Slime is it any good??

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
just wondering what is the general opinion. Does it work,or just a waste of money

gray

Nigelk

Pedelecer
Apr 8, 2012
Nr Banbury
Just bought some of the slime tyre protectors, only got them today, but they look really good. Should stop
the punctures. Did think about the slime inner tubes but went for the protectors instead. Haven't fitted them yet though.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've had trouble with both but others love them. The slime liquid didn't seal and stopped me applying a normal patch, the tyre protector inserts cut holes in the inner tubes.
After that I wouldn't fit any of them even if they were free.

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
I had a slow puncture on one of my slimed tyres. I could tell where the puncture was by the green stuff coming out of the hole in the inner tube. Which was jolly useful, and saved a bit of time.

Karl.

Last edited:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
...I had same problems as Mussels...buy SMP's in the first place...no such thing as a free lunch :)

....Mike

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I purchased the slime liquid. It didn't stop me from having puncture.

Now I'm testing the slime inner tube, hope it's going to work better.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I don`t like the slime gel but find with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Schwalbe tubes that I don`t need the gel, because I don`t get punctures.

I think the gel is just false economy. Buy decent tyres instead.

Steve

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi, I've had mixed results. For me slime worked with some punctures but for some reason didn't work on others - not sure why
When it doesn't work it can get messy!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's never worked for me, three different versions of the liquid products tried, in the past and more recently on my trailer tyres. All failed to fix a puncture every time and made it all but impossible to repair the puncture on the road due to the amount of slime covering the tube.

None of this is surprising, this was invented for car tubeless tyres with the much greater one piece thickness to seal. In a thinner bike tyre and separate tube, separation of tube and tyre with deflation often breaks the sealing attempt, leaving the slime oozing between tyre and tube. Never again.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I fitted a Slime filled inner tube to the front wheel after two punctures in a normal inner tube. Both punctures were caused by the residue of large hedgecutting machines spreading Blackthorne hedge all over the road.

I've not had a puncture since, but we will see how I get on the next time Farmer Giles gets his tractor out. It does seem odd that when checking pressures, green fluid gets into the valve fitting and tends to bung it up. I'm on the fence at the moment but I think I shall invest in some nice Shwalbe heavy duty tyres in future as a more satisfactory solution.

Its a big issue on an EBike, because I tend to go quite a long way away from home on the bike, and its a nuisance to get a flat 20 miles from home, when its starting to rain!

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Agree with most of the other replies. My experience is the same, Slime's a waste of time and messy and the plastic Slime insert chaffes and cuts the inner tube. The only real 'solution' is Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres or ones of a similar spec.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Having spent a fair proportion of my life in the tyre industry I have not seen a suitable puncture resistant product that is suitable for tubed tyres, and only moderate success with tubeless tyres.
One problem with 'sealents' is not knowing you actually have a puncture if there is no real loss of tyre pressure to indicate, which could lead to tyre failure.
A fair majority of tyre punctures are caused by running incorrect tyre pressures.
Tyres are the most important part of any vehicle, and the most neglected, after all,a tyre is an engineered product, and should be treated as such.

Nigelk

Pedelecer
Apr 8, 2012
Nr Banbury
Hi

Could someone please explain why the Slime insert chaffes and cuts the inner tube, is it because when the
tyre hits a bump of similar.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the ends that cause the problem usually, especially where they overlap. There is always some degree of movement in the rim to tube to tyre interfaces as flexing occurs on the road, and it's this constant movement with every wheel rotation that causes the chafing at the ridge points.

Nigelk

Pedelecer
Apr 8, 2012
Nr Banbury
It's the ends that cause the problem usually, especially where they overlap. There is always some degree of movement in the rim to tube to tyre interfaces as flexing occurs on the road, and it's this constant movement with every wheel rotation that causes the chafing at the ridge points.
Ok thanks, i wont fit mine then.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
thanks for replies. Seems the general consensus is that it does not work too well., and the best route is good tyres ie Shwalbe marathon

gray

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't forget the "Plus" as in Marathon Plus Gray, they come without the plus too and those don't have the same protection. The inner layer in the Plus is the secret, shown on blue here:

Last edited:

Kush

Just Joined
Aug 14, 2011
East London
I put another make of self sealing tube on my kudos. I got a puncture even with kevlar puncture protection tyres and it did not seal and then as other have said I could not repair it because of the gooey stuff in the tyre. Luckily I was only half a mile away from home on a 25mile ride.

Kalkhoff USA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2010
Slime sealant works really well if you're riding off-road in an area where you're likely to pick up thorns in your tires. It seals up those pinhole leaks really well.