Riese & Muller Delite GT Nuvinci 2018 Review

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you start ride with different charge levels, will it use battery with highest charge until its even with 2nd battery?. Eg battery A is 30% battery B 60%, run on B till its 30%.

Something for you R&M riders to test.
With a dual battery set up like that I would want to be sure both batteries are fairly equal and would use it as a dual set up all the time. If they are in parallel they need to be with 0.5v of each other.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Battery sag is only noticeable on an ageing/ailing battery when a load is applied or applying a load on a good battery when SOC is low and then the lvc will cut in.
Or when your system is badly designed and/or the quality of the battery isn't up to delivering what's being asked of it to drive the motor.

My original comment was a gentle dig at the people who have a go at the mainstream Bosch/Yamaha/Shimano bikes. They might be more expensive than a DIY approach or a cheap chinese based system, but there is solid engineering and design behind them and the lack of appreciable battery sag is one of those aspects that people seem to ignore.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
With a dual battery set up like that I would want to be sure both batteries are fairly equal and would use it as a dual set up all the time. If they are in parallel they need to be with 0.5v of each other.
While the above is applicable for a simple parallel connection, I'd place a small wager that its totally incorrect for the bosch method of doing it, because from what I've read, the controller never actually connects both batteries together, but instead intelligently monitors and switches the individual batteries in and out of circuit.
However I don't currently own a dual battery system, so as Trevormonty as asked, it would be good for an actual user to try it out and tell us how it gets implemented.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The dual battery system is typically Bosch - it works well, but there's nothing the user can do to tinker with it.

From what I can gather by looking at the display, it sips power alternately from each battery, it certainly seems to charge that way.

Installing one flat and one fully charged battery makes no difference, the system appears to use the fuller battery more until they are equal.

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
If you start ride with different charge levels, will it use battery with highest charge until its even with 2nd battery?. Eg battery A is 30% battery B 60%, run on B till its 30%.

Something for you R&M riders to test.
Good question.

I picked the bike up with the 2 batteries connected and they were both full.

On the display it shows 2 batteries (unlike my old CX display).
One battery is shaded and the other appears normal so guess this is the one that’s being used. It alternates between the two.

I’m not sure when I’ll get the chance to try one flatter battery and one fully charged as you describe but will give it a try and report back :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
The dual battery system is typically Bosch - it works well, but there's nothing the user can do to tinker with it.

From what I can gather by looking at the display, it sips power alternately from each battery, it certainly seems to charge that way.

Installing one flat and one fully charged battery makes no difference, the system appears to use the fuller battery more until they are equal.
That saves me trying it, thanks!

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
150 miles....

All seems good, seat creak has gone by itself and incredibly it seems a manufacturer can produce a bike that doesn’t sound like a bad of spanners.

It’s SO comfortable compared to my old bikes, cannot stress this enough!

And when it’s properly wet it’s very difficult to change gear as my hand just slips on the rubber grip.

Will do a proper review at 500 miles. Then update at 1k etc.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
it seems a manufacturer can produce a bike that doesn’t sound like a bad of spanners.
That's what I mean by R&M bikes being nicely made.

Decent quality components is one thing, but putting them together properly is just as important.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
700 Mile Update:

Kick stand can rattle over bumps and has once lowered whilst riding.

Seat post making same noise as before.

Otherwise silent :)

Rear pads will need changing soon, think that’s better than my last bike.

Front tyre still not replaced, bulge is getting worse so I must sort that ASAP.

Still find the gear change too stiff unless wearing gloves. Otherwise it’s worked as it should, belt drive and nuvinci hub work brilliantly, so many positives using daily. It’s like an automatic car.

Fingers crossed we’re moving further out of London, possibly before Christmas. If this happens I intend to use the bike as a primary commuter and cover 16 miles each way. Think this will be fine :)

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and theloafer

Dan R&M

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2019
Worcester, UK
www.r-m.de
Bosch have had a good few battery updates towards the end of last year, if you don't have the latest firmware let me know and I will arrange to get it updated for you (to get the version hold the i and reset when on together for 5 seconds then scroll with the light button), latest battery version v1.8. Know that 5 seconds applied to charging to preserve battery life but sure it is not applicable to discharge.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Bosch have had a good few battery updates towards the end of last year, if you don't have the latest firmware let me know and I will arrange to get it updated for you (to get the version hold the i and reset when on together for 5 seconds then scroll with the light button), latest battery version v1.8. Know that 5 seconds applied to charging to preserve battery life but sure it is not applicable to discharge.
Many thanks for this! I will check!
Thanks again :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
UPDATE:

6 months old.
1.6k miles.

I mentioned earlier in the thread we were hoping to move house and am very happy to report this went through and we’re now enjoying our new “palace” :)

My commute is now 17 miles each way.

