Running out of gears.Bang hd

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
when I'm in pas 5 or 6 and in top gear I'm peddling like a maniac.I have a 8 gear rear cassette with a 42 bling ring.If i put the front ring on that came with the kit(not sure how many teeth) which is bigger would that help?My display shows kilometres but i have a 52v battery is the kilometres converted to mph because of the 52v battery.Im just guessing i think i read it somewhere.

Mick

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
when I'm in pas 5 or 6 and in top gear I'm peddling like a maniac.I have a 8 gear rear cassette with a 42 bling ring.If i put the front ring on that came with the kit(not sure how many teeth) which is bigger would that help?My display shows kilometres but i have a 52v battery is the kilometres converted to mph because of the 52v battery.Im just guessing i think i read it somewhere.

Mick
The bigger the chainring (i.e. more teeth), the higher the gearing. Higher gearing gives higher top speed/ cruising speed (power permitting) at the expense of hill climbing.

The beauty of mid drives is you can tailor the gearing to suit your intended use. If you're riding mainly on-road, gear it up (bigger chainring). If you're mainly riding technical off road (or with heavy loads or uphill), gear it down (smaller chainring).

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need 48T to get decent gearing for just about any unrestricted electric bike, assuming that you have 11 on the back

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Thank you both.so would i need to bassically change my whole drive train,IE the cassette,derailleur and shifter,chain?If thats the case ill try the bigger front ring and see how it goes.Im not going to replace everything again.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Thank you both.so would i need to bassically change my whole drive train,IE the cassette,derailleur and shifter,chain?If thats the case ill try the bigger front ring and see how it goes.Im not going to replace everything again.
Just changing the chainring will have the biggest effect on the overall gearing.

If you go significantly bigger you MAY have to get a longer chain but not definitely.

You'd be unlikely to need a new rear mech unless you had a short-cage and wanted to put a monster 1st gear rear cassette on it.

Personally, I use the chainring for the overall gearing, then change the cassette if I want to change the individual gears (for example using a very high top gear or a very low bottom gear).

Reactions: Bikes4two

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I think the chain ring with the kit is 46t as standard.
So putting this on will help you with top speed.
I know my kit with the standard ring will take me to 30+ mph.
You should be able to change the kmh to mph in the display screen menu.
Regards
Rob

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Thank you all.The chain is new and im sure i have the spare bit somewhere.I will fit it this weekend, i want to grease the gears anyway.
The bafang motor is great.Im 51 and riding my bike is so much fun.I should of done it years ago.
Mick

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Just out of interest,is taking the motor apart to grease all the gears a big deal.I built my bike from scratch so im ok with stuff like that.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just out of interest,is taking the motor apart to grease all the gears a big deal.I built my bike from scratch so im ok with stuff like that.
I managed to get one apart to replace the plastic gear without any instruction, so no, it's no big deal. No point in taking it apart until you've done a few thousand miles.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I've just fitted a 56t chain ring on my bike as I was spinning out, funnily enough I kept the same chain length. I expected problems and anticipated I'd need a new one but no it all worked flawlessly. Maybe it was too long in the first place and I hadn't picked up on it.

Reactions: Hixyhicks

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
when I'm in pas 5 or 6 and in top gear I'm peddling like a maniac.
You do realise that 'top gear' is actually at the 'bottom' of the cassette (smallest cog at the back) don't you?

If you are in a 42 at the front and (say) a 12 at the back then you should be able to pedal up to about 30 mph, and if you are fit enough to do that then you probably don't need an ebike!

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
I changed the display to mph and i thought i was going quicker than i really was.Im happy with the bike as now hills even big hills are no issue.I have to lower the pas then i don't run out of gears.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I changed the display to mph and i thought i was going quicker than i really was.Im happy with the bike as now hills even big hills are no issue.I have to lower the pas then i don't run out of gears.
What speed are you comfortably cruising at in your highest gear?

If it's over 30mph then you've gotta wonder whether you've bought the right vehicle....

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
No not at all.I thought i was but say 15 - 20 mph on the flat.
Actually, that's slower than I expected you to say. Have you got a low (comfortable) cadence?

I usually get up to about 27mph before I start to look like a human hamster wheel....

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
yes at that speed.I really don't think i get anywhere near 30.Going down hill i can but i look like a nutter.With my racing bike i never run out of gears no matter even if I'm going down hill.Id like my bike to be set up like that.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Have you also got the display screen set with the correct wheel size?
That will make a difference to the speed shown and the actual speed.

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Have you also got the display screen set with the correct wheel size?
That will make a difference to the speed shown and the actual speed.
Arhhh no i havent its set to 18 inch when i have 26 wheels.I read that it tricks the motor into not cutting out.I will change it and see if that makes a difference.