Shock absorber seat post

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Bugger, only just seen this. I have a mint Suntour in my shed which I had totally forgotton about until this thread, used for one ride on the Mrs bike but as stated above it added a bit too much height for her. Could maybe have done a deal on it.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
Bugger, only just seen this. I have a mint Suntour in my shed which I had totally forgotton about until this thread, used for one ride on the Mrs bike but as stated above it added a bit too much height for her. Could maybe have done a deal on it.
Dam seems to be the story of my life, if i had ordered from Amazon I could have cancelled but its from eBay.

It's a bright day so I gave it a bit of a run out. Covered about 18mls and it definitely needs the spring loaded seat post my poor prostate will thank me.
Bit different from the Carrera bike, feels heavier and the assist is different, gear change is not nearly as smooth as the Carrera which changes with hardly a sound, battery used just over 1/4 of a charge but it was on 1/2 when i started.
Seems I'll have to learn more to get the best from it next nice day I'll fully change it and see how it goes.

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
New Post came this morning so I nipped out and fitted it, quite straight forward with no problems I could see, but looking at the forecast it may be a while before I can give it a real test.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
New Post came this morning so I nipped out and fitted it, quite straight forward with no problems I could see, but looking at the forecast it may be a while before I can give it a real test.
TIP# make sure the clamp is reasonably tight. the bump bump bump action of these things can cause the post to drop.

Cane Creek Thudbuster is the other well known name.
Usually quite spendy though. The suntour thing looks too similar not to give similar performance.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I missed out bidding on cheap bikes with Thudbusters already fitted. Elastomers for Thudbusters are still available (at the time), even second hand worth keeping an eye out for on ebay etc.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've installed a Loam dropper post from PNW components, dropper posts are normally associated with the MTB fraternity but I was attracted to the possibility of lowering my Brooks B17 by 125mm on demand from a lever on the handlebars....Why?
Much easier to mount and dismount, at 65 years of age I want to make getting on and off a lot easier.
At lights, etc the seat drops on demand so that both feet are firmly on the ground without getting off the seat.
The icing on the cake is that the Loam has 40mm of adjustable air suspension built in depending on your weight...The only seat post that has adjustable air suspension as far as I know.

Absolutely love it!.....£235 delivered from the PNW website(seat post and trigger)

View attachment 56462

View attachment 56463

View attachment 56464
I positioned my seat at an extreme angle, so at lights I simply slide off. Easy to get back on too, but with some trousers rear pockets catch while doing so. When pedalling hard, I perch on the top of the seat on my sitting bones, for maximum leg extension. When pedalling lazily expending as little energy as possible, (the programmed BBS01B is great for that), I'm sat further down the saddle. This works well with my particular cheap wide bicycle saddle, your saddle may vary. Of course this doesn't provide any suspension other than saddle springs, but I've become used to it.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Stock up on fruit pies. That will give you an ample and comfortable read end to soak up any bumps

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I positioned my seat at an extreme angle, so at lights I simply slide off. Easy to get back on too, but with some trousers rear pockets catch while doing so. When pedalling hard, I perch on the top of the seat on my sitting bones, for maximum leg extension. When pedalling lazily expending as little energy as possible, (the programmed BBS01B is great for that), I'm sat further down the saddle. This works well with my particular cheap wide bicycle saddle, your saddle may vary. Of course this doesn't provide any suspension other than saddle springs, but I've become used to it.
Are you serious? :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Stock up on fruit pies. That will give you an ample and comfortable read end to soak up any bumps
Nope, my weight is heading in the opposite direction... I think I must have developed gluteus maximus corns or something, because shocks don't bother me anymore. Of course if I see an unavoidable bump approaching, I stand on my pedals...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are you serious? :oops:
Yes. For over three years and 4,000km+. Works brilliantly. I haven't tried this with a narrow profile lightweight or lightly padded saddle, doubt it'd work. Another advatange of the extreme saddle angle, is on long rides - every so often I can perch higher up on my sitting bones, relieving pressure/applying pressure on a different area.

Last edited: