Scratched that tricycle itch

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
So I finally scratched that tricycle itch over the winter I rebuilt the old trike it turned into a full rebuild the only original bit left was the frame
but soon got bored with it [sits in the corner of the garage ]
Started to rethink the handling problem ended up with:eek::oops: 250watt rear bafang hub 9 speed IMG_20190401_180713554.jpg:rolleyes:the only problem is theIMG_20190401_180734818.jpg funny looks from other road users cornering is solved by leaning and lifting one wheel up off the road

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
So I finally scratched that tricycle itch over the winter I rebuilt the old trike it turned into a full rebuild the only original bit left was the frame
but soon got bored with it [sits in the corner of the garage ]
Started to rethink the handling problem ended up with:eek::oops: 250watt rear bafang hub 9 speed View attachment 29730:rolleyes:the only problem is theView attachment 29731 funny looks from other road users cornering is solved by leaning and lifting one wheel up off the road
Cornering a normal trike is kind of the opposite, you best not lift a wheel on a normal trike.
But tandem front wheels like yours, must be interesting riding , normal practice is to have a wide track up front.
I ride a recumbent trike , sometimes. I have ridden a conventional trike, it wasn't easy.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I tried a normal style trike first but without a rear diff the mid drive made it :oops:;):eek: this one took more thought time and finding parts than the actual build o_O
The ride is surprising, more like a normal bike than a trike, lean and lift one front wheel to corner. The narrow track was intentional it is just wide enough to stand up on its own and once off road on wet mud /clay or even shingle the front will not wash out

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The thing comes to life on a loose or wet surface very low surface area very little footprint less damage barley leaves a tyre track used like an atv can go into areas which motor vehicles are banned the front does not wash out plus when you stop it stays upright
the plan was an off road original tricycle for a friend who has no sense of balance but with out a rear diff the two wheels at the back will not corner ,so this was born :oops: now its a new version with a mid drive and lots of power next [you all know I am a little:mad::rolleyes:]

Reactions: jarob10

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just gone to its new home:D:( now can think about mk2 with a mid drive yum yum:rolleyes: just got the head tubes machined to take bearings need a steel frame to cut and shut :eek: