Separating Julet connectors

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Apologies for such a noob question.

What is the best way to separate the connectors on my wiring harness?

I have one in particular that is very tight (one of the smaller ones).

I don't want to start wiggling it or pulling on the wires for obvious reasons.

I just can't seem to get a good enough grip to pull it apart.

Any ideas, tips or tricks? Or tools that you use?

Thanks

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Be very gentle or you'll break the connector or the internal wires - after managing to both (Bafang programming cable connector and internal wire breakages), I now add a tiny bit of silicone lubricant around the edge of any tight connectors, once the connectors have eventually come apart. I also use self-adhesive 4:1 marine heat shrink over the connector and wire (pictured) - 4:1 because it starts wide enugh to slip over both the wire and connector. Patiently and very gently slowly wiggle from side to side as you pull by the connector, not the wire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Well I solved m own problem, the answer is to use two pairs of mole grips to pull tight connectors apart.

Mole grips can be set to just grip enough to keep hold and do not grip harder as you try to pull the connector apart as you could do with regular pliers or water pump pliers.

Still very important not to wiggle as you pull.

Once they were all apart, I applied some silicone grease as recommended by guerney.

I guess this is a non-problem for most people but the the last thing I want to do is damage the connectors on the kit I paid a decent amount of money for.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Apologies for such a noob question.

What is the best way to separate the connectors on my wiring harness?

I have one in particular that is very tight (one of the smaller ones).

I don't want to start wiggling it or pulling on the wires for obvious reasons.

I just can't seem to get a good enough grip to pull it apart.

Any ideas, tips or tricks? Or tools that you use?

Thanks
I had a similar problem so I made a very simple tool (in truth a 'bodge') consisting of 4 pieces of square section softwood which clamp either side of the connector (in my case the one feeding the front wheel motor) and using a large broad-bladed screwdriver to lever the blocks and hence connector apart.