Solutions to video camera shake

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Is that the same camera sold by 7dayshop.com? ... small cameras have an advantage I think in that they don't shake about as much and you have more flexibility of course where you can mount it. I'm expecting a replacement MD80 (the other mini-DVR cam sold by 7dayshop) tomorrow, so we can compare notes shortly ;-)
cool .. Yes, thats the one. It came, didn't need charging, worked first time out of the box ... did a little test last night and road it to work this morning. I'll upload the results tonight. I agree, small cameras are the thing. I've got some footage taken with my tiny PSP USB camera attached to my helmet and its pretty good shake wise! ... I may have another go and mount it more carefully. The quality is not very good as I have converted to .swf flash movie format. This is the PSP camera:

DSC00041new.jpg

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Camera shake problem SOLVED

This morning I went out for a ride to try three further tests...

#1 Filming from the bike frame.

I didn't expect this to work too well and the viewing angle was poor anyway. I did it really as a bit of fun and just to see how much camera shake there would be. I used my tripod mounting contraption in a central position on the frame and filmed using my Toshiba Camileo S10. As expected it was pretty bad:

YouTube - Bicycle frame camera mounting contraption

#2 Filming from the chest pocket of an ordinary jacket.

The viewing angle from my hi vis vest chest pocket yesterday was too low so I decided to try an ordinary tight fitting jacket I have which has chest pockets higher up. Here is the result:

Vado #2: Filming from chest pocket

The camera angle was off, as you can see the camera was leaning over to the right and swayed too much. Not the ideal jacket really. However chest pocket filming does seem to provide a more stable image compared to filming bike mounted camera filming.

#3 Filming from the shoulder using velcro holder.

DBCohen's comments got me thinking a police-style shoulder mount might be the way to go, since filming from the chest pocket proved the most stable so far. This is taking it a stage further. Using this type of mount would provide a more stable higher and forward facing viewing angle

I made a simple holder by wrapping velcro around the camera and used double-sided sticky tape to stick some strips of velcro to my hi vis vest. Using sticky tape was a tad risky and I did worry it might fall off, but I just wanted to test the concept. Here is the result:

And here is the video footage...

Vado #3: Shooting from the shoulder

The video is very good! Camera shake has been reduced to a minimum. Probably as good as it gets on the Vado HD I filmed with, bearing in mind it has no anti-shake feature. I think this solution works for me. There are several advantages to wearing the camera like this.. Firstly the camera is close to eye-level. Secondly the internal mic is close to the mouth, or it's not far to run an external mic onto the collar. It's also very convenient to stop and start filming, and you don't need to worry about removing camera from bike. And lastly, you can also film while you walk hands-free. Getting the viewing angle right can be tricky though, too low and you end up getting the road, and too high and you will get your chin in the shot! Finding the right balance is a case of trial and error I guess.

Note: Videos are uploading still, check back later!

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Ok. These are my attempts from this morning. This is the CAR VDR mounted on the tribar for the first part of my commute:
YouTube - SUNP00021

I would recommend muting the audio because its annoying!

This is my PSP rear view camera taking footage of the same thing:
YouTube - PSP RE-VIEW

Again you may want to mute the audio. Although it is much better than the CAR VDR - but its still unpleasant!

The rear view footage is interestingly nice and smooth and very watchable don't you think?

I'll check out your vids now ...

I used the CAR VDR on the way home as well and have some pretty good footage. I'll upload a little later ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Uploads taking aaaages

:rolleyes:

Sorry still uploading the last one...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Ok. These are my attempts from this morning. This is the CAR VDR mounted on the tribar for the first part of my commute:
YouTube - SUNP00021

I would recommend muting the audio because its annoying!

This is my PSP rear view camera taking footage of the same thing:
YouTube - PSP RE-VIEW

Again you may want to mute the audio. Although it is much better than the CAR VDR - but its still unpleasant!

The rear view footage is interestingly nice and smooth and very watchable don't you think?

I'll check out your vids now ...

I used the CAR VDR on the way home as well and have some pretty good footage. I'll upload a little later ...
I'm impressed by your videos! Both are certainly watchable, as you say the second rear cam footage is smoother, but the first is not too bad at all, some vibration is there, but no major jumpy picture like on my footage.

I think what we have learned so far is that tiny cameras work much better for mounting on bikes, and handheld cameras are better worn on the shoulder or chest.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
And here is the video footage...

YouTube - shoulder

The video is very good!
Well, you've gorn and upset someone at YouTube, as they've removed your video as it is 'too long'. How long was it? Or was it just wrong format? I was looking forward to it!

