Running BBS01 without display

Bergenhaus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2018
Aberdeen
Hi
Does anyone run their BBS setup without a display like in this article?- https://www.poweredride.com/info/dump-your-bafang-display-for-stealth-and-better-display-options
This appeals to me because I'm going to be parking up my bike in public areas and don't want a screen to attract attention that it's an electric bike worth stealing or the screen itself gets stollen.
I was wondering about doing it by using the USB cable method and powering off the bike by turning off the battery or removing the battery. I plan on carrying the battery with me when off the bike.
I'm not going to have a throttle on my bike anyway and would be happy to have one decent programmed PAS mode.
I've actually got a C963 display on order on AliExpress as it seems to be the most compact but after a week it's still not been dispatched and I'm changing my mind. If I do go for a 'display' I'm tempted by the E12 LED as it's very discreet (though not as much as no display) - https://www.ev-power.eu/en/By-Brand-Manufacturer/EVBike/LED-Display-E12-for-EVBIKE-central-engine-36-48V-USB-Bluetooth.html?cur=1
Any other thoughts? Or can a display like the C963 be made to be easily removable?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I reckon if you want to go the display-less route, then use the programming cable to program the default level, just to see if you're happy with using one PAS level.

I wouldn't try activating the controller using his jumper method. Too much chance of blowing something.

Bergenhaus

Apr 25, 2018
Aberdeen
Yeah, I agree jamming wires in the end there or cutting into the cable looks a dodgy option

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I have run my BBS display-less for a while now without issue. Set to PAS 3(of 9), I find this good power for cruising around and use a little throttle for boost on the hills. I agree the jumper method looks a bit dodgy, I got a display extension lead, cut the female plug off, joined brown and orange wires and wrapped in heat shrink. I have looked at that DPE12 display, but do I need it?

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Bergenhaus

Apr 25, 2018
Aberdeen
I have run my BBS display-less for a while now without issue. Set to PAS 3(of 9), I find this good power for cruising around and use a little throttle for boost on the hills. I agree the jumper method looks a bit dodgy, I got a display extension lead, cut the female plug off, joined brown and orange wires and wrapped in heat shrink. I have looked at that DPE12 display, but do I need it?
Good to know. Thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's brilliant! A headless/displayless ebike locked to a bike rack with two D-locks, without it's battery (and seat tube), will be far less interesting to thieves. There's not much else they can remove quickly apart from the GPS tracker light, which I can track. I can use the display connector from my old BBS01B programming cable... if I can find it... Plus it's stop the ODO, useful for resale ;)

Last edited: