Socket for the crank arms?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Testing today in preparation for removal of BB set-up once I get a BBS02 kit, I noticed that a 13mm is too small for the bolt head on the crank arm, but a 14mm has some play in it.

Do the Shimano components use imperial sizes?

Unfortunately, I don't have any imperial size sockets to test this out, and I didn't want to use the 14mm for fear of rounding the bolt head.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are you sure the 13 mm won't fit by tapping it on? I've had this before where the socket was a very tight fit, the next one up being too loose and likely to destroy the nut as you say.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Are you sure the 13 mm won't fit by tapping it on? I've had this before where the socket was a very tight fit, the next one up being too loose and likely to destroy the nut as you say.
No, the 13mm is definitely too small.
I have a feeling it's the style of socket that I'm using, as they are all like this one:

14mm socket.jpg

Maybe sockets with flat sides will fit better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, probably the socket type then as you say, I have some like that with sloppy fits, some also too thick walled to enter the crank opening.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
This style dont normally fit in the crank arms unless the bolt is protruding?

I had to buy a set of
8PC Tubular Spanner Set metric box spanners (search on ebay)

This may not be your problem but they are really useful things to have.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have just had to make an 18mm spanner to get the wheel nuts off my Woosh Gale. 18mm seems to be very rare.

C

Cyclezee

I have just had to make an 18mm spanner to get the wheel nuts off my Woosh Gale. 18mm seems to be very rare.
If anyone else is looking for an 18mm spanner https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=aff-maxthon-newtab&channel=t17&q=18mm spanner#q=18mm spanner&channel=t17&tbm=shop

I have several spanner sets, but my favourite is a combination 'C' and ring set that came from Aldi, decent quality, every size I am ever likely to need and a wall mounted rack that keeps them all neatly in place

D

Deleted member 4366

Normally, you just turn the crank puller the othe way round. It has the correct socket on the other end. Doh!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Normally, you just turn the crank puller the othe way round. It has the correct socket on the other end. Doh!
Not bought a crank puller yet, but that would be handy if it's got the socket on the end. Thanks :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
If anyone else is looking for an 18mm spanner https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=aff-maxthon-newtab&channel=t17&q=18mm spanner#q=18mm spanner&channel=t17&tbm=shop

I have several spanner sets, but my favourite is a combination 'C' and ring set that came from Aldi, decent quality, every size I am ever likely to need and a wall mounted rack that keeps them all neatly in place
When you go to order those Silverline 18mm spanners from many suppliers, you find that they are not available. Anyway, I used my angle grinder on an old spanner, work of a moment.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's a size not commonly used but an internet search should reveal some examples with wildly disparate prices.

When I wanted one for hub nuts on one of my bikes, I hunted through my tool boxes and was astonished that I didn't actually have one although I had Whitworth and AF sizes which were close but imperfect.

I complicated the issue a little by deciding I wanted to dispense with pannier bags on that particular bike, believing I could make do with just a seatpost bag. That meant I required a spanner of such length that it would (1) fit inside the bag and (2) provide sufficient purchase to enable wheel removal for a tube replacement out in the badlands of the home counties.

Just when it seemed I'd need to fabricate something through judicious use of a grinder, I happened across one somewhere on t'internet which suited my requirements perfectly.

Now tried and tested at home just in case I need to do the deed out in the sticks when it's p'ing rain. Needless to say, since I changed to Schwalbe MPs, the occasion hasn't arisen.

Tom

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
My 14mm socket seems to fit crank bolts, but my sockets are six point, not like the twelve point shown. I bought an 18 mm spanner off e bay to fit my e bike wheel nuts, although it was expensive. I also bought a 15 mm spanner, ring one end and open ender the other for pushbike hub nuts. I found that the cheap dumb-bell type combination spanners for bikes always break on hub nuts.Incidentally, I wanted some stainless steel bike hub nuts [15 mm spanner size]. I can`t find any listed anywhere.