how do you operate it?
So it's quite responsive indeed almost too responsive really, because there's a fairly limited range of turning between lowest and highest gear on the handlebar. It's a little hard to make small enough adjustments to suit. You have to grip the turn shift hard and move it a very small increment to stay in the suggested cadence on higher modes than eco. Maybe that will loosen up with time? I don't know.

Also, the power of the motor will often lock the balls and oil inside meaning you have to stop pedalling for a second to change up - down is much happier to carry on - but I find out later that that applies to the rohloff version too,
but also that is prone to slipping internal gears if pushed too hard, and that's not a problem with the nuvinci. Also if you think of it as a moped you'd have to engage clutch between gears anyway - and that idea helped me get used to it. It's only a matter of about half a second cutting pedalling to switch gear

Another thing I am just about used to now, but it took a while is that turning up gets you easier pedalling and lower speeds, down is more resistance. I'm not sure if that's against the norm or not since I had a click shift for 10 years.. but it felt weird to me and I was for a long time expecting it to be the other way - though I find out later that the rohloff works the same. Might just be a personal oddity.

If you don’t mind, i have a question about the dual battery system. Can you take one off and fully charge it and put it back on the bike with the other battery at only half charge? Or do they need to be at the same level of charge?

Yes. The batteries will once back on the bike self balance. So if you want to go out with only one for convenience eg not lugging two around with you when shopping or meeting people etc once you get back just put the other one back on they will self correct and you're good to go.

Did a 35 mile ride lately, nice big hill too.

I'm pretty heavy, around 22 stone. I mostly used turbo. And there was 32% charge left between the two batteries from a full charge setting off. One thing I definitely noticed was this bosch system requires more from you than my old Eezee kit.. I had a harder time getting up that elevation! But really though that's a good thing health wise. On turbo I still seem to put in around 32% of the work. My choice of speed. And torque sensing I guess.

I ran the speed up to around 36mph down that hill you can see below - the full suspension really is something on average roads. It just gives a lot more stability and confidence it really does. No more watching the road directly in front looking out for potholes - I mean there's still a few you'd want to dodge but if they're big enough to dodge they're big enough to catch without much observance.

I went down the same hill on my old kit bike, hardtail, at around 30mph with normal disc brakes and that was pretty scary, decided not to do that again :)

while I got a little rush this time I didn't feel like I was pushing my luck on the R+M.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The FS definitely makes a difference, on my MTB 60-70kmh is no problem, bike is rock solid. At same speeds on hardtail I'm lot more on edge.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I'm trying to get the right custom modes at the moment.
I want to figure out where to put the custom settings that get me moving fast, while still allowing me to put most of the work in.

Ok let me explain. With Nyon, you can decide 4 power settings for yourself alongside the default 4, switchable at any time, provided you pay 5 quid up front. Pff look at that I'd complain usually but since I paid such an extortionate amount for the frickin bike why bother. What's a fkn fiver on top.

I have been experimenting with the custom settings and I have got something that will propel you from stopping to startup but lay off at 6 mph to leave you to it.

How fast can you go?

The range calculator (also 5 quid - what a pisstake) which takes into account the lay of the land around you, hills and whatever, is pretty cool to have but to be honest I would expect to have both as standard.

I can see I have more range avoiding the hills, it's neat for what it is, but really it's not on in my opinion worth asking another tenner for that range feature.

I'm at least glad I paid for the custom 4 motor settings though, because I have 3 settings to tweak just how much assistance is needed to pull off from lights for instance, then drop it all - so I can get a workout like any normal bike after the initial kickoff. And I leave the 4th at 300% until it craps out at 17 mph

Edit: It's like a mini moped if you let it go, I love it.. 300% assistance means 3 turns on the nuvinci gearing, about 6 seconds, and you're going 17. Not bad considering nobody stopping you can dispute you're legal

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I would like to hear how you get on. We also have one in stock which we will be selling off for 20% off as well as some other 2018 R&M bikes. I love their bikes something a bit different. Don't give up there is plenty of people who would like to know about your ongoing experiences.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Have to say I'm loving it. It's so smooth. I have tweaked the custom settings to allow my preferred 'exercise' settings now, I have two very weak assists helping me up to about 6 mph. And a windy version that pumps power in gradually lowering until the 15mph cutoff, and the final 300% until 14 mph and you can't have any more! 4th choice :D

The bike is so smooth I can ride this heavy abstad at 13 mph on my own power easy, get it up to 15 with a little effort. Excactly what I'd like. Getting a little workout while being comfortable.

The birds**t welding hasn't failed me - yet

Reactions: theloafer

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sounds like you are having fun.

