Schwinn Electric Tailwind motor issue

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Hi there, I am hoping someone can kindly point me in the right dir ection. I have this Tailwind bike with a motor that no longer works. The front wheel no longer, freely goes backwards. It will only free wheel forwards. The battery charges just fine and seems to hold it's charge but the motor (which is on the front wheel, of course), no longer kicks in. I have been riding my very heavy bike to work and back without power and whilst that is probably good for my fitness, I would really like to try and find out where / how to get it fixed, replaced. Having searched via google, I am getting nowhere. I live in the Basingstoke, Hampshire area.

thanks.

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I've not been on this site for a long time (forgive me Father, for I have sinned), but I must say, it's been done up really nicely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Schwinn used the Tongxin Nano motor in the model before the Tailwind and I think the Tailwind also uses it.

There are some outlets marketing bikes using that motor, but I don't know any in your area. Perhaps another member will know of one.

Otherwise I can only suggest the Electric Transport Shop branches for a repair, but as you'll see from that link, none are close to you.

D

Deleted member 4366

If your motor appears jammed, it's normally because there's a short on the phase wires, which are the three main wires to the controller; however, if you have a Tongxin motor, it could also be that something's broken. The Tailwinds that I've seen didn't have a Tongxin motor, so I'm going for the short circuit.

The short circuit can be caused by damage to the wire where it comes out of the motor, perhaps if you fell off, or by melted connectors at the controller, or if a FET blows in the controller.

Your first step should be to open up the compartment at the front of the battery to expose the controller. There, you'll find the connectors to the motor, so you can see if they've melted. If they haven't, disconnect them to see if the motor then turns normally backwards. If it doesn't, there's a short in the wire or motor. If id does, you need a new controller.

You might have a connector near the motor. If you do, unplug it to see if the motor turns backwards first. That'll tell you whether the problem's at the motor or controller.