So Confused....

Pixie5740

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2014
I bought a Wisper 705 Classic last November from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative and it hasn't worked properly from the get-go. I paid just under £1,800 for the bicycle and since EBC can't fix it I'm asking them for a full refund.

I would still really like an electric bike as I live in Aberdeen (lots of hills) and I think it's the best way of getting about, especially when I have to nip between offices for meetings as parking can be a nightmare and is expensive. I'm just at a bit of a loss as to what electric bicycle to go for. I've been put off Wisper by this experience and don't want to spend more than £1,800. I also like the step-thru, Dutch style frames as I can wear skirts and dresses without flashing my knickers at passers-by.

I was looking at the Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru and would appreciate anyone's opinion on this bicycle or any others they think would be worth having a look at. I'm just at a bit of a loss and don't want to buy another clanger. :oops:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm surprised that you had trouble with the Whisper - They have a good reputation among the owners on here.
Perhaps you have been unlucky. Maybe the dealer is not up to scratch?

Reactions: Pixie5740

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As a male passer-by, I think you should buy any bike so long as it has a cross bar.

Joking aside, Kalkhoffs are well thought of, but that's not to say we haven't had stories on here of them breaking down.

The Bosch system appears about the most reliable of the crank drives.

KTM are pushing their UK range at the minute and should have something on budget.

http://www.electrifyingcycles.co.uk/ktm.html

C

Cyclezee

Hi Pixie,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

My first suggestion would be contact Wisper directly to see if they can resolve the problem.

We would of course be more than happy to supply you with an excellent quality and value replacement stepthru frame bike from Ansmann or eZee.

Pixie5740

Mar 10, 2014
Hi Mike, I had read good things about the Wisper bikes so that why I got one and I think I might have just been unlucky and got a duff one. The dealer hasn't been the best, in fact the mechanic I dealt with was patronising and kept telling me that I hadn't charged the battery. :mad:

Thanks RobF, I'll have a look at that link.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Sorry to hear about your experience.

We sell many brands including KTM and Wisper bikes. We have had another three KTMs arrive recently so have plenty in stock. Regarding the Wisper bikes we have had few problems with them but these should be easily overcome.

In terms of problems we take the same approach whether you are located near or far away and offer a free collection if problems can not be solved remotely.

Also note we are updating our website ready for the launch of a nice new one in the near future :)

Good luck with the search!
David

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I bought a Wisper 705 Classic last November from Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative and it hasn't worked properly from the get-go. I paid just under £1,800 for the bicycle and since EBC can't fix it I'm asking them for a full refund.

I would still really like an electric bike as I live in Aberdeen (lots of hills) and I think it's the best way of getting about, especially when I have to nip between offices for meetings as parking can be a nightmare and is expensive. I'm just at a bit of a loss as to what electric bicycle to go for. I've been put off Wisper by this experience and don't want to spend more than £1,800. I also like the step-thru, Dutch style frames as I can wear skirts and dresses without flashing my knickers at passers-by.

I was looking at the Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru and would appreciate anyone's opinion on this bicycle or any others they think would be worth having a look at. I'm just at a bit of a loss and don't want to buy another clanger. :oops:
The Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru is an excellent bike but then, you don't have to spend that much on a bike if you only need to 'nip between offices'. How many miles do you travel a day at most?

Pixie5740

Mar 10, 2014
The Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru is an excellent bike but then, you don't have to spend that much on a bike if you only need to 'nip between offices'. How many miles do you travel a day at most?
I don't do that many miles at the moment because I live in the city centre, so probably about 30 miles a week. I'm moving further out of town soon though so I estimate my weekly milage to go up to 60+ miles.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
marcin bought last week a step through with Nexus-3 hub gear for £500.
It was a special offer from Silent Force. He did a quick review here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/silent-force-sfg-0103-£500.17065/
For £799, you could get the Woosh Santana CDL, john F bought one.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd
Going up to £1395, you can get the Ezee Spint 8, I rode it last year at Redbridge, loved it:
http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-sprint-8.html
All these bikes do easily the miles, the Santana-CD and the Ezee Sprint 8 climb hills much better. Then you have the Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru, possibly the best value for money in German step-through bikes.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
At your price level the KTM Macina Bold Wave is a very nice bike,the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick has sold a number of them,they all have been 100 per cent reliable and all customers have been pleased with their choice.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Hi Pixie, I am so sorry to hear bout the problem with your Wisper, please would you contact me directly so I can sort out the problem personally.

You can call me directly on 07733226906 or email me at dmiall@me.com. I guaranty we will fix your problems quickly.

Best regards

David Miall
Managing Director

We would of course be more than happy to supply you with an excellent quality and value replacement stepthru frame bike from Ansmann or eZee.
come on John... you know the rules....