Those custom settings sound a good way to fine tune the way the bike supports your efforts to take into account your weight, fitness terrain etc and you can obviously change them as your fitness improves, weight reduces or how the mood takes you.

I also went from a Chinese hub powered bike to a torque sensor Yamaha PU and find I naturally get a lot more exercise (in a good way) from the Yamaha system.

I bought my bike in 2015 and at that time the Yamaha system had three support levels eco standard and high. The following year they added a fourth super eco setting which I would have liked to have had. As I have got used to using the system I find that I ride predominantly in eco and only use the middle standard level of support to climb steeper hills quicker on my ride home from work.

On a route where I know the gradients well and have no time pressure I ride with the motor off where the gradient allows and although an electric bike is a heavy lump compared with a non electric bike I have got used to it and fine the Yamaha PU system rides really well switched off with no apparent drag from the motor.

I still use my hub powered bike for shopping and general popping into town errands and although you can still put in as much of your own effort as you like it is an easier and more relaxing ride, certainly in flatter terrain. It is a 2011 model with 3 support levels and a throttle and these combine to create a fast and nippy very easy to ride about town load hauler.

When I know my journey to work is going to be all on the road I have started using the hub powered bike again as apart from the steeper hills I encounter where it quickly bogs down and I have to knuckle down and put the effort in, elsewhere it is a relaxing way to commute.

Very basically off road riding and riding to improve fitness has to be done on the Yamaha but road riding can be done on either with the hub a less full on more relaxing experience and errands/shopping a preference for the hub powered bike.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Have to say I'm loving it. It's so smooth. I have tweaked the custom settings to allow my preferred 'exercise' settings now, I have two very weak assists helping me up to about 6 mph. And a windy version that pumps power in gradually lowering until the 15mph cutoff, and the final 300% until 14 mph and you can't have any more! 4th choice :D

The bike is so smooth I can ride this heavy abstad at 13 mph on my own power easy, get it up to 15 with a little effort. Excactly what I'd like. Getting a little workout while being comfortable.

The birds**t welding hasn't failed me - yet
Thanks for the review, most appreciated.

I’m considering one of these bikes, I haven’t ridden one yet but am thinking the ride quality is going to be vastly superior to a hard tail bike. Can you comment on this?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
You can adjust the suspension to how soft or hard you like front and back so it's vastly superior, yeah. I never get off the seat any more even over speedbumps at 15mph. I wouldn't go up kerbs on it mind, standing up sitting down or however fast :D Down at a slow speed is ok though

You need to try one out if you can. It only took around 2 minutes on one for me to be sold, as I was also considering getting a hardtail r+m supercharger

Reactions: git-r

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can adjust the suspension to how soft or hard you like front and back so it's vastly superior, yeah. I never get off the seat any more even over speedbumps at 15mph. I wouldn't go up kerbs on it mind, standing up sitting down or however fast :D Down at a slow speed is ok though

You need to try one out if you can. It only took around 2 minutes on one for me to be sold, as I was also considering getting a hardtail r+m supercharger
I never get out of the seat except for coming of a footpath onto the road when I have to go a little faster than usual to force my way into traffic. Big Ben tyres inflated to the correct pressure and NCX seat post. Speed bump technique is to accelerate in to put the front suspension under tension and coming off you feel the effect of the seat post wiping out the shock of landing. Did I say I have the worst suspension forks in the world? :rolleyes:

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015

Thanks for that. Most of my journey is over speed bumps so this is good to hear :)
How many miles has it done now?
Any creaks or annoying things you've found?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I never get out of the seat except for coming of a footpath onto the road when I have to go a little faster than usual to force my way into traffic. Big Ben tyres inflated to the correct pressure and NCX seat post. Speed bump technique is to accelerate in to put the front suspension under tension and coming off you feel the effect of the seat post wiping out the shock of landing. Did I say I have the worst suspension forks in the world? :rolleyes:
Yeah well, I never had a NCX seat post. So there's a big difference. Is there a problem saying my bike is good here or something? :rolleyes:

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Nothing annoying except that the nuvinci gearing can slip down the gearing gradually when pushing in high 'gears'

I only experience that while hand off the handlebar vaping, Usually I hold the grip like a moped throttle anyway

• Informative

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Nothing annoying except that the nuvinci gearing can slip down the gearing gradually when pushing in high 'gears'

I only experience that while hand off the handlebar vaping, Usually I hold the grip like a moped throttle anyway
Thanks for that. Lol I’m picturing you riding and vaping at the same time!
So it’s like you have to hold onto the grip to stop it changing gear?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
yeah but it's only gradual. And stops when the power pressure reduces. Doesn't go all the way back or anything, just a fraction, you can feel yourself pedalling quicker :D

Related Articles

Advertisers