Sexist or realist?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The propaganda says the genders are equal in performance, but the truth is very different as your example shows. It's the same with car punctures, breakdown etc, a man more often than not coming to the rescue.

Hopefully that will eventually change, but we're a long way from it yet.

D

Deleted member 4366

The world is sexist. Every person (nearly) is sexist. God made it that way for a reason!

Test to see if you're sexist:

Would you rather go for a romantic night out with a woman or a bloke?
Would you prefer to wear a dress or bloke's trousers on that romantic night out?

If you answer, "don't care" to both of those questions, you're probably not a sexist, otherwise you are.

I'm definitely sexist. I only kiss women. I open doors for them (even the ugly ones). occasionally give up my bus/train seat to them, wait for them to sit down first in the restaurant, etc, and I'm proud to be so.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hang on a minute, you have all assumed that one of the ladies had the puncture.

Perhaps the bike that the guy was riding had the puncture and the ladies simply stopped to leer at him or take the p**s.

LP, I noticed that even you went back to check out the guys backside.

Reactions: Alan Quay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Perhaps the bike that the guy was riding had the puncture and the ladies simply stopped to leer at him or take the p**s.
He was a passing jogger, no bike.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

LP, I noticed that even you went back to check out the guys backside.
You need to read the annotation notes on the video Ed. :)

As Flecc said, the guy's a jogger and the timechecks indicate that they'd been faffing around for 40 minutes. By which time, I'd been around the park and back.. and guys backsides ain't my thing. :rolleyes:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The vid provides an answer to the age-old cycling question:

How many cyclists does it take to fix a puncture?

Looks like four in this case, but I expect my cycling group has exceeded that on occasion.

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The vid provides an answer to the age-old cycling question:

How many cyclists does it take to fix a puncture?

Looks like four in this case, but I expect my cycling group has exceeded that on occasion.
Like the time I stopped to help three lycras, one of their bikes with a flat. It turned out that they had the kit with them and had already mended the puncture.

But none of them had a pump! :D

So I changed my connector to presta and pumped the tyre for them. Didn't get a thank you, they were probably embarrassed by a utility cyclist in street clothing rescuing them.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Like the time I stopped to help three lycras, one of their bikes with a flat. It turned out that they had the kit with them and had already mended the puncture.

But none of them had a pump! :D

So I changed my connector to presta and pumped the tyre for them. Didn't get a thank you, they were probably embarrassed by a utility cyclist in street clothing rescuing them.
Something similar happened to me on a mini-tour with a mate as we approached York.

On that occasion, the roadie's pump wouldn't work.

No thanks after he borrowed mine.

Roadies can be self-absorbed and very snotty with other types of cyclists.

To give this one the benefit of the doubt, it may be his mind was a bit befuddled by his pneumatic difficulties and he just forgot to say thank you.

His riding partner and girlfriend was twittering on at him at the time.

Me and my mate were glad to leave them.

Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, they look like Mothers/Grandmothers to me.
No "SJW safe space seeking, all men are rapists" nonsense about them.
Probably raised young sons themselves, no delusions about the very real difference between the sexes.
If you are a woman and don't want to get your hands dirty, just look helpless as soon as a man comes along.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I'm a woman and I have to say I absolutely dread having a puncture while out on my bike. 30+ years ago I had numerous punctures and became quite adept at repairing them - perhaps not the fastest but they were done within about 30 minutes, the tyre back on and they held.

Now, as a result of breaking several fingers and thumb, I am quite clumsy, my fingers aren't quite where they should be and I've lost much dexterity and strength in them, so I know I would find puncture repairs difficult.

I always want to be independent, carry a puncture repair kit and inner tube along with a pump but if I had a struggle and a passing cyclist was kind enough to offer to help, I would gladly accept. Similarly, if I saw any lone cyclist with a puncture, I would always offer to help (for what use that would be!) or at least offer a patch.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The thing is that sexism does not have to be divisive.
I was at my sailing club when I lost a rather important button, one of the lady members kindly sewed it back on for me.
Equally, when her car wouldn't start, it was the men who rallied around to get it going.
We all have our strengths, we all have our weaknesses.

• Agree

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
As anyone who has changed many tyres would know removing and refitting a tyre can take a lot of strength at times and on a purely practical basis men are more likely to be stronger and there for better equipped to change tyres.

I have tyres that almost fall onto the rim and others that have bent tyre levers and taken a lot of strength to fit.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The world is sexist. Every person (nearly) is sexist. God made it that way for a reason!

Test to see if you're sexist:

Would you rather go for a romantic night out with a woman or a bloke?
Would you prefer to wear a dress or bloke's trousers on that romantic night out?

If you answer, "don't care" to both of those questions, you're probably not a sexist, otherwise you are.

I'm definitely sexist. I only kiss women. I open doors for them (even the ugly ones). occasionally give up my bus/train seat to them, wait for them to sit down first in the restaurant, etc, and I'm proud to be so.
I always suspected were the old fashioned type Dave.
Welcome to the club.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'm a woman and I have to say I absolutely dread having a puncture while out on my bike. 30+ years ago I had numerous punctures and became quite adept at repairing them - perhaps not the fastest but they were done within about 30 minutes, the tyre back on and they held.

Now, as a result of breaking several fingers and thumb, I am quite clumsy, my fingers aren't quite where they should be and I've lost much dexterity and strength in them, so I know I would find puncture repairs difficult.

I always want to be independent, carry a puncture repair kit and inner tube along with a pump but if I had a struggle and a passing cyclist was kind enough to offer to help, I would gladly accept. Similarly, if I saw any lone cyclist with a puncture, I would always offer to help (for what use that would be!) or at least offer a patch.
My wifes bike as spare tube, levers and pump, she may not know how to use them but at least any passerby would be able to do repair. The other plus is her tyres are really easy to remove.