Saddle sore

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
98036527-3534-4189-8222-27CEA0DEAAD3.jpeg My collection of saddles grow. Narrow ones, wide ones big bum ones, sprung ones, gel ones. And every one of them is numbing uncomfortable. Has anyone tried one of these Italian seats described as good and comfortable for electric bicycles? They look comfortable but how do you stop sliding off?
ITEM DESCRIPTION

• sellOttO-II-H16 "SERENE". designed for Men and Women Cyclists to increase Comfort, cycle Longer & prevent Pain (frictional dermatitis, genital numbness, prostate inflammation)

• Ergonomic seat for Healthy on several types of bike, from Folding or Cargo through to Exercise or Stationary Bicycle

• Anatomic bicycle saddle with Memory foam. Suitable width for the seat bones of the male and female pelvis

• Suggested for relaxed pedalling (upright posture of 90°)

• Certified by the the University of Turin and the Sports Medicine center of Pavia. Assembled by italian expert Craftsmen

• Already enjoyed from America to EurAsia, from Africa to Oceania. But if you are not 100% Happy with the product, we offer a 30 days money back guarantee!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Certainly different,
I've also tried many butt perches and found the medicus saddle from lidl suits quite well. I also wear gel shorts and if I'm going out for an hour or more I'll use buttonhole chamois cream aswell.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Have you tried the sort with a big hole in the middle? I've tried saddles from very soft and padded to narrow and hard, and found them all much of a muchness, until my current one with the cut out down the middle. It's way better than others I'd tried.

However the front is more or less worn away now, so I'm after a new one. I'm going to try the light weight fairly hard ones with the cut out next.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0712_01.JPG DSC_0714_02.JPG
there not cheap tho but my ass likes it ;)

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
DF90ED25-5891-4CE0-AE46-CF98B63B7455.jpeg
Have you tried the sort with a big hole in the middle? I've tried saddles from very soft and padded to narrow and hard, and found them all much of a muchness, until my current one with the cut out down the middle. It's way better than others I'd tried
Do you mean this type? I have been thinking about ordering one of these.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Actually mine is pretty similar style to soundwave's. It's a fairly big gel saddle with the cut out down the middle.

But I've used gel saddles without a cut out before and I'm not convinced the gel actually helps.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
I have no idea which saddle to buy. I think I am going to go for this for £10.90 from e-bay....Saddle.jpg...just because it looks comfortable.

I cycle around 40 miles a day and the saddle I have feels like bone on bone at the moment and I am doing about 10 miles a day standing up cycling!

I am also looking at buying a suntour seat post. Has anyone any experience of this? The reviews looks good. Has anyone used any cheaper alternatives which seem just as good?

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
lolipop808,
This is the ebay link to that seat above:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIDE-EXTRA-COMFY-BIKE-BICYCLE-GEL-CRUISER-COMFORT-SPORTY-SOFT-PAD-SADDLE-SEAT/391552672496?epid=2301005928&hash=item5b2a5ba2f0:g:awQAAOSw-kdXzpqh&frcectupt=true

I have a Suntour SP12-NCX seat post which works well and takes some of the discomfort out of riding on our generally poor road surfaces:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-SUNTOUR-Sp12-Ncx-Seat-Posts/dp/B01HMXE8ZU?th=1&psc=1
The feedback is very positive with 93% for 4 and 5 star ratings.

NB Do make sure to order the correct diameter for your bike (27.2mm or 31.6mm)!
You may need to also buy a suitably sized shim:
https://www.evanscycles.com/use-shims-for-27-2mm-sx-posts-00120551

Suntour SP12-NCX Manual:
https://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Consumer/Bike/Owners manuals/2012/SEAT_POST_MANUAL_2012_EN.pdf

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We splashed out on the Suntour post for the back of our tandem. (You get quite a harsh ride on the back; the front is naturally softer because of the frame geometry.) My wife is delighted. It works much better than a couple of the cheaper 'standard' style telescopic seat posts we have, one (15 year old) marked Post Moderne, and one anonymous (Alloy Suspension Seatpost 27.2) on our 2016 Raleight Motus. Not compared it to cheaper posts of a similar parallelogram design such as the TMARS which shows up a lot on Ebay.

Reactions: lolipop808

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
I received and fitted my Suntour Seat Post. I thought it would be better to be honest. I am 80kg and feel too heavy for it. It has not provided as much suspension as I had read about. I thought it might be ride changing after reading all of the positive reviews. I would like to try a new saddle with it as mine is harsh so that might be better and also putting the old seat post back on and comparing again. My verdict on the seat post is that it is alright but not worth £60.

Reactions: artspeck

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
lolipop808,
I am a fair bit heavier than you and I found the Suntour SP12-NCX seat post worked well on uneven surfaces.
However, I do have a very comfortable, standard FreeGo seat on that Oxygen MTB.
I don't think you will find that those cheaper seat posts will perform anywhere near as well as the Suntour.
Unfortunately, given the dreadful state of most UK road surfaces, full suspension was the only real cure for me, as I found out on my new Haibike Sduro FullSeven:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-fullseven-3-0-initial-reaction-and-recommendations.34087/#post-490036
Try searching for a better saddle.
Here is one example, a Bikeroo, with 94% 5 star feedback:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikeroo-Comfortable-Cruiser-Saddle-Bicycle/dp/B01MDNY3S6/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=comfortable+bike+saddle&qid=1552989331&s=sports&sr=1-10

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I received and fitted my Suntour Seat Post. I thought it would be better to be honest. I am 80kg and feel too heavy for it. It has not provided as much suspension as I had read about. I thought it might be ride changing after reading all of the positive reviews. I would like to try a new saddle with it as mine is harsh so that might be better and also putting the old seat post back on and comparing again. My verdict on the seat post is that it is alright but not worth £60.
What spring did you get it with? I am 80 kg and mine is perfect without even fiddling with settings (you did try a different setting?). It doesn't provide suspension it gums out bumps, my back hasn't been the same since.

I don't think it is worth silly money but my back disagrees with me on that...

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
I may be using this thing wrong! Ha! This would no be unusual for me.

I didn't buy a spring and had no idea you could change the settings! It took me all my time to work out I had it the right way round! Should I have bought a spring with it? My back is notably worse since fitting it. I must be have done something wrong!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They have three different springs wound for different rider weight categories also at the base of the spring seat tube there is an adjuster nut to torsion up the mechanism to suit you.

Reactions: MikelBikel