Google maps says my journey should take 1.5 hours by car. It’s taking me about 1 hour on the ebike and saving £19 every time in train fares :)

PROBLEMS:
Last week a cable to the hub gears failed. It was pretty inconvenient but was very lucky it failed on the way home so I wasn’t late for work.

The rear mud guard rattles badly.

The Nuvinci hub has oil weeping slightly. It also slips with a loud click if I stand on the pedal going up steep hills.

The seat is creaking badly.

The tyres get hardly any grip in the cold weather on the road, I’ve never come off but a couple of times at walking pace the front has slid completely unexpectedly. I do a lot of motorsport so have a basic understanding of tyres, not impressed with these as from day one they weren’t round.

Battery life:
With my new commute I’m now using both batteries. I leave with both fully charged and after 17 miles both are about half full. I charge one at work so it’s full and use the other that’s half full on my return journey. I notice a drop off in performance towards the end of the journey and the bike starts to feel heavy and slow.
This bike will only cover about 35 miles on both batteries which isn’t that great considering my old ebike would do about 20 on 1 battery.

Nuvinci shifter:
I mentioned earlier that it’s impossoble to change gear if it’s properly wet as my hand just slips on the wet rubber. This is still the case.
When dry it’s fine but still causes me blisters if I’m not careful.
The quality of the rubber they’ve used is poor. After only 6 months the grip is already starting to wear out.

Kick stand:
This is more noisy. It rattles annoyingly.

SERIOUS PROBLEM:
The nuvinci hub.
It’s worked brilliantly and initially I was very happy with it. However, after only 6 months it’s likely it will need rebuilding as there are signs of it leaking oil.

I will be most disappointed if this is the case, I didn’t spend 4K on a bike to have to have the gear system rebuilt every 6 months. Anybody considering using this system beware.

I called fudges Epsom today and they were great, they’re going to take a look at it first thing tomorrow so I should at least have back with the cable fixed for Monday.

It all sounds negative but there are many positives about this bike. The comfort, riding position, luggage rack etc.

I’m just disappointed about the little things that suggest to me they didn’t durability test this bike properly.

Will update once it’s back from fudges.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I found much the same as you with my Nuvinci. It sounds like a great idea and is sort of fun at first, but then it started to annoy me. The shifting is too stiff when under load from the motor and all shifting seems much more of a chore than trigger shifting. My cable also broke after about 300 miles. I think it's too thin for its job on a crank driven ebike. Finally, mine started to slip at about 500 miles. I haven't used it since then. I think its weight and poor efficiency cut down your range a lot

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
What tyre pressure are you running on the front tyre? I had a couple of front end slides before dropping the front and cracking a rib. I dropped the pressure in the front tyre and it’s been better. I run marathon mtb’s however.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what you want is one of these and given the price of the bikes should of had one anyway as the total waight of the bike is to much for those cheap hubs why its failing so early like the impulse motors lol ;)
https://www.rohloff.de/en/

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
What tyre pressure are you running on the front tyre? I had a couple of front end slides before dropping the front and cracking a rib. I dropped the pressure in the front tyre and it’s been better. I run marathon mtb’s however.
From memory about 45 psi. Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you’re fully healed now :)

Reactions: Deno

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I’m sure you’re right, but according to the shop the nuvinci hins are good!
well if there that good they can keep fixing it for free if it has any warranty left ;)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I spoke to the shop today, unfortunately I didn’t get the bike back on Sunday.

The salesman that sold me the bike sold it to me by saying I would be provided with a courtesy bike should mine go wrong. Fudges are now saying they’ve never heard of this and that the salesman that sold me the bike no longer works there.

When I tried to get the bike in the car, the quick release on the front wheel came out no problem then fell apart into many different pieces but somehow the wheel had seized on. I couldn’t get it off then when trying to get the bike into the car the plastic cover on the assistance buttons broke and fell off. This is just a cover, the buttons are exposed underneath and still work. Instead of being able to buy the cover I will need the whole assembly plus an extra £20 for coding. A nice little £80 bonus bill.

I’m a fairly big bloke and quite strong but trying to get the RM into the car by myself was very difficult as it’s so heavy, any of our elder members should never try this.

Be warned people, if you own a RM and get a puncture you’re not going to be able to fix it at the road side.

Apparently the shop have freed off the wheel now.

Fingers crossed they’re going to fix it tomorrow so I can collect it soon.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
From memory about 45 psi. Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you’re fully healed now :)
Ah it was a while ago now, all healed. Not sure of your tyre spec but that sounds a bit high for what is supposed to be a soft squidgy tyre - I could be wrong but. Maybe try 5psi drops until it starts to feel better?

Related Articles

Advertisers