Shimano Advanced E-bike System

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
If I understand it right, the electronics are to get a push button gear change I'm not sure I see the point. The twist grip requires hardly any effort, the rapid fire is slick as you like.

It would seem a little gimmicky to me, complication for little return. Might sell as a novelty, I suppose.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I understand it right, the electronics are to get a push button gear change I'm not sure I see the point. The twist grip requires hardly any effort, the rapid fire is slick as you like.

It would seem a little gimmicky to me, complication for little return. Might sell as a novelty, I suppose.
Same as steering wheel paddle change on cars really, just a light-touch added convenience but not really necessary. But people like these added features, and it does clear the way for fully auto gearchanges which is valuable in clearing the handlebars of control excess, a problem on many e-bikes.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Mavic produced a similar system in the mid 90s, it suffered from water problems at first but got good reviews later.
There may not be much bad about the Shimano system but is there enough good to warrant the extra cost, a few ebikers will shell out a lot but very few want to spend over 2 grand on a whole bike let alone over 1 grand just on the gear shifter.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
I've not long got back from testing the first Shimano bikes, and can confirm that the unit will be compatible with the new 11speed hub gear (non-elec shift) the new 8r rear hub with elec-shift, and any other Shimano conventional hub gear. The gear shift is electronic, not fully automatic. You have two levers as additions to the brake lever. The quality of the cable couplings is very good, and the whole system boasts complete waterproofness.

The hub has 2 regen modes, and 3 power modes. My fav feature was the integrated brake levers with the electronic controls. Nice touch. I can't possibly comment any further on what the bike was like to ride, although I will be doing some more in depth testing (including range testing) as soon as I can get my hands on one permanently (very soon). They were very secretive about motor and battery technology, and would only confirm lithium, 2 year warranty, and 24v 4Ah, despite my probing.

The range test was done with an 85kg rider in Japan, 100m flat, followed by 40m incline, and 60m decline repeated with regen. I didnt ride the bike long enough to get any kind of idea as to range.

Dealers get PC supported software with an input, which can vary pretty much everything apart from the wheel size.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wow

What a great looking unit.

Shimano entering the market is very exciting and will add a much needed boost to help publicise electric biking.

Nervous? Me? :eek:

All the best

David :)

Uningles

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2010
Spain
It's good news, but the spec leaves so many questions.

Range is the first concern. Sure, many riders are 85 kg, or less, but in the mass market for ebikes the rule is often nearer 100 kg. With extra weight (and bulk), not to mention battery wear and moderately hilly, or flat headwind terrain, those 40 km rapidly become 20 km; that means a 10 km max range if you want to ride back with any margin of safety. A minimum of 15 to 20 km there and the same again back would be more persuasive.

With respect to the electronic gear changing, BB torque sensor and range considerations; it could well be that the system controller will effectively only provide assist when it is really needed and that is how they eek out the range. For example, only provide a controlled percentage of motor assist (by controlling the motor current) depending on current pedal torque, speed and gearing and/or automatically shift gears based on these latter factors to optimise motor current draw efficiency. So in other words, the ebike becomes more of a normal bike more often than it is a typical ebike. Given the extra weight that ebikes have to carry, this may not sit well with potential users. On the other hand, if done well enough, many may not even notice.

Hill handling and top peddling speeds may depend more on the gearing than the motor torque - which could be unfortunate since the single piece electronic hub gears will most likely limit what you get. We can only hope they get those right and match them to the rest of the drive system and bike - except that being a component system, what it gets matched to will vary widely.

A front hub motor would worry me. Again, how many inadequate cheap forks will that be fitted to? Maybe less of an issue if the torque isn't great, but then ...

I'm guessing the small battery is intended to keep the cost of the system down, overall. However, integrating system components into the bottom bracket and cranks could then be costly in terms of maintenance when worn components need to be service replaced. Will depend on how the cranks and BB are assembled, I guess.

All in all it looks like a set of components that will end up on low capability entry level ebikes. Not necessarily a bad thing and it is a start and more options for pedelec-heads like us.

All my own (wild) speculation, of course.