Roller Brake Grease

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi

Anyone know where you can get this from, it seems to be in very short supply!

Thanks

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
It seems to be out of stock until end of August everywhere, does anyone know of an suitable alternative, say from motorbikes?

Thanks

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Anyone know if Lithium grease is a suitable alternative? This at Maplin for instance?

White Lithium Grease 400mml > Maplin

It says..

• Long-lasting heavy-duty lubricant
  • Prevents rust and corrosion
  • Water and heat resistant
  • Non-drip formula
  • Operating temperatures from -10°C to 250°C

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You need a high temperature EP (extreme pressure) grease John, and many of these include lithium. I can't say for that Maplin one, but here's a suitable EP one obtainable in a small tube:

EP lithium complex grease

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Looking more at those 2 products, they look very similar, 250C vs 550F, and the cheaper Maplin one says its suitable for just about everything (Machinery, fans, blowers, roller channels, chains, conveyors, bearings, gears, pneumatic tools, blades and bits, Trailer rollers, winches, turnbuckles, shackles, bearings, slides, motor pivot points and all external moving parts).

It looks like it should be suitable for the roller brakes I think, and its bigger and cheaper, hmm

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably ok John, but for a roller brake a grease needs very good shear strength, shown by the EP designation. I don't know if that Maplin one is specified as EP.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Yes I cant see that mentioned anywhere, I am just hopeful that the use on 'winches' would qualify it for this purpose :eek: