Shorter motor extension lead

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Hi

I'm wondering is it possible to buy a shorter extension lead for my hub motor?
The one I got with the kit is about 1m in length. Given my small wheel and where I'm mounting the controller
something around 30cm would be ideal. I've attached a picture of the lead - it's a round yoke with 9 pins.

TIA

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you shorten it at the other end? Normally it splits into three phase wires and 5 for the halls. Cur the wire to the length you want, then cut the connectors off the other bit aboyt 2" from the connector and solder the wires together. Better still, solder them direct to the controller PCB after removing the old ones like this:

I think this is the same as yours, Heres all the wires you can get red of:

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Yeah, I reckon I could do that. I'd prefer not to solder until I know that the controller is good over at least a few months.
If this is the best way to do it I'll see if I have room to for now tie the excess cable off into the body of the control compartment built into the frog and solder the lead as a winter project once the controller has been road tested.

Thanks

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
I'm ready to start wiring up now and I see that an extension of around 10cm is sufficient. I'd be mad to do other than break out the soldering iron.
I'll bench test everything tomorrow and if everything works I'll extend the lead coming out of the controller.
Can I assume that the colour coding will be consistent between the connector coming out of the controller and the extension lead I'm going to cut down?

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Very frustrating - I went to charge the battery today before bench testing and they've sent me the wrong charger.
The supplier came back by return and they're sending me the correct part but I'm banjaxed 'til it arrives. There isn't even enough in the battery to safely do a test so I'll just have to wait.