S-Flyer first impression

Pat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2008
Hi everyone,

just recently I have decided to get rid of my car at the end of this month and have been looking for an alternative means of transportation. Since I am doing a lot of mountainbiking in my freetime, I started looking for a new bicycle and finally decided that a pedelec would be worth a try.

After getting information on the web (a lot came from this side, thanks flecc for all the detailed technical explanations) I thought that the pedelec system best suited for me would be one with the Panasonic system.

On my initial list had been the Gazelle Easy Glider and one of the Kalkhoff models. By accident I found a dealer in my city who had the Flyer bikes available for test rides.

I then chose a T-Flyer model (the 15mph version) and did a short 10 mile trip along a river. Unfortunately it was a womens bike with an uncomfortable saddle. Still, it felt nice, but I had some trouble getting used to the low cadence pedaling. When I came back to the shop I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Almost out of the door, the dealer asked me whether I would like to try a fast S-Flyer bike. My first reaction was to refuse it, due to the high price. But then I thought why not? Thats when the magic began.

The S-Flyer is a completly different beast compared to the slow models. I just did a short 2 mile run within the city and couldn't get that grin off my face. I felt like doing 15mph, but when I checked I was doing almost 25mph with not too much effort. Amazing. Back at the shop I arranged another test ride a couple days later for a long distance test.

That test I did yesterday. The dealer had fully charged the battery overnight and told me the battery was on its second charging cycle (including the initial charge at the factory) since he got it.
I live near Frankfurt/Main in Germany and the area I intend to use a pedelec is mostly flat, therefore speed is more important to me than hillclimbing abilities. Just that you get an idea of my own abilities, I am 38 years old and doing like 1 - 2 mountainbike tours per week (in hilly terrain).

First I tested how the bike behaves without the motor. I rode the bike from the shop back to my place, about 2 miles. I would say the bike is easier going than my 2000,- Euro full suspension mountainbike. Very impressive.

For my testride I was going from my place to Frankfurt city, riding along the Main river (completely flat track), a 14 miles distance. I had to cope with incredibly strong headwinds. On this section of the testride I used the 100% setting of the Panasonic system. Nevertheless I managed to get an average speed of 17,5mph with not too much effort. Still, I started sweating since it was quite warm, even with the strong winds. When I arrived in Frankfurt, the first 2 of the 5 battery lights had went out.

For my way back I chose a different route. I used exatly the route I would use with my car (a 12,5 miles distance). This time I used the 150% setting of the Panasonic system (Flyer bikes have 150% compared to the 130% that other bikes have with the same system). Also I had less headwind. This time I reached an average speed of 22mph with less effort than on my way to Frankfurt. On one section with no wind I was doing a steady 24,5mph for about 3miles and felt like doing 12-15mph with a regular bike. When I reached my home city, the last battery light just started flashing, indicating that I would soon run out of power.

So, on one full battery charge I did around 26,5 miles with a mixed 100%/150% setting on flat surface with partial strong headwinds. I thought thats not too bad. One interesting note: on may way back from Frankfurt I needed almost exactly the same time as I would have with my car (I skipped a few red lights...).

After this testride, I was so impressed that I am going to order a S-Flyer tomorrow, even if the price is quite high. The dealer made me a reasonable offer, including a 20% discount on a second battery, if I would buy it within the first 6 month after the bike purchase.

Some final thoughts:

- if you are an average or above average bicycle rider, this bike seems much better suited than the slower 15mph models, mostly due to the high cadence pedaling. It just feels much more natural. In fact, after a while I totally forgot that there was a motor working in the background.

-I didn't test hillclimbing abilities, only had a couple of overpasses. But since you have 24 gears, it is easy to shift down in a low gear and get decent assistance from the motor while keeping a higher cadence (again, feeling very natural)

-the fastest I was going was 27,5mph still not pedaling at my max. I guess, with some more sweat involved, higher speeds are very possible. The section I was doing with the steady 24,5mph, I was pedaling in the third highest gear.

-this bike makes you going faster than you initially intend to go. Especially at low speed you can feel that the bike is pushing you to go faster. Which made me sweat a little more than planned, but it is just so much fun.

-I couldn't feel a real big difference between the 100% and the 150% setting at higher speeds, so sticking to the 100% setting will be good enough for most of the time, while saving some extra battery power. (might be different going uphill for a longer time)

-a word of warning: you have to get used to the higher speed. As I wrote earlier, I was doing almost 25mph but it felt like 15mph the most, so at one time I did almost crash because I went too fast into a corner. Same thing with car drivers, they underestimate your speed, which can be quite dangerous.

-in Germany the S-Flyer needs a moped insurance. But in my oppinion this is a big advantage. If you want to insure a regular bike (costing 2000,- Euro and more) against theft, you have to pay up to 300,- Euro per year.
A moped insurance, including theft, you can get for around 90,- Euros.

-the built quality of the Flyer bikes are near perfect. They have a hefty price tag, but I think they are worth it.

-this month, a big german cycling magazine had a test of 8 pedelecs. Their conclusion for the S-Flyer: "sensational! go and plunder your bank account for this one". I do fully agree with them.

Hope this information was helpful for some of you. If you have any questions I will happily answer them. Also, if there are some more germans in this Forum, it would be nice to get in contact, since there is no forum in Germany.

One question for flecc (in case you are reading this): considering the battery range, would you recommend a second battery, or just go with one and take the charger with me. Since I have my own little company I don't have to go to work everyday with the bike, but I would use it for example to get to Frankfurt for shopping. Is it really that bad for the Li-ion battery to get fully discharged?

Patrick

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
nice to hear how well the s flyer goes i think you are the first person to write a review of this bike on this site

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello Patrick. No, it's not really bad to fully discharge the latest lithium batteries like these Sanyo made ones. It does shorten the life a little, but since these batteries age whether used or not, having two is a bit wasteful since they will only have parallel chronological lives. It is much more convenient to have two though, if you don't mind the extra cost.

Good to hear of your experiences on the bike, obviously a great machine. Sadly our laws are more restrictive than yours, indeed your's are now the most liberal in the EU regarding the faster classes of bikes. Technically every EU citizen can enjoy any benefit enjoyed by any other EU citizen, but if a government won't listen (and that's ours) and doesn't provide the accompanying legislation, there's little one can do.

Pat

Jun 18, 2008
Thanks for your reply, flecc. I guess I will go with one battery at the beginning and see how I get along. I can get the discounted second battery till February next year, which will probably make more sense.

Too bad you can't ride these faster versions in the U.K. You are really missing out on something. The difference between the slower and the faster models is quite remarkable. Actually I was quite surprised myself that the german Government would allow this with only few restrictions. Usually we are the ones known for our slow and stupid politicians...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually I was quite surprised myself that the german Government would allow this with only few restrictions. Usually we are the ones known for our slow and stupid politicians...
I think it was an appropriate precedent that made the difference Pat, it seems they took their cue from the Swiss legislation that allowed them for kindred spirits in the form of the German speaking Swiss.

Blood ties seem stronger than the political ones of the EU that we have. :(

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
hello..
great review.
enjoyed it to read it..

how loud is the motor?.. the new flyers are louder than the older (heavier) F-Flyers..
but when going that fast you described (why didn´t you wright in km when you are from Germany ;) would have been easier for me to read)
you maybe here more wind-noise than motor-noise ?

for your 2000€ Mountainbike..
sorry when i ask it this way, but: what kind of 2000-Euro-Gurke is your mountainbike ?
i mean: when it is a 2000€ worth bike, how can it be harder to drive than a s-flyer without motorpower which is probably nearly double as heavy ?
can you explane these in some more detail ?
iam very interested in this..

you said that there is no German forum for pedelecs, etc.
not totally correct:
Velomobil-, Liegerad- und Trike-Forum

its by far not that big and concentrated on pedelecs than this forum here, but
you will find also some guys with
Liegerädern and trikes and normal bikes, all with different motors (bionx, Lomeyer, Heinzman, Schachner, ...)

grüsse,
Reini
(a Schluchtenscheisser = Österreicher)

C

Cyclezee

I guess you will be rooting for Turkey next week Reini?

Ich auch:D

J:) hn

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I just tend to ignore the law, but thats the reason I'm riding a bike all the time at the moment! I'm confused about the european law versus the UK law though. Many manufacturers in the UK are selling 250 watt motor based bikes because EU law says its ok (UK law says 200 watt), however you are riding a bike that seems to be able to assist up to at least 25 mph. Does that mean your country's law overrules EU law? I thought the EU limit was 15.5? In the UK we seem to pick and choose which law we like (and they are both crap - UK and EU ). FWIW imo Germany is far more progressive than the UK.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is there such a thing? Actually most Swiss Germans can speak 'high' german although many are loathed to.. I couldn't understand a word when I lived there.
Hochdeutsch!

