S-LCD Repair and Waterproofing

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

My bike fell over after I locked it to the diabolical bike bays at my local Halfords. The handlebars twisted right around and the cable to the LCD must have got caught. The end result was the wires pulled out of the LCD and two broken.

I didn't take any photos, but the description is pretty straight forward.

1. There's 6 screws that hold it together. They're sealed with silicone, so you just dive through the silicone with a small Philips screwdriver to unscrew the screws.
2. The two halves are also sealed with silicone, so a small amount of leverage is required to get it started, then you can pull them apart.
3. The cables have cable ties on the inside to prevent them from pulling out, but they weren't quite tight enough. There's a recess to accommodate the cable ties that's filled with hot-melt glue to seal that area completely. I had to warm it up with a hot-air gun to be able to push the cables back in and replace the cable-tie stops.
4. Soldering the wires was straight forward. I just joined them and sealed with heat-shrink.
5. I then had to get the cable-ties back in the recess, which meant heating up the pool of hot-melt glue in there with my hot-air gun until I could sink the cable-ties back in. It self sealed because it was all liquid again.
6. I cleaned off all the silicone around the rim before applying more and reassembling.
7. I put a fresh dob of silicone on top of each of the 6 screws, which go quite low in their recesses.

I was impressed at how well sealed it was. If you are unfortunate enough to still get water in, disassembly and re-sealing is pretty straight forward.

• Informative
Reactions: awol and Benjahmin

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Photos or it didn't happen! :D

Did you happen to notice when you were in there how many wires the cable to the buttons has?

D

Deleted member 4366

Photos or it didn't happen! :D

Did you happen to notice when you were in there how many wires the cable to the buttons has?
I didn't really pay attention, but I think it was four or five:
Power in
Power out
Up signal
Down signal
Ground for the signal wires.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks.

Both my LCD-3s seem to have hard potting material over the screws I was thinking of heating up a screw driver blade to melt through to the screw?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AK I posted on your other thread (can't remember which one) when you have asked this question previously. If I recall the separate remote button for lcd3 uses all 5 wires.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
AK I posted on your other thread (can't remember which one) when you have asked this question previously. If I recall the separate remote button for lcd3 uses all 5 wires.
Yes I saw that. I was just hoping for photos to confirm.

I will try and take one to bits.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks.

Both my LCD-3s seem to have hard potting material over the screws I was thinking of heating up a screw driver blade to melt through to the screw?
Mine looked like black plastic in the holes, but was actually just silicone. Did you try to push a screwdriver through it?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Wasn't pushing hard enough, didn't want to mess up the head of the screws. Thanks all is well now!

LCD-3.JPG

4 wires to buttons: black, red, yellow and green on the right above.