Saddle sore

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I may be using this thing wrong! Ha! This would no be unusual for me.

I didn't buy a spring and had no idea you could change the settings! It took me all my time to work out I had it the right way round! Should I have bought a spring with it? My back is notably worse since fitting it. I must be have done something wrong!
You haven't put it in backwards per chance?

Soft spring is rated for 100-140lb riders
Medium spring is rated for 140-180lb riders
Firm spring is rated for 180-220lb riders

You should be using a medium spring version like mine.

Mine hardly moves (perceptibly) when I am riding, you only feel it move when you hit a bump. I think it must be moving enough to wipe out all the small vibrations however.

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Thanks everyone! I have altered the setting and was better this morning - I think I wasn't heavy enough for the setting it was on. I am going to alter it a bit more for journey home and think it will make a difference again.

Tecga3

Just Joined
Mar 1, 2019
I have no idea which saddle to buy. I think I am going to go for this for £10.90 from e-bay....View attachment 29363...just because it looks comfortable.

I cycle around 40 miles a day and the saddle I have feels like bone on bone at the moment and I am doing about 10 miles a day standing up cycling!

I am also looking at buying a suntour seat post. Has anyone any experience of this? The reviews looks good. Has anyone used any cheaper alternatives which seem just as good?
I have no idea which saddle to buy. I think I am going to go for this for £10.90 from e-bay....View attachment 29363...just because it looks comfortable

I cycle around 40 miles a day and the saddle I have feels like bone on bone at the moment and I am doing about 10 miles a day standing up cycling!

I am also looking at buying a suntour seat post. Has anyone any experience of this? The reviews looks good. Has anyone used any cheaper alternatives which seem just as good?

Tecga3

Just Joined
Mar 1, 2019
I have no idea which saddle to buy. I think I am going to go for this for £10.90 from e-bay....View attachment 29363...just because it looks comfortable.

Attachments

JessBeauty

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2019
Canada, Vancouver
I've just ordered the Fabric Scoop Shallow Pro. Was on a Toupe for a long time. Recently been on a Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow but at 132mm I think it finally contributed to some leg pain issues even though its been comfier.

A couple of weeks back I test rode a Revolt for a few hours. Saddle on that was the Contact Neutral/Standard? which didn't feel like it was there.

So I've been all on fairly flat saddles so far, however, I'm changing as I'm doing more climbing now and have found these almost-flat saddles could do with a little rearward uplift for support when climbing. The Romin has that also from looking at a side pic.

Chose the Shallow Pro as I read a couple of reviews (check it here) mentioning it has a little more flex than the next model up. Hope it will be good for all-day rides.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I received and fitted my Suntour Seat Post. I thought it would be better to be honest. I am 80kg and feel too heavy for it. It has not provided as much suspension as I had read about. I thought it might be ride changing after reading all of the positive reviews. I would like to try a new saddle with it as mine is harsh so that might be better and also putting the old seat post back on and comparing again. My verdict on the seat post is that it is alright but not worth £60.
Be aware that they’re adjustable by rotating the spring either in or out. I swear by mine, just did 48 miles on it today which is double of what I did previously without it.

Reactions: MikelBikel

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I've been using this on both my bikes for a while

On longer rides (30 miles +) it did become quite uncomfortable and weighing 109kg I thought I'd have to live with it. I then watched a youtube video advising to adjust the saddle so the seatpost was in the middle of the bars under the saddle. I had mine right to the front. There was a vast improvement.

Darren

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

I have two of those and find them very good.
Far better than Brooks leather B66 by far and better than most other sensible sized saddles.
Most saddles are far too narrow, particularly on ebikes, because unlike a pedal cycle, nearly all your weight is always on the saddle.

Reactions: E-Wheels

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I've been using this on both my bikes for a while

On longer rides (30 miles +) it did become quite uncomfortable and weighing 109kg I thought I'd have to live with it. I then watched a youtube video advising to adjust the saddle so the seatpost was in the middle of the bars under the saddle. I had mine right to the front. There was a vast improvement.

Darren
Well that saddle has not got any springs, those so called elastomer things are utterly useless as is gel which seems to flow away from pressure points

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I have Promax suspension seatposts on my 3 Ebikes and a Lidl Air Cushioned Saddle on the Fat Tyre . The latter has a bladder to set the softness to hardness , I use 3 presses out of 11 , the latter would give a hard ride . My rides are up to 25 miles and I have never got off my bikes and started walking like John Wayne .

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I only took up cycling in my late 40s . Found that I was getting serious numbness down below - so much so that I would have had to consider stopping cycling at all - the seats that come with the cheaper ranges (eg the Decathlon Rockrider I used) are often hard and nasty. though its less about the hardness than where the pressure is. I did a lot of online research on this issue (which is certainly not a myth despite what some may say) - can depend on individual physiology and how you habitually sit - plus the saddle type and position. I only weight 70kg, or 11 stone as I would say in old money.
Anyway , got a ISM touring type which I think did help - though you have to get used to your sitting/bony bum parts taking the weight rather than other areas. Also tried a cheaper saddle with a slit but I think the ISM is still better while not perfect.
But they take getting used to . Gels and soft covers etc did not address the fundamental problem if the shape of the saddle is wrong.

Very much down to individual choice and experience and you need several weeks to know if a saddle works for you and then you usually can't just send it back so it can be a costly hit or miss gamble.
Strangely enough , if I recall it properly , I think the most comfortable ride I had was on a Brompton - and it was the standard one it came with but then I likely sat on the smaller folding bike differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Wittkop Medicus are worth a look, Ebay and Amazon, various styles and widths. I use a trekking 97201 which for me is very close to being as comfortable as my well worn in Brooks B17.
Dave.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Whatever saddle you find best can be enhanced by padded undershorts. I buy mine from Aldi when available which are similar to these..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANGTUO-Padded-Cycling-Bicycle-Underwear/dp/B01GDMWHFO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/259-0245184-9675976?ie=UTF8&qid=1531298708&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=cycling+shorts&psc=1
Not to be confused with lycra roady shorts as these are worn under whatever you are wearing so dont give the MAMIL effect but do offer a cushion between you and the bike.
I wear them on mine work a treat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lidl sell the Wikitop saddles during bikes part sales in the middle isle for about £10, I have three and find them quite comfy on my long rides.

• Agree
Reactions: D C