Snow and Ice

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I know, I know. Wrong time of year...

Now my old car is off the road. I have committed to riding to work through the winter too. :D

What do other riders do about snow and ice? Do you dare go out in it? Probably not, right? I have never ridden in snow, so I don't know how dangerous it is.

Now, I do have a pretty good boss who allows home working, so I guess I can do that mostly when the bad weather comes but there are equally times when I need to be in the office. What do others do?

I am rural and cannot catch a train or even a bus.

Matt

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
There's quite a few people that do it. There's alot of all weather gear out there for cyclists and motor cyclists.

I'd imagine keeping the extremities warm is your biggest challenge.
It would be worth looking now to see if there are products in markdown you can buy cheaply.

Over boots would be worth while having and making sure that all your wiring is water tight too.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Snow

Hi

Below is a link to our site testimonials Look at the Ken Craig

He lost his license for 6 months so his only form off transport in the snow he wears his full motorcycle leathers and Helmet and boots you cant miss the bike in the snow

The Future is Today!

So YES providing you wear the right KIT

Frank

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
thanks for all this. I get the bit about clothing. Just wondered how bikes perform on ice and snow. Is it just too dangerous? What happens with the motored wheel for e.g., does it wheel spin allot, am I likely to fall off allot?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Its ok, there's a great design. I had them when I was a little younger...

Or attach Snow tires... Or add ski's to your feet for stability and get the motor to pull you along...

fatboytrig

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Thank you so much everyone. I have to say, I find this forum so supportive and friendly and being the newbie I am, I love how you all patiently answer questions that must have been asked so many times before.

I promise to help others wherever I can. I hope that I can pay back some time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks for your appreciation. I think the members here take pride in this being a courteous and helpful forum and enjoy every opportunity to assist. It probably arises from our shared love of e-biking!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I know, I know. Wrong time of year...

Now my old car is off the road. I have committed to riding to work through the winter too. :D

What do other riders do about snow and ice? Do you dare go out in it? Probably not, right? I have never ridden in snow, so I don't know how dangerous it is.

Now, I do have a pretty good boss who allows home working, so I guess I can do that mostly when the bad weather comes but there are equally times when I need to be in the office. What do others do?

I am rural and cannot catch a train or even a bus.

Matt
Riding on a light layer of snow (say less than 3") or hard packed snow is easy enough. A bit slippy at times but you soon get used to the feel. The problems start when, as always seems to happen when it snows down south, the snow melts during the day and freezes at night leaving ice which is no fun. Again if there is a layer of fresh snow on top you can ride it as the snow compacts and sticks to the ice providing traction. Deep snow is another proposition altogether and I think, like sheet ice I would give that a miss. Black ice and the sludge that cars kick to the curb is very slippy and I would avoid riding in that as well unless you have no choice (i.e. if the traffic isn't moving you can't ride in their tyre tracks).

If we ever got more than a couple of weeks of snow in dorset I would consider ice spikers or snow tyres but we don't so I haven't and can't comment.

The one and only time I came off a bike was after 3 days commuting in snow/sludge was on my own street having made it into work (when about a third of car drivers couldn't manage it) and back I made it up an icy hill and was at the crest of a small rise thinking that this was a bad idea, keeping low, feet on the ice, Cyclamatic on slow throttle when the ice changed from the crunchy stuff to glass smooth - bike went one way and I, the other, landing on my arse. No damage done to me or the bike, just a bit of posterior bruising.

As for keeping warm I can highly recommend snowboard wear. It is light weight, wind and water proof and keeps you toasty with the added bonus of zippered vents in strategic places should you need to cool down. Personally I find that if my core is warm, then my feet are warm and hiking shoes do the trick. Hands on the other hand really suffer and fleece lined snowboard mittens with hand warmers were the best thing for me.

(Cyclamatic in the snow here )

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you want winter tyres you need to order them at just the right time. They don't come into stock until October and they will be sold out soon after the first snow or ice appear on the roads.

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
For what its worth....

I approached last winter fairly committed to tough it out come what may.

My route is predominantly rural, with approx 30% of that gritted / snow ploughed.

No problems keeping warm - wrap up and pedal hard

No problems riding carefully on dustings of snow, or patches of ice on straight sections of road.

Problems arose for me when inevitably the following combinations arose -

• Ice, or suspicions of ice on tight bends
  • Snow after cars have created two tracks - fine following them until another car comes, then very difficult getting out of rut to let car past
  • Snow which has been churned up, melted a bit, then refrozen
  • Cars passing at speed throwing salty snow all over side of self & bike

Managed not to fall of or under a car, but two attempts at my long commute convinced me not to ride when there was any significant depth of snow lying on the road surface, so I left the bike at home for a fair while during the snow this year.

Freezing temperatures and ice without snow are another issue - so long as its dry (and it often is when it freezes) I found my route OK and only worried about a couple of corners where I know its nearly always damp.

We are down to 1 car these days (after 25 years of at least 2), but I am seriously considering buying a small cheap car for the winter months - in certain conditions I have concluded 2 wheels are just too stressful and like you we have no reliable public transport.

Good luck whatever you decide

Bob_about

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
We are down to 1 car these days (after 25 years of at least 2), but I am seriously considering buying a small cheap car for the winter months - in certain conditions I have concluded 2 wheels are just too stressful and like you we have no reliable public transport.

Good luck whatever you decide

Bob_about
I am actually seriously considering a trike for winter use. Maybe something inexpensive like a converted one of these:
Tricycle | Tricycles for Adults | Evans Cycles

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I think the Pashley is UK made high Quality Bike

I would fit a 20 inc front hub motor

Aldby Has Stocks of the Ezze kit

Frank:cool:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I am actually seriously considering a trike for winter use. Maybe something inexpensive like a converted one of these:
Tricycle | Tricycles for Adults | Evans Cycles
I usually run out of grip to go forward or stop before I run out of grip to stay upright, you might find that you can't use a tricycle safely when it gets too much for a bike.
Unfortunately winter tyres are designed for different things and a tyre that's good on ice and frost isn't so good in deep snow, a tyre that's good in deep snow isn't nice to ride on normal roads. :(

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I usually run out of grip to go forward or stop before I run out of grip to stay upright, you might find that you can't use a tricycle safely when it gets too much for a bike.
Unfortunately winter tyres are designed for different things and a tyre that's good on ice and frost isn't so good in deep snow, a tyre that's good in deep snow isn't nice to ride on normal roads. :(
Have you got a trike then Mussels? and .. just to clarify .. they're no good in the snow?

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I rode through all the snow last winter and having a front powered hub really helped. I only fell once and that was on my road which I realized too late was just a sheet of ice - it just went from beneath me without any warning. Snow is great fun, slushy stuff is hard due to weaving about on the uneven bits. I also used my powered trike (single read wheel, 2 fronts) and this was excellent provided the snow wasn't too deep. The 20" wheels and low slung frame limit it for that but it does feel like you can do anything and I was power sliding and skidding to a stop at every opportunity.
I did all this on a very knobbly front mountain bike tyre and it was OK but since the ice fall I decided to buy some Marathon winter spike tyres and everywhere was sold out so I got them from Germany at great cost and by the time they arrived all the snow had gone and they were never used so can't comment on how good they are....yet!
As for keeping warm then this is quite difficult when below freezing. I ride a motorbike so used my battery heated gloves. The rest is standard fleece and windproof stuff for cycling. Keep your neck and hands warm, the rest is usually OK.
If you have an off-road route then you'll really enjoy the ride in snow.
I hate the rainy days the most.