Should I avoid "in frame' Batteries?

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Hi Guys,

Im still considering what bike to buy but I read somewhere that buyers should avoid in frame batteries because they can't be replaced if a cell goes dead. Is this correct? should i only go for a bike where the battery is detachable from the frame or carrier?

The bike that prompts this question is shown in the picture so you can see the battery style I am referring too.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmFsZWlnaC5jby51ay9tZWRpYS9jYXRhbG9nL3Byb2R1Y3Qvci9nL3JnZ2g0NnVyLmpwZw==.jpeg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
batteries are now filled with silicon, making replacement of a single cell economically non viable.
All batteries have the same problem with replacement, their manufacturers don't make the same casings forever.
You pay a large premium for some brands but the manufacturing cost of a battery varies little with the case style so it's better to figure out how to fit another downtube battery in its place.

Reactions: iRider

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The in-frame batteries are replaceable as a unit. You're often tied to the manufacturer for a replacement, so I'd only get one if the bike was extremely popular, otherwise it's not that likely that a battery will be available when you need one years down the road. Many of the Chinese bikes use standard in-frame batteries, but fashions are always changing. They probably still be around at your first replacement, but less likely as time goes on.

• Agree
Reactions: iRider and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd say always be very wary. You are not only tied to the supplier but to what they want to charge for a battery.

And in one notorious case from a major e-bike supplier, the replacement battery wasn't even available after one year and with nothing else suitable.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Is your worry about ease of charging or cost/ease of replacement?

The bike in the picture is a Raleigh. I think that uses the Bosch power tube. There is no risk of not being able to find a replacement for that, although with an RRP of £650 for 500 W/hr it is pricey.

But I had thought you could take the power tubes out. Is that not the case?

Personally I like taking my battery off the bike and charging (and keeping it) inside. I have never charged "on bike". It's much easier to find any socket than any socket I can park my bike next to.

Some of the Cubes have a semi integrated battery. So there is a battery cover that keep the battery dry and hidden but they're not as sleek as the ones that use the power tube.

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I wouldn't worry personally
They will all go in frame eventually due to esthetics
Buy a main make and the worry of battery availability shouldn't be a problem as for price you pay your money and take your choice

And Removal of most in frame batteries are no harder than external ones

For me on a personal level I hate external batteries they ruin the frame lines of a bike

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Is your worry about ease of charging or cost/ease of replacement?

The bike in the picture is a Raleigh. I think that uses the Bosch power tube. There is no risk of not being able to find a replacement for that, although with an RRP of £650 for 500 W/hr it is pricey.

But I had thought you could take the power tubes out. Is that not the case?

Personally I like taking my battery off the bike and charging (and keeping it) inside. I have never charged "on bike". It's much easier to find any socket than any socket I can park my bike next to.

Some of the Cubes have a semi integrated battery. So there is a battery cover that keep the battery dry and hidden but they're not as sleek as the ones that use the power tube.
Thanks Andy, I have done some reading up on the Bosch Power Tube and it seems it could be obtained and replaced if required all be as you say at a price. Thanks.

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Appreciate the responses guys, I have pushed the button on it now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the question is can you recell the power tube batts ie take out the cells without damaging the case they fit in to.

problem is there so new atm no one is going to void a warranty to find out but Bosch will have parts for the next 10 years and my 2014 batt is still going ;)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Its horses for courses.

Using my 2015 Yamaha Haibike to commute to work and back I really appreciate having a battery that I can take off the bike easily so that I can bring it in the house when I get home.

This has in no small part contributed to me to keeping my battery in really good shape, now in its 5th year of use and with over 11,000 miles ridden and working beautifully.

I am lucky to be able use a heated locked room at work where I charge my battery on the bike. However the room might not always be available and I would then need to be able to take the battery off to charge away from the bike.

I am sure it would be possible to design an intergrated battery that could be quickly and easily removed but I am not sure we are at that point at the moment.

I also have a rear hub Chinese derived bike with a battery behind the seat tube that is too much flaff to take off the bike and has needed to be replaced three times since I bought the bike in 2011. The batteries though not as high quality as the Yamaha are considerably cheaper with the last one costing just over £200 including a spare charger from ebay.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I am sure it would be possible to design an intergrated battery that could be quickly and easily removed but I am not sure we are at that point at the moment.
I'm not sure what you mean by this ?
I can remove my integrated batteries as quick i could remove any frame mounted batteries ive had
2 frame mounted bosch batteries 1 powertube and a shimano steps inergrated battery all simple and easy to remove

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'm not sure what you mean by this ?
I can remove my integrated batteries as quick i could remove any frame mounted batteries ive had
2 frame mounted bosch batteries 1 powertube and a shimano steps inergrated battery all simple and easy to remove
we need a 36v 30ah one of those ;)

Reactions: Fat Rat
D

Deleted member 25121

Can the battery pack be easily detached / extracted from the frame?
No - best avoided.
Yes:

Is the battery pack made by a reputable supplier?
Yes - no problem.
No:

Can the battery pack be disassembled so that the individual batteries can be replaced?
No - best avoided
Yes - worth considering if you're a DIY type or happy to find a company to do the work for you. Has some risks - may not work, possibly limited guarantee.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Hi Guys,

Im still considering what bike to buy but I read somewhere that buyers should avoid in frame batteries because they can't be replaced if a cell goes dead. Is this correct? should i only go for a bike where the battery is detachable from the frame or carrier?
I am not the most informed rider, but I would consider it ludicrous that a battery cannot be changed out.
The Bosch batteries are guaranteed for 36 months to retain 80% of there capacity, that may put your mind at ease