see before you buy

Beej

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2008
I have just acquired a wisper se city (thank you, Flecc, for the suggestion) and so far it is all I could have wished.

It was one of the few bikes I could get to see and try. Most makers seem to expect one to buy unseen on the net. Even where a manufacturer has a network of dealer, such as Giant, not all dealers carry any stock (though The Bike Chain in Bridgwater came good). 50cycles could not demonstrate a Kalkhoff within 100 miles of my home. The best place I found was Atmosphere Bikes in Bristol, who could show me a number of makes and discuss their pros and cons (thanks, Alistair).

Is there a case for a list of owner on this forum who are prepared to show off their bikes to prospective new buyers? I would be happy to demonstrate mine if someone could not otherwise get their hands on one.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi, apologies for not being able to direct you to a nearby kalkhoff, it's something we're always working on fixing!

From Saturday our bikes will be on display and available to ride in Notting Hill (more details on our website 'See our electric bikes at the London Eco Shop'), not far from Portobello Road and Notting Hill Gate. They're also available to hire by the hour (we deduct the rental fee from the cost of the bike if you decide to order) in Richmond Park.

And there is a growing network of private owners who are happy to let people take their bike for a spin. Just drop us a line or fill out the demonstration request form and we'll put you in contact with the nearest person who can help.

And of course there's our main showroom in Loughborough. I keep a Pro Connect and Agattu here in Kingston that are available to test ride when I'm not out and about on one or other myself!

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am having wheel problems with my 905SE.I suggest you keep a close eye on, and check the spoke nipples regularity as mine have started to fail.

Wisper and dealers don't consider this covered by warranty! I have been riding leisure bikes for 25 years and never had a problem with a wheel. my bike is lightly used (new June this year) and has covered 398 miles according to odometer and I am disgusted.

inexplicably one member on here has had a free rebuild of a much stronger rear wheel so they must know these wheels are not "fit for purpose" and he is a hard core commuter.....

I am fed up, and wish I had bought an Agutta

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Beej,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are in my part of the country.

Nick

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I have just acquired a wisper se city (thank you, Flecc, for the suggestion) and so far it is all I could have wished.

It was one of the few bikes I could get to see and try. Most makers seem to expect one to buy unseen on the net. Even where a manufacturer has a network of dealer, such as Giant, not all dealers carry any stock (though The Bike Chain in Bridgwater came good). 50cycles could not demonstrate a Kalkhoff within 100 miles of my home. The best place I found was Atmosphere Bikes in Bristol, who could show me a number of makes and discuss their pros and cons (thanks, Alistair).

Is there a case for a list of owner on this forum who are prepared to show off their bikes to prospective new buyers? I would be happy to demonstrate mine if someone could not otherwise get their hands on one.
Although i think it is a very good idea to allow new buyers to try our bikes,you would need to be very cautious who you allowed to try,i can imagine standing there pulling my hair out waiting for my bike to be returned,there are always con artists looking to make a fast buck,if you just handed them your bike to try out,it could all end in tears.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What Paul advises is very true, and there have been many motor cycle thefts carried out in a similar way when "trying out" a motorbike advertised as for sale. A person trying the e-bike only needs an accomplice around the corner with a van and it's the last you see of your expensive bike.

Holding someone's credit card is no guarantee either, given the scale of credit card theft.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
testing a bike

Easy really and doesn't take rocket science :D
Just ask them that in order to take the bike for a test ride that they need to provide a valid passport and keep hold of this whilst they are on their ride.
Any honest potential buyer would not argue the fact and if they do not have a valid passport, request they leave some form of collateral.
If they are honest they will comply and if not they will go try another bike shop and not not nick yours :D
No Brainer really :confused:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
The motorcycling media are always warning about this type of theft; although e-bike theft appears small with very few posting of theft on here. (bike theft; it's a yoof fing innit? And e-bikes in the UK are not seen by the young as cool - yet).

Plus ALL documents can be forged. You and I may make poor forgers, but it's what criminals are good at.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007

Hi Beej and welcome
I agree with what you say and must admit I bought my Wisper 905se without trying it out and trust me you won't be disappointed :)
However, I did much research before coming to my decision so don't think I bought it on a whim as looked into it for well over a year and had a PowaByke for 3!
I personally have had no problems with my wheels, so don't go worrying about yours as there maybe the odd couple out there and certainly doesn't mean you will have a problem, so enjoy :cool:
I have had mine about 9 months and have ridden almost every work day together with weekend jaunts.
So keep us posted on how you go and enjoy :D

PS. I would be happy to demonstrate mine to prospective buyers in the area and let them have a go but be prepared to leave your passport :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Doesn't necessarily work Mandy, and though a bit more secure than I said with credit cards, passports also get stolen and altered as well. These forgeries can be quite expert. The scale of fraud in this country now is mind boggling, many hundreds of millions of pounds worth a year in goods and cash.

The same goes for any collateral unless it's banknotes.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I am having wheel problems with my 905SE.I suggest you keep a close eye on, and check the spoke nipples regularity as mine have started to fail.

