S-KU95 controller help

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So if I ordered from aliexpress would that controller come with the same connections . Also when you say the SOxx series are you meaning any controller that starts with SO , sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I just want to be sure i get it right this time.
Yes, the KU & S0 series of controllers are made by Kunteng as are the KT from Aliexp.

Before ordering just double check as I said in #80.
Also I do wonder if your throttle hall is done for.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can easily test the throttle, power up and with throttle connected probe the gnd & red at the connector.
You should see 4 - 5v.
Next check between gnd & signal wire (other colour wire white?), you should see 1v. Next with probes still on the gnd and signal open throttle up full and you should get 4v, if not hall is no good and throttle not working.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
You can easily test the throttle, power up and with throttle connected probe the gnd & red at the connector.
You should see 4 - 5v.
Next check between gnd & signal wire (other colour wire white?), you should see 1v. Next with probes still on the gnd and signal open throttle up full and you should get 4v, if not hall is no good and throttle not working.
Just seen, I will do this test tomorrow morning, it would be nice if that was the issue, lot cheaper then a controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just seen, I will do this test tomorrow morning, it would be nice if that was the issue, lot cheaper then a controller
I do hope that you find that the throttle is faulty with the test as it should give us an answer, the hall is housed in the throttle and like all hall requires the sensing of a magnet as it comes in range.

I do remember seeing somewhere probably on ES, deleted member d8veh saying that KU controllers throttle gave full power irrelevant of whether pas was is use.

As Jhruk mentioned about throttle only after pas this is the case with China OEM bikes to EU/UK now but don't think it applies to controllers as they sell the same ones to other parts of the world where they don't have our rules/laws.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Not sure if that S-KU95 is a KT controller as it only appears to work with the LED810 and none of the KT series LCD's are compatible according to BMS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KU's are Kunteng but only led or 3 speed compatible.
S0 series are Kunteng lcd compatible.
One is 4 wire and t'other is 5 wire.
Other wise wiring is matched colour wise for brake, pas, throttle and halls. Battery and phase are all standard.

• Informative
Reactions: wheeliepete

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
You should see 4 - 5v.
We've found, or more like you have, I've just done as I was told, 4.7v in, zero on the throttle signal open or closed so I will order a new throttle today off Amazon, that will be with me tomorrow and fingers crossed it will be sorted.
I assume any throttle will do the job, I can swap connectors no problem, my soldering skills far out weigh my electronics skills from when I use to make electric guitars (their electrics are very simple).

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Glad to hear you have found the likely problem with your build. It's poss. that the hall in the throttle was damaged with your earlier wiring error, or it could have been DOA. Anyway, hope the new part turns up on time and gets you on the road.:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any 3 wire throttle should work and fingers are crossed.

It was a last minute thought that the possibility was the hall may have been damaged when you shorted the hall wires and may have used the throttle as well.
Matt I hope to see a big :D or :) at the start your post after the throttle is fitted and not a :(.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
:) hoorah its going, loads of power , it isn't 3 speed it's nice smooth acceleration, it's pretty quick only been round garden but it was obvious it will still shift, I was only on quarter throttle lol.
I've still a few issues to iron out, there isn't enough weight on the front wheel so I'm getting a lot of wheel spin but that will be easy to sort plus it will improve as I get use to the throttle sensitivity and the frame I made for attaching it to the wheelchair is slipping so I will have to go get that welded but these are all little jobs the main thing is it moves. Thanks so much to everyone for your help
20180630_093455.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brilliant another eventually happy member :).
We got there in the end, just case of figuring out what has occurred during installation.

Your old controller will be toast not worth thinking about using that again.

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
Brilliant another eventually happy member :).
We got there in the end, just case of figuring out what has occurred during installation.

Your old controller will be toast not worth thinking about using that again.
I've got a few packets of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sugru&index=aps&tag=hydrukspg-21&ref=pd_sl_98knoc3cgy_e&adgrpid=53335941495&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259148806235&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10911247847742328911&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046300&hvtargid=kwd-296167437100 left over from a previous project and I'm going to use it to waterproof some connections, I was just wandering is there any reason I shouldn't seal where the wire enters the hub?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sugru may well keep cracking but as in your pic the cable entry goes south and has a nice drip loop so no need at all to seal the cable. Unless you go thru deep water you will not have any issues.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
After all your works and perseverance Matt it's worth fitting one T/A, if the forks are steel then you don't need too but for piece of mind one is a good idea.