Allen.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Well, you've gorn and upset someone at YouTube, as they've removed your video as it is 'too long'. How long was it? Or was it just wrong format? I was looking forward to it!

Allen.
How annoying! It was like 30 seconds too long and it took 3+ hours to upload (470mb). Should of checked.... ah well, I've trimmed it now and reuploaded overnight so here it is.. YouTube - Vado #3: Camera on shoulder

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You've cracked it!

Morphix , you've cracked it! ... That IS excellent. Perhaps you can move to the audio thread and sort out the audio as well and remove the wind noise. The audio actually didn't seem too bad in the sheltered areas . Liked your attempts to tailgate the bus. I like doing that. My tip? Get closer! ..:)
And did you manage to catch up to the cyclist? - Perhaps theres a sequel?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
CAR DVR - Shooting from a TRIBAR

YouTube - CAR VDR TEST-02

I dont think this is quite as good as Morphix's shooting from the shoulder but its not bad. As long as the footage is watchable and doesn't cause sickness or epilepsy then I think it should be considered a success.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
As we are trying different devices and others may join in with their experiences should we have a Camera review thread so that we can see a list of the devices like that bike reviews thread. Can we/should we create one of these?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Morphix , you've cracked it! ... That IS excellent. Perhaps you can move to the audio thread and sort out the audio as well and remove the wind noise. The audio actually didn't seem too bad in the sheltered areas . Liked your attempts to tailgate the bus. I like doing that. My tip? Get closer! ..:)
And did you manage to catch up to the cyclist? - Perhaps theres a sequel?
:D Thanks, it did come out quite steady didn't it. I noticed watching it again that the video is a little washed out. I think I accidentally put the white balance up. That's a problem on this Vado HD camera. It has these annoying touch sensitive controls on the back for zoom and brightness, really easy to brush them before you start recording. I shot that video in "HD" mode which is not quite as good as the HD+ mode, I thought it would reduce file size being a longer test, but still came out nearly 500Mb :rolleyes:

Yes the audio is not too bad at all, there was a strong headwind yesterday when I was filming which didn't help, but I think in normal conditions the camera would do ok.

I love chasing the buses and trying to keep up with them. I do most of my test videos on the bus route lane as it's safer to keep stopping and starting and don't have to keep looking behind. That cyclist was on steroids or super fit because as hard as I tried, even with full power, I couldn't catch him up! Did you see him take that hill?! That's a fairly steep hill too. My battery was struggling a bit though as it was down to 1 bar which is unusual, normally it cuts out on 2 bars.. the battery cut out literally right outside my flat building, how often does that happen?!

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
YouTube - CAR VDR TEST-02

As long as the footage is watchable and doesn't cause sickness or epilepsy then I think it should be considered a success.
Hehe I totally agree. I don't think we'll ever get completely smooth videos on two wheels.. but as you say, providing it doesn't give you nausea watching it, it's considered a success.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
As we are trying different devices and others may join in with their experiences should we have a Camera review thread so that we can see a list of the devices like that bike reviews thread. Can we/should we create one of these?
Splendid idea. Would you like to do the honours and start the thread? I'd be happy to post some reviews of my cameras and best test footage clips.. I think the thread would be useful to anyone thinking of getting a camera for filming their ebike rides..can be very confusing choosing with so many different cameras available. At least we can show what works for those on a budget.

I'm going to order a Panasonic HD-TA1 (they are £50 free delivery on Amazon) to compare it with the Vado HD as it has an external mic and the added benefit of the anti-shake EIS feature..let's see if it has the edge on the Vado!

I'm hoping my MD80 mini cam will arrive today so I can test that and compare bike mounting filming to your successful videos, but the weather doesn't look very promising.

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Morphix I like your latest video with the Vado #3: Shooting from the shoulder, much reduced shake.
I have just finished uploading a sort test video to Youtube. I know this is not exactly a cycling video (there is a cyclist in the clip), but I thought you might like to see the comparison between a cheap Chinese HD 720P key ring camera, and the Panasonic HM-TA1 HD 1080P pocket camera.
I have the cameras attached to my back pack shoulder straps, in a similar position to the morphix Vado #3. They seem quite firm but as you can see in the vids any movement when walking shows up. Hope I can get out on the bikes soon as my back is getting slightly better, but I am not risking further injury by cycling on the rough roads.
The videos have been edited and recompiled. And yes, with the original media there is a noticeable difference in the colour variation especially with the key ring camera (red tinting). Lighting was bright scattered sun light. Sound, there was quite a gusty wind blowing which can be heard with both cameras. So some kind of sound proofing will be needed on the bike; I have some thin grey foam to stick in front of the mic to see if that will work.

