Rubbee X Introduction

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
There are different pricing depending on the model. Base model with one battery module is £269, fully upgraded unit with 3 modules is £369. :)
The modules are made from 18650 cells, good for at least 2-3 years of fair use. Warranty is two years though and replacement only costs £45 :)

Thank you for your fast replies.

Reactions: Gedas
D

Deleted member 4366

How many watt-hours are in each of the three battery modules?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am a strong cyclist, d8veh is too so we could probably get 16 km from a charge but most riders would probably get more like 12 or so km.

I do have a use for an on tyre friction drive but not at that price - a reverse "gear" for a vélomobile. There are other ways of doing it but an on tyre drive is the simplest I can think of.

You may have read my earlier posts on other threads, I used to ride a Velosolex and so am not an on tyre drive fan...

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
You said earlier that it is not suitable to change modules while on the go? Why is that. Surely of you have replacement modules, then it would be a simple case of just taking them out and putting the charged ones in?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can ride with one module and replace it with another one at any tome, but what you can't do is ride with one module until it's run down, then inset another one or two with it. All the modules need to be the same voltage (normally fully charged) when you connect them together. You can take any one out at any time, but if you add another, it needs to be at the same voltage as whatever is already in there.

The problem is that lithium batteries go down in voltage as they discharge. If you connect two things at different voltages, the power will rush out of one into the other until the voltage is the same. That rush will blow a fuse or could make something catch fire. the bigger the voltage difference, the bigger the rush.

I can imagine that with one module, you'll get a lot of voltage sag and it would struggle for power, so probably better to run with at least two, or three if you're heavy.

We need someone to be a guinea pig to try one of these things and report back how it performs.

Reactions: Gedas and Clara

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
You can ride with one module and replace it with another one at any tome, but what you can't do is ride with one module until it's run down, then inset another one or two with it. All the modules need to be the same voltage (normally fully charged) when you connect them together. You can take any one out at any time, but if you add another, it needs to be at the same voltage as whatever is already in there.

The problem is that lithium batteries go down in voltage as they discharge. If you connect two things at different voltages, the power will rush out of one into the other until the voltage is the same. That rush will blow a fuse or could make something catch fire. the bigger the voltage difference, the bigger the rush.

I can imagine that with one module, you'll get a lot of voltage sag and it would struggle for power, so probably better to run with at least two, or three if you're heavy.

We need someone to be a guinea pig to try one of these things and report back how it performs.

Thank you for that. That makes sense to me now.