Re: the legal position. Germany obeys the EU pedelec law and in fact has it's own slightly greater restriction, maximum 24 kph instead of the EU's 25 kph.

However, like the Swiss they have a high speed class which carries further restrictions like the compulsory insurance. It's that which we are denied in the UK.

The EU countries are riddled with e-bike legal variations. Most don't have age limits, but Britain has a minimum age of 14 years and 15 mph/25 kph maximum, Sweden 15 years and 30 kph maximum with compulsory crash helmets for example.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Hochdeutsch!

Re: the legal position. Germany obeys the EU pedelec law and in fact has it's own slightly greater restriction, maximum 24 kph instead of the EU's 25 kph.

However, like the Swiss they have a high speed class which carries further restrictions like the compulsory insurance. It's that which we are denied in the UK.

The EU countries are riddled with e-bike legal variations. Most don't have age limits, but Britain has a minimum age of 14 years and 15 mph/25 kph maximum, Sweden 15 years and 30 kph maximum with compulsory crash helmets for example.
But if we had a high speed class where the only restriction was compulsory insurance how would they control us?

Pat

Jun 18, 2008
Hochdeutsch!

The german law is a littlebit confusing, regarding the fast pedelec class. You need the moped insurance (I think officially it is deemed as a slow motorcycle), a rear-view mirrow and some reflectors on each side. On the other side, you can legaly use all cycle tracks and don't need to wear a helmet (which I would recommend wearing due to the high speeds). I think the trick was, that the Flyer company found one authority in one of the 16 german states, that was willing to allow these bikes. Therefore it has to be allowed in whole Germany (similar like one EU country -> all EU countries).
But you need a drivers license for these faster bikes here in Germany.

hello..
great review.
enjoyed it to read it..

how loud is the motor?.. the new flyers are louder than the older (heavier) F-Flyers..
but when going that fast you described (why didn´t you wright in km when you are from Germany ;) would have been easier for me to read)
you maybe here more wind-noise than motor-noise ?
The motor is virtually inaudible. As you said the wind is louder by far, even with slow speeds.
I did write in miles rather than kilometers because this is a UK based forum with most readers probably more used to the miles.

for your 2000€ Mountainbike..
sorry when i ask it this way, but: what kind of 2000-Euro-Gurke is your mountainbike ?
i mean: when it is a 2000€ worth bike, how can it be harder to drive than a s-flyer without motorpower which is probably nearly double as heavy ?
can you explane these in some more detail ?
iam very interested in this..
I have a Cube AMS Pro fullsuspension mountainbike. Since I am doing long tours in sometimes rough terrain, my emphasis is on stability, not minimum weight. Therefore my mountainbike weights around 13kg, compared to the 22kg of the S-Flyer. But the mountainbike has wide 26" cross tires, the Flyer has small 28" street tires (I think Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, which are fantastic). Also I used the bike on flat terrain. I guess if you have a lot of hills you will feel the additional 9kg. But thats what the motor is for :)

you said that there is no German forum for pedelecs, etc.
not totally correct:
Velomobil-, Liegerad- und Trike-Forum

its by far not that big and concentrated on pedelecs than this forum here, but
you will find also some guys with
Liegerädern and trikes and normal bikes, all with different motors (bionx, Lomeyer, Heinzman, Schachner, ...)
Thanks for that one, didn't know that forum existed.

grüsse,
Reini
(a Schluchtenscheisser = Österreicher)
Sorry for your early elimination in the european football championship ;)

By the way, did you know that before the football championship, a swiss guy was travelling through all participating countries, using a S-Flyer with 2 extra batteries, doing more than 10.000km in 100 days. There is an extra website for this event, unfortunately it is only in German:
Euro-Flyer
The most impressive piece of information is that the power for recharging the batteries did cost only around 10 Euros for the whole trip.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The german law is a little bit confusing, regarding the fast pedelec class. You need the moped insurance (I think officially it is deemed as a slow motorcycle), a rear-view mirrow and some reflectors on each side. On the other side, you can legaly use all cycle tracks and don't need to wear a helmet (which I would recommend wearing due to the high speeds).
We do have a low powered moped class, but it's still restricted to 25 kph so virtually useless. Anything above that speed and it becomes a moped needing the whole range of restrictions, registration, number plates, tax, insurance, compulsory helmets, driving licence, motor vehicle parking regulations and a 30 mph speed limit. Worse still is that if one's driving licence was gained after February 2001, expensive compulsory motor cycle training (CBT) has to passed first. All that to ride an S-Flyer! Be thankful you don't have our laws. :)