YouTube - Camera comparison #11 HD keyring cam vs HM-TA-1

If you can, look at the video at HD 720P resolution. Unfortunately the quality of the video is not as good on Youtube as it is with the raw material.
I am Just working on different mounting arrangements to use on my bikes. Like Alan (kitchenman) a forward and backward view can be interesting to experiment with. And may be different angles and heights. I have a couple of the HD key ring cameras to play with.

Chris

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Would you like to do the honours and start the thread?
Yes. Sure. How do I create a sub-forum? Do I need to contact the forum administrator or can I just create one?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I am Just working on different mounting arrangements to use on my bikes.

Chris
Nice work Chris. I think you'll find the rear view will be much nicer to watch. Sometimes when I've had an interesting ride home I will watch my ride home while I'm getting cleaned up. Thats one advantage of using a PSP i.e .you can watch it straight away without copying to a pc etc... Regarding a front mount I need to have the camera mounted on the handle bar or my tribar extension so I need to find a device or a device/mount that has the least shake. Although I may also use a body mount i.e have 2 frontview cams! The issue I have with a body mount is that it moves!
Look foward to your test results.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Morphix I like your latest video with the Vado #3: Shooting from the shoulder, much reduced shake.
I have just finished uploading a sort test video to Youtube. I know this is not exactly a cycling video (there is a cyclist in the clip), but I thought you might like to see the comparison between a cheap Chinese HD 720P key ring camera, and the Panasonic HM-TA1 HD 1080P pocket camera.
I have the cameras attached to my back pack shoulder straps, in a similar position to the morphix Vado #3. They seem quite firm but as you can see in the vids any movement when walking shows up. Hope I can get out on the bikes soon as my back is getting slightly better, but I am not risking further injury by cycling on the rough roads.
The videos have been edited and recompiled. And yes, with the original media there is a noticeable difference in the colour variation especially with the key ring camera (red tinting). Lighting was bright scattered sun light. Sound, there was quite a gusty wind blowing which can be heard with both cameras. So some kind of sound proofing will be needed on the bike; I have some thin grey foam to stick in front of the mic to see if that will work.

YouTube - Camera comparison #11 HD keyring cam vs HM-TA-1

If you can, look at the video at HD 720P resolution. Unfortunately the quality of the video is not as good on Youtube as it is with the raw material.
I am Just working on different mounting arrangements to use on my bikes. Like Alan (kitchenman) a forward and backward view can be interesting to experiment with. And may be different angles and heights. I have a couple of the HD key ring cameras to play with.

Chris
Cool video Chris, thanks for sharing. I'm always interested to see the output from different cameras. I like how you did the little intro I wish mine looked so good :)

The little keyring cam doesn't do a bad job does it for such a tiny cam..resolution and detail looks sharp also the audio pick up is nice and clear too. The Panasonic has very nice video quality indeed.

I would be interested to see how you get on with those keyring cams on your bike..should get some reasonably steady footage with them being so small if you can mount them up securely. I was thinking along the same lines as yourself for the wind shielding over the mic, some of that grey packaging foam used on PC components might do the trick.

Paul

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I created a thread in the charging post asking how to do it! as I cant see how it can be done ..

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I created a thread in the charging post asking how to do it! as I cant see how it can be done ..
Ah sorry I misread, I didn't realise you wanted to create a new sub-forum! I thought you meant just a new thread :eek:

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Todays testing

Mounted the CAR DVR for a rear view and my PSP USB cam on the front. Results are as I thought. The CAR DVR is excellent and the PSP is very good. I will upload the evidence this evening. These results show that having a light cam on the front is the way to go. I'll weigh the cams but I know that the PSP USB cam is much lighter than the CAR DVR.
Will ensure that Weight is part of the new sub forum template , along with Shake. (can you think of anything else? ) So for example we would in the case of the PSP CAM have the following:

Product: PSP CAM/CABLE
Price: £40.00
Mount Location: Tribar
Mount brakets: Velcro straps
Review:A very light weight device. Good quality images.
Utube Ref:
Photo:DSC00115_RESIZED.jpg
Weight: 1g
Shake: Very Good
HD: No
File Type: AVI
File Dimensions:480 * 272
File Bit rate: 352 kbps
Conversion needed before upload to UTUBE? Yes