Sachs Electric bikes

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Were Sachs gears not what eventually became SRAM (with a number of other acquisitions)? Do they still have some sort of link?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
No idea but they were one of the very first firms into electric bikes and their motorcycles are well screwed together. I think they do look a good quality bike but no idea about dealers etc.

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
EBCO or Sachs??

Confused - is this the same as the EBCO Eagle who had a very grand stand at the London Bike Show. Looks the same. In which case EBCO - at £1750 - are being shaprly price undercut by Sachs. EBCO I thought had sole distributorship in the UK??

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Certainly looks the same bike, no idea whats going on there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Were Sachs gears not what eventually became SRAM (with a number of other acquisitions)? Do they still have some sort of link?
The Sachs gear side was indeed taken over by US SRAM and the old range continued. This is all changing currently though, the old hubs like the S7 and P5 are being discontinued and the new generation like the i-motion 9 speed gear hub taking over. There are also new derailleur versions.

In the latest development, all remaining EU production is switching from Germany to China and the Sachs gears German location is becoming the EU technical support centre for SRAM.

I doubt there's any connection left to the motorcycle and bike side, these probably split off as a separate company when SRAM bought in.