Shimano’s new electronic shifter

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looks like Shimano may have developed a decent electric shifter

Stapleton, an experienced amateur cyclist, has used the Di2 system extensively and is a convert.

“I think every high-end bike within three years will have this, maybe sooner,” he said, adding that the system also eliminates much of the maintenance required by mechanical systems.
Although, I think this is sort of a luxury item not really necessary to an electric bike --- really even with drive thru gears lots of shifting is not really necessary. But I still think it's an interesting inovation.

ALSO, do you really want to increase the cost of your electric bike by another third of the price! :eek:

Two paddle-shaped electronic switches that sit behind the brake lever allow riders to shift gears. Tapping either paddle lightly in Di2 sends an electronic signal through a wire to a small motor inside the derailleur, moving the body and thus the chain by turning a worm gear. Even Devin Walton, a spokesman for Shimano, acknowledges that when it comes to the rear derailleur, there is little or no difference in shifting between the electronic and comparable mechanical offerings from the company.

The gains are move obvious, however, with the front derailleur, which moves the chain between the two large, toothed rings on the bicycle’s crank.

The action of the electronic system is so effortless that, compared with mechanical levers, it leaves users feeling almost disconnected from the bike.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/sports/cycling/14gears.html?em

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Formula 1 comes to cycling! :)

A bit of a gimmick for oneupmanship, but good to see that design thought about these systems continues.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Looks like Shimano may have developed a decent electric shifter
Decent? Time will tell. :D
Although, I think this is sort of a luxury item not really necessary to an electric bike --- really even with drive thru gears lots of shifting is not really necessary. But I still think it's an interesting inovation.
Depends how often you have to change speed, I have almost constant stop/start and hills on my rides and change a hell of a lot. I would be very interested if it wasn't for:
ALSO, do you really want to increase the cost of your electric bike by another third of the price! :eek:
A bit more than that, $4000 for the full set and $2000 to upgrade an existing Shimano set.
NYTimes said:
About 10 riders will race with the system even though they have used it on only one or two training rides after receiving them late this week.
Ah, the power of sponsorship over desire to win a race. :eek: