Schwalbe Big Ben, Performence and Slime.

macamxthe1st

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2020
As I would suspect like many others I am paranoid about punctures, I believe that my new bike which I am eagerly awaiting delivery is fitted with Schwalbe Big Ben Performance tyres. I intended to also have "Slime" put into the tubes but The question that I am asking is, would this be worthwhile or would it be totally pointless.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It ok if you like dealing with mess to clear up when it doesn't work.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc, sjpt and D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My experience is similar to Nealh's; slime is worse than useless. Doesn't stop punctures and make a huge mess when you get one. I have heard of others that find it really helpful though; I'm not sure the difference between their usage and mine. Marathon Plus have been the answer for us, but they aren't perfect and completely unsuitable to many uses.

Reactions: mike killay

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
like many others I am paranoid about punctures
Probably the best way of getting rid of the paranoia is to get proficient with a dry run at home before you have to do it for real.
I've been cycling for over 60 years and still do a wheel and tyre off/back on exercise when I get a new bike so that there aren't any surprises when I have to do it for real.
The Gaadi tubes are a good idea for a quick fix, though without taking the wheel out you will have to cut the old tube off (then they are a great supply of rubber bands).
The Marathons may be the answer for you, I've never used them but folk on here are generally well pleased with them.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
The Gaadi tubes are a good idea for a quick fix, though without taking the wheel out you will have to cut the old tube off
Alternatively take the old tube out and fold / zip-tie to the frame - it can then be fixed at home and put back without removing the wheel.

Reactions: MontyPAS and D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I run Gaadi's permanently.

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I had a rear puncture on my Homage and seeing the problem Martin had at OnBike due to the tension of the belt I mended the puncture with Slime.
A few weeks later down it went, my CS gas cylinder was empty and the pump failed. I got picked up in a van, back home I reinflated the tyre, and it's still up.
Over the past 15 years or so I have had more success than failures using Slime. But a blow-out at speed is very, very messy. Trust me, I know.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
I used to commute on slime tubes and never suffered a deflation in 11 years and nearly 40,000 miles. On one occasion I rode though a patch of hedge trimmings in the dark and picked up dozens of thorns. The tube held, and was still holding at the other end of the day when it was time to ride home. That night I took the tube out and had to positively peel it off of the inside of the tyre where it was held in place by mo less than 24 thorns. Mighty impressive.

Use them exactly as per instructions and they work well. The real downside is that they do add rotating mass just where you don't want it to can deaden the feel of the bike a touch, but in my case that was secondary to absolutely getting to work on time and getting home without issue.

If you get a massive puncture, say from a rock or pothole, then youre stuffed. No system can seal a massive split or gash. The leakage is no issue, and sluices away easily with warm soapy water - its no more faff to clean than when you periodically use the same soapy water to clean the whole bike anyway. But only an inattentive rider collects that sort of puncture, so pay attention to what you're doing and that isn't an issue either.