Short circuit between phase wires? Fix?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Its a badly made unit as the screws and their holes are missing, so is the heat sink paste, that should be keeping the transistors hard and cool against the heat sink.
So you may be lucky and replacing them will bring the controller back to life. But do add the screws, plastic insulating washers and heat sink paste as well....
As the transistors apparently must not be electrically connected to the heat sink.
Warning, the same transistors,possibly from a different maker, the legs may be not be in the same configuration. So do check carefully before ordering and fitting.
Best wishes
Andy

crazymaster

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2018
London
I just removed the screws to make the photo.

Its hard to find these transistors in London.. or at least i dont know from where haha. Any tips for fast shipping?

Any other opinions about this controller and fixing?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I just removed the screws to make the photo.

Its hard to find these transistors in London.. or at least i dont know from where haha. Any tips for fast shipping?

Any other opinions about this controller and fixing?
I often use ebay for components with good success...
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The LCD works independently from the controller. All it needs is battery voltage on the red and black wires to work.

Don't by IRFB 4110s on Ebay. Many of them are fakes. All the ones I bought from there were, so I had to buy a large quantity direct from IR, but whenever you buy from USA, you have to pay tax and handling, which makes them expensive. It's a waste of time repairing the controller. The cost of the MOSFETs is more than the cost of the controller, and you don't know whether the switching transistors are blown.

It worries me that you might have an intermittent short in that motor or its wiring. A short will wipe out your controller very quickly.

crazymaster

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2018
London
I will probably just use 48V controller.. i have only 15 days left in UK, so i cant wait for parts...

Its very strange why the motor was not spinning ok... and how it started acting normally when i put it back on the bike...

I will finish with connecting the other controller tomorrow and test the bike afer that