Traders, please remember to only step into threads where your brand is specifically mentioned or the OP has opened the thread to all.

Thanks
Russ
the OP didn't ask about your brands, so please don't post your recomendations of the brands you distribute. It starts a trend that others will follow. If every brand did this in every thread it'll spoil the whole forum for everyone.

Reactions: bigroy

Pixie5740

Mar 10, 2014
marcin bought last week a step through with Nexus-3 hub gear for £500.
It was a special offer from Silent Force. He did a quick review here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/silent-force-sfg-0103-£500.17065/
For £799, you could get the Woosh Santana CDL, john F bought one.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd
Going up to £1395, you can get the Ezee Spint 8, I rode it last year at Redbridge, loved it:
http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-sprint-8.html
All these bikes do easily the miles, the Santana-CD and the Ezee Sprint 8 climb hills much better. Then you have the Kalkhoff Agattu i8 HS Step-thru, possibly the best value for money in German step-through bikes.
Thanks for the recommendations Trex. If I can't get the Wisper sorted I'll have a look at them.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
come on John... you know the rules....

the OP didn't ask about your brands, so please don't post your recomendations of the brands you distribute. It starts a trend that others will follow. If every brand did this in every thread it'll spoil the whole forum for everyone.
Russ,if you look at the OP,he said that he was unhappy with his Wisper and was looking at a Kalkhoff or any other bike. This would seem to open the gate for any trader to offer his product.
I am supportive of John(cycle zee) to be in the spirit of the forum in suggesting his bike as an alternative.
I know this forum is your baby but you have to realise that the e-bike market is tough,almost on a daily basis there are e-bike suppliers packing in,you must have some flexibility of rules to keep suppliers and dealers on board.
I pulled my advertising because the traffic from this forum to my website had fallen to almost nil,only 430 clicks in 2 months-I have spoken to others who have also questioned the viability of the site.
I feel I have bought some 'life' into the discussions on the site,my posting on lightweight bikes bought a dynamic posting with a lot of input.
Please note how many traders have stopped making postings on the site,if you carry on with these petty rules there won't be anybody left,a light touch needed not the big stick!
KudosDave

fair reply Dave.... and i see your point.

I think its slightly different for retailers, my concern is with posts from brands / distributors like us.

I just don't think any brand should be recommending themselves under any circumstances. Its so biased its pointless. We're here to answer questions, not jump on every thread and say have you looked at our bike?

If dealers who sell multiple brands want to offer an opinion or recommendation then that seems fair enough. But for a distributor or brand to recommend their own product shouldn't need saying.

Perhaps this should be a separate discussion / thread? To save hijacking this one?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't see anything wrong with traders recommending their bikes in this section of the forum. kudosdave made a valid point, if traders get too few click throughs then they will inevitably stop their financial support, we'll all lose out.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Colin,I am sure that you appreciate that Kudos and Cyclezee are also brands alongside KTM....your posting was somewhat ambiguous.
I have never had a problem with any trader making a suggestion of his own product or another (if you look back in the thread I recommended the KTM Macina Bold Wave).however what happened in the past that one particular trader recommended a 1500 watt monster when the lady wanted a small folder. But that trader has exited the site. I think as long as it's kept relevant it's ok.
KudosDave

Pixie5740

Mar 10, 2014
Hi Pixie, I am so sorry to hear bout the problem with your Wisper, please would you contact me directly so I can sort out the problem personally.

You can call me directly on 07733226906 or email me at dmiall@me.com. I guaranty we will fix your problems quickly.

Best regards

David Miall
Managing Director
I sent you an email David

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Russ,if you look at the OP,he said that he was unhappy with his Wisper and was looking at a Kalkhoff or any other bike. This would seem to open the gate for any trader to offer his product.
I am supportive of John(cycle zee) to be in the spirit of the forum in suggesting his bike as an alternative.
I know this forum is your baby but you have to realise that the e-bike market is tough,almost on a daily basis there are e-bike suppliers packing in,you must have some flexibility of rules to keep suppliers and dealers on board.
I pulled my advertising because the traffic from this forum to my website had fallen to almost nil,only 430 clicks in 2 months-I have spoken to others who have also questioned the viability of the site.
I feel I have bought some 'life' into the discussions on the site,my posting on lightweight bikes bought a dynamic posting with a lot of input.
Please note how many traders have stopped making postings on the site,if you carry on with these petty rules there won't be anybody left,a light touch needed not the big stick!
KudosDave
Dave,

I'm being quoted from another thread not this one. I haven't participated in this thread.

But you are right, the OP did open the discussion out to any bike so as per the rules traders can reply freely.

This the the main sub-forum for trade sales responses, if a member wants opinion just from other members, please use the 'electric bicycles' forum.

Thanks
Russ