Wisper and dealers don't consider this covered by warranty! I have been riding leisure bikes for 25 years and never had a problem with a wheel. my bike is lightly used (new June this year) and has covered 398 miles according to odometer and I am disgusted.

inexplicably one member on here has had a free rebuild of a much stronger rear wheel so they must know these wheels are not "fit for purpose" and he is a hard core commuter.....

I am fed up, and wish I had bought an Agutta
I am really sorry to hear of your problems Eddie and hope they are sorted soon.
Hopefully, once sorted you will put this behind you and enjoy the bike as I have. Fingers crossed for you :)
Regards

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
...The same goes for any collateral unless it's banknotes.

There you go Flecc; gis a go on your bike then. :)

P.S. (They're 50p each off eBay or order direct from Lakeside Products in Chicago to get at cost price.)

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
What Paul advises is very true, and there have been many motor cycle thefts carried out in a similar way when "trying out" a motorbike advertised as for sale. A person trying the e-bike only needs an accomplice around the corner with a van and it's the last you see of your expensive bike.

Holding someone's credit card is no guarantee either, given the scale of credit card theft.
Well, in five years of trading and demonstrating electric bikes hundreds of times, we've had precisely zero thefts. Electric cyclists and those who want to become electric cyclists are a trustworthy bunch, in my experience.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Easy really and doesn't take rocket science :D
Just ask them that in order to take the bike for a test ride that they need to provide a valid passport and keep hold of this whilst they are on their ride.
Any honest potential buyer would not argue the fact and if they do not have a valid passport, request they leave some form of collateral.
If they are honest they will comply and if not they will go try another bike shop and not not nick yours :D
No Brainer really :confused:
Good idea but could you tell the difference between a real passport and a fake one,how much collateral would you accept £1000 cash, nobody would be carrying this amount on them,so how about a couple of stolen credit cards,and a fake rolex watch,most people are honest but anybody new to this site,who knows.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, in five years of trading and demonstrating electric bikes hundreds of times, we've had precisely zero thefts. Electric cyclists and those who want to become electric cyclists are a trustworthy bunch, in my experience.
It's not the electric bikers I'm concerned with Tim, it's the thief posing as one.

It's true that it's been confined to motorbikes previously, but to assume it won't happen on e-bikes now they can cost so much would not be wise.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
It's not the electric bikers I'm concerned with Tim, it's the thief posing as one.

It's true that it's been confined to motorbikes previously, but to assume it won't happen on e-bikes now they can cost so much would not be wise.
And yet, over the course of five years in a variety of locations with hundreds, maybe thousands of people taking one or other bike for a spin, not one of our electric bicycles, nor any of our customers', has ever been stolen. I can only report the facts as they stand, but must admit I'm as much surprised as relieved.

I think it has something to do with the bike being not quite complete without a charger.

That's not to say none will be stolen - take care out there, keep 'em peeled, don't have nightmares - or that none have been stolen when left in the street. They have.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
You have been very lucky,i know the forum is full of good people at the moment,but you should always be on your guard ,with the prices of second hand electric bikes being so high especially the kalkhoffs,it is bound to come to the attention of professional bike theives,i believe bromptons have become a target being of high value.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008

Iv'e just bought a Wisper too Beej, got it from Sammy Millers Museum Wisper e bike shop at New Milton and so far very pleased. I wasn't allowed out of the gates on to the road because of insurance issues which I was quite willing to comply with, but they do have a fairly large area in which to try the bike, ie the car park, entry an exit area to the museum and the quadrangle around the front of the museum, so a good area to get an idea.
Wanted to use the bike today but absolutely teeming down here so I gave up and did other things including starting a model train layout though this will definitely not take precedence from going out on the bike if conditions outside are good, I'm an outdoor person not an indoor one!
Don't know about letting propective owners try the bike though, as others have said this could involve security issues; just a thought, perhaps any trials could be limited to Pedelec members and an agreed password or other agreed identification could be used.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Doesn't necessarily work Mandy, and though a bit more secure than I said with credit cards, passports also get stolen and altered as well. These forgeries can be quite expert. The scale of fraud in this country now is mind boggling, many hundreds of millions of pounds worth a year in goods and cash.

The same goes for any collateral unless it's banknotes.
From someone who investigates fraud on a daily basis I am well aware of the threat and existence of identity theft Flecc :D

I think the possibility of someone forging a passport simply to pinch an electric bike is a little far fetched, together with a forged credit card? :)

As I said, no brainer, if someone is serious about buying one they are not likely to leave a passport that has cost them money to have produced or produced themselves for something as: I hate to say it, an electic bike, although I do love my Wisper! :D

Regards always :p

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Good idea but could you tell the difference between a real passport and a fake one,how much collateral would you accept £1000 cash, nobody would be carrying this amount on them,so how about a couple of stolen credit cards,and a fake rolex watch,most people are honest but anybody new to this site,who knows.
Well if it's a woman get her to leave her handbag :D

If it's a man, get him to leave his trousers as he will not have his brain in order for him to work out his next move on nicking the bike :D

Sorry guys, It is only a joke and not mean't to offend anyone :D I am just finding this amusing and better than the dark place of those earlier posts :)