Riese+Muller Delite 2018 Nuvinci Review

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
yeah but it's only gradual. And stops when the power pressure reduces. Doesn't go all the way back or anything, just a fraction, you can feel yourself pedalling quicker :D
Thanks again for feedback :)

How is the gearing? What speed does it max out if you’re going down hill?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
The gearing is just right really, basing it on no dongle. No it is, I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to sell the bike but the low is really low and the high I guess stops being useful around 30 ish.. I did 36mph downhill once but I don't think that was it, just that that was as fast as I dared

Something I'd say against the nuvinci 380 but doesn't apply on an ebike is without the assistance it might get aggravating trying to tweak the gearing to be just right so much. It's not quite far enough between one extreme and the other to me. But, with power you don't need to worry about that as much

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
The gearing is just right really, basing it on no dongle. No it is, I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to sell the bike but the low is really low and the high I guess stops being useful around 30 ish.. I did 36mph downhill once but I don't think that was it, just that that was as fast as I dared

Something I'd say against the nuvinci 380 but doesn't apply on an ebike is without the assistance it might get aggravating trying to tweak the gearing to be just right so much. It's not quite far enough between one extreme and the other to me. But, with power you don't need to worry about that as much
Thanks again for your feedback.

So 30mph is possible with standard gearing? About 25mph without too fast pedalling would be perfect for me.

I tried the gt nuvinci delite a couple of days ago and was so impressed. Have left a deposit and will buy subject to test ride in which I hope to be able to answer some of my own questions but it’s been so helpful having your input.

Potentially collecting on Monday, can’t wait!! :)

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Well I meant 30 is like around where you can't move the pedals quick enough to be any use downhill so. I don't think 25 or near will be a problem though if you can get it going that fast.. To me, the 17.5 mph the motor will give restricted is enough. The bike costs a lot and I didn't want to have any worries about getting caught out even if that is unlikely :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Well I meant 30 is like around where you can't move the pedals quick enough to be any use downhill so. I don't think 25 or near will be a problem though if you can get it going that fast.. To me, the 17.5 mph the motor will give restricted is enough. The bike costs a lot and I didn't want to have any worries about getting caught out even if that is unlikely :)
That’s fine, if I need more speed with gearing presumably I can use something from the HS nuvinci version.

Thanks, yes very excited! :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That’s fine, if I need more speed with gearing presumably I can use something from the HS nuvinci version.

Thanks, yes very excited! :)
Chances are the HS version will be slightly higher geared.

Changing the gear range on a hub gear would usually be fairly simple - smaller cog on the back or bigger ring on the front - and a possible change of chain length.

Your situation is complicated by the belt, fewer belt-compatible cogs are available, but more importantly changing the length of the belt is not possible.

Money, as always, will solve the problem, the belt and cogs from a HS bike would fit yours.

Belts cost about £100, a lot compared to a chain, and no doubt the belt will be special order.

• Informative

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Chances are the HS version will be slightly higher geared.

Changing the gear range on a hub gear would usually be fairly simple - smaller cog on the back or bigger ring on the front - and a possible change of chain length.

Your situation is complicated by the belt, fewer belt-compatible cogs are available, but more importantly changing the length of the belt is not possible.

Money, as always, will solve the problem, the belt and cogs from a HS bike would fit yours.

Belts cost about £100, a lot compared to a chain, and no doubt the belt will be special order.
Thanks for this.
According to the RM website both the standard model and HS model both have a 26t chain ring and 28t pinion. I can’t see any difference on the specifications on the website.
The salesman thinks they’re the same too but I can’t imagine they would be geared the same would they?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I don't know, but I could believe it. Because there's plenty of room left to push the bike on after 17.5 in the gearing.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
You do know that getting the HS version means it's technically a moped and you need a license, road tax, insurance and a helmet to ride it then don't you.. As I said the extra 8mph ish wasn't worth it to me. Basically getting a dongle would make mine a HS too.

Not trying to preach you do what you will but I'm just saying.. I had a 1100 quid kit bike and used to do 22mph easy on it in the right conditions eg nobody around ;)

And unless you're gonna go through the motions to get it legal it probably will be best not to attract attention using the full capabilities of the bike, quite often

At least with a dongle you might say.. Hm I didn't know what that was.. Just to say one more thing - on my old 'cheap' ebike I got followed by police for about 200 yds, after they noticed me going quite quick. I saw them in the rear view mirror right? So I immediately turned the power down, stopped pedalling.

Then I made a big act of being knackered for a while, labouring the bike on.. before slowing down almost pulling over for them to pass. They didn't. I looked behind, saw them, saw me, lost interest ;)

Just saying that because it's not impossible to get caught out clearly. And I'd rather be on my 1100 quid bike than my 5k+ bike if I do lol

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for this.
According to the RM website both the standard model and HS model both have a 26t chain ring and 28t pinion. I can’t see any difference on the specifications on the website.
The salesman thinks they’re the same too but I can’t imagine they would be geared the same would they?
If the teeth are the same then the gearing must be the same.

In the case of the Charger/Rohloff, the HS version is geared slightly higher.

The HS would only need to be geared to be pedalled at 28mph, which as TZC says is not that high a top gear if you can manage a swiftish cadence.

One of the benefits of a Rohloff is its wide range, much wider than most hub gears and nearly as wide as a mountain triple.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
526% range on a rohloff, vs 380% on the nuvinci. Big difference and I was thinking get the best for a long while, but in the end I felt like do I really need that.. Or am I chasing the best for the sake of it.

I think that on an Ebike with a performance cx motor there'd just be a fair number of gears overall that you just can skip :confused: And is it worth the extra in that sense? It probably would outlast the bike and get put on a new one though at some point providing it doesn't outlast you, ;)

I'm happy with my choice.

Reactions: LeighPing and git-r

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Just thought I would add my own comments to the thread.

Although I have my Trek Super Commuter 9+ up for sale, will fund my new e recumbent trike purchase.

So, I have had the NuVinci 380 hub on the Trek, and ridden about 1800 miles with it. I have also owned a Rohloff hub in the past.

The NuVinci does exactly what it says, step less gear changes and very smooth.
The ability to make very small changes to the gear ratio is also very useful.
In fact, the straight chain line has been very kind to chain life.
I have two chains, which I rotate every 500 miles, hardly any noticeable stretch on either chain.

In contrast, the rohloff was similar and had a wider range, but with the ebike power I would class it as a little overkill. Certainly haven’t wished for more gear range and I live in hilly South Wales.

Rohloff is fine, probably less drag, lighter in weight, but more suited in my opinion to a non ebike.

Reactions: git-r and TZC

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for the input Denis99. As I expected with less experience, but either way right or wrong in my opinion it's good to share experience.

Reactions: Denis99

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I picked mine up today and the gearing range is huge with the Nuvinci hub. Absolutely no need to change, it'll do 30mph with comfortable cadence if you can pedal it that hard but still be fine for very steep hills.
Only thing I don't like about it is that physically shifting it is giving me a blister on the inside of my thumb.
I'll do a review in case it helps others :)

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I picked mine up today and the gearing range is huge with the Nuvinci hub. Absolutely no need to change, it'll do 30mph with comfortable cadence if you can pedal it that hard but still be fine for very steep hills.
Only thing I don't like about it is that physically shifting it is giving me a blister on the inside of my thumb.
I'll do a review in case it helps others :)
:D great, glad to hear you're happy and will share here. Get your thumbs up to it and everything's perfect lol

Reactions: git-r and Denis99

Related Articles

Advertisers