Small Rear Xiongda Motor

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
We will have to see how it holds out heat wise on long climbs.
I will try it on a relatively steep climb later and check it's temp. Should I just whack the throttle on max all the way up and pedal as much as needed?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That should get it hot.

I used to pedal a lot uphill with the hub motor and use the assistance levels as a front crankset (the derailleur was disconnected on the old bike - broken shifter). Nowadays I would actually use the front crankset and just use the motor to give me the extra Watts to climb without getting hot and sweaty.

D

Deleted member 4366

The amount of pedalling shouldn't make a difference. The only thing that affects the motor is the amount of throttle and it's speed, though you need to pedal hard enough to stop the motor going too slow, so the questions are: How slow can it go at full throttle before it gets too hot? How hard do you have to pedal to prevent that. The second question should be turned the other way. How much assistance does the motor give so that you don't have to pedal hard to stop it from over-heating?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Full throttle up longish hills with no real pedalling slowed me down to about 10mph by the top then pottering around for about 15mins up some inclines along flats, all with no pedalling and throttle on full where poss ending with a small steep incline which again with no real pedalling slowed me down to 7mph and the motor got slightly warm measuring 33c deg with my laser thermometer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Couldn't resist and tried it on 12S lipo's fully charged at 50v, still with the original 11amp controller.
The controller seemed to work ok and the motor really comes to life. When unrestricted and full throttle it could pull me along the flat at about 20/21m p h without pedalling but it is noticable noisier you can definately hear it. It lacked the power of the bigger motors when going up hills or into headwinds but for it's size/weight it's really good. I also stopped every now and then to feel how hot it got and it was only warm. There does sound like there is some resistance in the motor when freewheeling but you can't really feel it.
Might see if I can up the controller amps a bit next.

Boris Zéro

Just Joined
Oct 29, 2017
France
Hello everyone :) i'm new here. I plan to build a stealth ebike using different parts and the ytw06 is my favorite one for this objective. But it seem to be noisy and have some resistance that is a big point to me. I wonder if just hadding some atf oil inside would make a difference. Make it run quieter and smoother.

D

Deleted member 4366

The noise doesn't come from the gears. it's the commutation noise from the sensorless motor. Oil might reduce the resistance a bit.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The sound isn't that loud and I don't find the resistance a problem but i've not used it much yet. I am hoping to do some mileage with it when the weather starts to improve next year so it might reduce when it's been used a while.

jens

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 24, 2017
Germany
Hi, I'm new here, and here's my newbie question about a very new motor:
Do you think this motor will work well on a 24" kids e-bike?
  • very lightweight, which is even more important for kids (500g lighter than the lightest I found so far, CZJB JB-75A with 1.9kg)
  • lower torque isn't critical for 25-35kg riders on a 14kg bike, so I guess uphill overheating should not be much of a problem either
  • noise isn't critical
  • 23 km/h top speed is enough for kids (it's mostly about climbs)
  • resistance and slower reaction can be a problem for kids
I have considered Cute Q100 CST, CZJB JB-75A and Shengyi Dgw12B so far. What do you think?
Thanks! Jens

• Offensive Language
Reactions: atheo
D

Deleted member 4366

I think it would br pretty good for that. Torque isn't an issue with that motor. It's similar to a Q100 at the same current - maybe more.

jens

Nov 24, 2017
Germany
Brilliant, thanks for your quick feedback.
May I ask which controller and display you’d recommend with this motor?
In my German forum, a fellow kids bike builder found this very lightweight battery with 6ah for 200€+tax: http://s.aliexpress.com/3UzmuYfA
I want to give it a try... Saving 400-700g vs. the other motors is a huge plus. I could stay below 3kg for the entire electric drive system.

D

Deleted member 4366

It comes with its own 11A LSW controller and Bigstone display. Order everything from Xiongda because they're very cheap and you'll get full support.

It's a sensorless motor. You could use any other high speed sensorlees controller if you want. The supplied one just has one drawback, which is the one second delay after opening the throttle or pedalling. That's to give the controler time to figure out the correct motor timing.

jens

Nov 24, 2017
Germany
I pre-ordered a (hall-)sensored version of the Xiongda YTW06, which is being built right now and will hopefully be shipped before Christmas.
Now I need to decide about the controller and a lightweight, easy to use interface. Any recommendations for the now sensored motor?

D

Deleted member 4366

I pre-ordered a (hall-)sensored version of the Xiongda YTW06, which is being built right now and will hopefully be shipped before Christmas.
Now I need to decide about the controller and a lightweight, easy to use interface. Any recommendations for the now sensored motor?
I'm jealous. A really good controller is the S06S from BMSbattery or the Sine wave one from Greenbikekit or the 15 amp (14A?) sine wave one from PSWPower. If you need 48v, you can find them on Aliexpress.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

jens

Nov 24, 2017
Germany
Thanks, David! And Bonnie says hello ;) Downside of the new censored version is I'll have to wait until after Christmas...
Thanks for the link, @anotherkiwi - I'll buy that one

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What freewheel are you going to use on that motor?

I have a DNP 11-32 7 speed here for my Mxus and after studying it I think about 1.5 mm can be machined off the stack height. I am looking at the DNP 13-34 8 speed which has a stack height of 38.6 + or - 0.3 mm which I would like to get down to 37.4 mm tops.

jens

Nov 24, 2017
Germany
I was looking at the sunrace 8s 13-32, but it’s very heavy. 650g :(
Still searching, the dnp is hard to find...