In addition both the low powered and standard mopeds can't be used on cylepaths or bridlepaths, and the separate English law still in force even calls into question whether e-bikes can be used on cyclepaths/bridleways etc.

I think the trick was, that the Flyer company found one authority in one of the 16 german states, that was willing to allow these bikes. Therefore it has to be allowed in whole Germany (similar like one EU country -> all EU countries).
But you need a drivers license for these faster bikes here in Germany.
Yes, your localised political structure was very helpful there. The situation in Canada was similar I believe, and the USA also has local law for electric assist bikes.

C

Cyclezee

I really don't see how a Flyer S series is worth paying €1300+ more than a Kalkhoff Pro-Connect?
The battery and motor are the same. Ok, you have the option of using 150% power, but that must drain the battery more rapidly, you get a disc brake and 24 speed derailleur gears. The performance must be very similar, or am I missing something?

For that money you could buy a Pro-Connect and a Cytronex Trek and have some change:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I really don't see how a Flyer S series is worth paying €1300+ more than a Kalkhoff Pro-Connect?
The battery and motor are the same. Ok, you have the option of using 150% power, but that must drain the battery more rapidly, you get a disc brake and 24 speed derailleur gears. The performance must be very similar, or am I missing something?

For that money you could buy a Pro-Connect and a Cytronex Trek and have some change:confused:

BikeTech have always positioned themselves as a quality marque, offering some uniqueness as they have with the S-Flyer, and the prices have always reflected that and their Swiss origins. I don't think the Swiss know how to make cheap!

Since their market share was tiny compared to Giant who bought Panasonic units at the same times, I suspect they also had to pay much more for them, and of course they would also charge a premium for their work in upgrading the unit's specification for the S model.

Pat

Jun 18, 2008

As flecc wrote, Flyer did some upgrading on the Panasonic system to make sure the motor and gearbox can cope with the higher speed/cadence.

It is hard to describe, I guess you really have to try it yourself to feel the difference. After riding the fast version, the slow one wasn't an option anymore for me. I now pay 3380,- Euro for the bike (including some Ergon grips as replacement) and it is an incredible amount of money. Initially I had a budget of 2000,- Euro. That I am willing to pay so much more should speak for itself.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But if we had a high speed class where the only restriction was compulsory insurance how would they control us?
How would they control us?

Surely the right question in a free democratic society should be, why would they want to control us?

Given that our governance is by control freaks, presumably by the hundreds of thousands of CCTV cameras that infest our land.

C

Cyclezee

As flecc wrote, Flyer did some upgrading on the Panasonic system to make sure the motor and gearbox can cope with the higher speed/cadence.

It is hard to describe, I guess you really have to try it yourself to feel the difference. After riding the fast version, the slow one wasn't an option anymore for me. I now pay 3380,- Euro for the bike (including some Ergon grips as replacement) and it is an incredible amount of money. Initially I had a budget of 2000,- Euro. That I am willing to pay so much more should speak for itself.
It will be interesting to read how it performs if you find the time, also some photos would be nice if possible.
I assume the same upgrades could be performed on any Panasonic powered bike with the right components and knowledge.
incidentally what is the length of guarantee / warranty with a Flyer?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can see the three S series variants, Cross Country, Street and Urban on this page John.

Given your record, you'll probably buy all three.

P.S. Speaking of Swiss prices they charge £495 at current rates for the 10 Ah battery, £305 from 50cycles (but dont tell them that!). :D

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Yes Flecc, I have looked already just out of curiosity. No way would I be spending that kind of money on a bike.........or three:p
I'm quite happy with the Agattus and would not have spent the extra cash for a Pro-Connect.
As for the batteries, I reckon a price rise will be just around the corner as 50c will no doubt read this thread:rolleyes:
Going off thread. By the way Fleccie, how is your testing going, you have been very quiet on that front for a long time?

Last edited by a moderator: