Shimano revoshift - changing gears

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Apologies in advance for the newbie question.
Just got my first electric bike which has 7 speed Shimano Revoshift gears.
Is it ok to change up or down more than one gear at a time say from 5th to 2nd ?

C

Cyclezee

That's not a problem Scobo, but whenever changing gear, be it just one or several, it is recommended that you pause pedaling whilst changing.

J:) hn

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks John.
I had read elsewhere that you should continue pedalling when changing.
Would this do any harm ?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Depends on what type of gears you have. If it is a hub gear, best to do as John says; if a derailleur, keep pedalling!

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
If it is a hub gear, best to do as John says; if a derailleur, keep pedalling!
Not too sure on that one, might need to contact the dealer.
Found this shot of the gearing on the dealers website.
Is it possible to tell the difference from it ?

C

Cyclezee

Sorry Scobo, thought you had hub gears from your first post. I can see from your photo that you have derailleuer gears, so you need to keep pedalling to change and one gear at a time.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a derailleur, i.e. it de-rails the chain from one cog to another at the back wheel. Hub gears are a little like car and motorcycle gearboxes in that they use cogs inside a casing in the wheel centre to give different gears.

With your derailleur you must keep pedalling to change gear and can change more than one at a time. In general they tend to change down multiple sprockets easier than changing up, preferring one at a time then.

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
In general they tend to change down multiple sprockets easier than changing up, preferring one at a time then.
Many modern bikes have shifters that reflect Flecc's info above: "up" is only allowed one at a time, but "down" can be anywhere from 1 to 3 depending on how far you press the lever.

Simon

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks Flecc.
From your description I'd say your right as I can see the chain switch from one cog to another when changing gear.
Seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion re changing more than one gear at time though.
Might just stick to one change at a time so's not to damage anything until someone can clarify this.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No difference really, Simon is right in that some, particularly the main manufacturer, Shimano, have designed their "Up" trigger shifter to change up only one gear at a time, but allow either one, two or three when changing down by how far the "Down" trigger is pulled.

When a twistgrip shifter is used, how many that are changed is up to the rider's amount they twist the grip, but if trying to change up more than one, it will only happen if it's done slowly. Don't worry, you won't break anything by getting it wrong, it will just refuse to change smoothly so you'll know what was wrong.

scobo

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks guys.
Mine's a twistgrip so I'll give this a go over the weekend (weather permitting).