Some advice from you experts please!

mersey_lady

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2015
West Lancs
I am thinking of purchasing an electric bike for my commute to work and would appreciate some advice from you helpful and informed types.

I work 3 days about 2 miles from my home and 2 days about 6 miles from home. On the local days I often walk to work but I am not as keen on walking home again as there is a very large hill, which is fine walking down but a bit of a strain walking back up!

I'd like to get a little bit of exercise but don't want to arrive at work all red in the face and sweaty.

So which electric bike would you recommend. It has to cope with the hill, it would be great if I could put a child seat on the back (not a baby, a five year old) for the odd occasion where I was picking her up from school and we both didn't want to walk up the hill pushing the bike! I prefer the bikes which look like traditional vintage style bikes and are step through. Also I am usually carrying my laptop, maybe some paperwork and it would probably be useful if I can pick up a few bits from the shop while I'm out. I would like something that feels like a quality product and solid but not too heavy. Under £1000.00 if possible to be eligible for cycle to work scheme.

Also any information on how long the battery might last before I need to replace it as I see they can be very expensive.

Is this wish list too long? Are there any suitable models out there that meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are some suitable e-bikes with powerful hill climbing to match your need and the following are in your budget, from sound companies and having the higher powered motors. I don't know your height so please let us know if you are of shorter than average stature to ensure all these will fit:

The eZee Sprint Primo step-through. This one has the advantage of the battery not being in the carrier, enabling the child seat to be a bit lower and more stable. Having the battery low down behind the seat post does make the bike slightly longer, but I've never found that a disadvantage.

The Woosh Sunbear. This has the carrier battery, but not too high and it makes the bike shorter.

The Woosh Big bear LS step-through. Again with a carrier battery.

The Woosh Santana CD, also with carrier battery.

The first three have very powerful front wheel hub motors, the last one has a central motor driving through the bike chain and gears.

They will all do the job for you and are similarly priced, so it's mostly a matter of choosing the style you prefer. If you do get a chance with a local dealer, try out any hub motor and central motor e-bikes to see if you have any preference in the way they work.

The batteries usually last for about three years these days, but could last rather longer with your low mileages.

Last edited:
Reactions: freddofrog

mersey_lady

May 3, 2015
West Lancs
Thank you for your speedy reply, lots to think about. The Whoosh Big Bear seems to be the most practical, but not exactly a beauty! Ho hum, cant have everything.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you are not too heavy and of average height (5ft 4 to 5ft 10), the Santana is a good choice for fitting a child seat on the rear, up to 25kgs (child + seat).
It has been recently updated to have a King Meter LCD and 15AH controller, will cope well with up to 10% gradient.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sant-ana

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
If your child is already five then you may be better thinking of a trailer bike than a child seat. Child seats are really best for the under fives, after that the child gets too large and heavy. The trailer bike also gives them some exercise.
Advice on child seats here http://www.ctc.org.uk/guide/guide-to-child-bike-seats?page=show

And on trailer bikes here http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/bikes-and-other-cycles/configuration/trailer-cycle

We used to have one of the Isla bikes trailer bikes which was brilliant. Unfortunately not made any longer, but you may find a used one. http://www.hembrow.eu/personal/trailerbikes.html

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the OP's budget is under £1,000.
The Tasman Classic Impulse 8 costs £2195.
The woosh Santana costs £659

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
the OP's budget is under £1,000.
The Tasman Classic Impulse 8 costs £2195.
The woosh Santana costs £659
The OP's budget is 'under £1,000 if possible'.

Not everything in life is possible, as I'm sure you know.

Nor would she be the first person to set out with a budget of about £1,000 and then spend a lot more.

I did when I bought my Rose.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Nor would she be the first person to set out with a budget of about £1,000 and then spend a lot more.

Include me too, never let the price get in the way of what you want.

Reactions: SteveRuss and trex

mersey_lady

May 3, 2015
West Lancs
Well, thank you all for taking the time to reply!

4bound, thank you and I agree, with a bit more research, I can see that a child seat is not going to be suitable and I might well get a trailer for days out at the weekend but not a suitable solution to the picking her up on the way home from work conundrum. I guess we will just have to walk up the hill (it's not a massive hill really, I'll just have to get a bit fitter!). Can the throttle be used (on its lowest setting?) to propel the bike while you are pushing it? As the bikes are quite heavy and some days I struggle just to get me up the hill, never mind a bike as well!

RobF, I agree that the Tasman is a gorgeous looking bike but a bit too pricey as I am new to e bikes!

Thanks, trex, the Santana looks like a good option.

Perhaps I will get hooked and get the rest of the family hooked and then the eldest could take the Santana to Uni with her and I could justify the Tasman!

Is it possible too test ride the Woosh bikes. I have a Juicy bikes stockist locally where I could test ride, are they any good?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
[
Is it possible too test ride the Woosh bikes. I have a Juicy bikes stockist locally where I could test ride, are they any good?[/quote]

J and I have Juicy Classic bikes, now 4 or 5 years old, which have proved reliable. They go up our local hills quite well, have throttles which assist taking off without wobbles at road junctions and traffic lights (and at walking speeds). If you're not too far from Warrington you're welcome to try, but the Juicy Bike shops in Buxton or Stockport (still there, Bob?) are worth a visit.
Tom
PS - it's a good idea to test ride as many bikes as possible - may help you decide the ideal bike for you!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
. Can the throttle be used (on its lowest setting?) to propel the bike while you are pushing it? As the bikes are quite heavy and some days I struggle just to get me up the hill, never mind a bike as well!

The Big Bear has a walk assist setting. You just keep a button pressed as you walk alongside.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
[
Is it possible too test ride the Woosh bikes. I have a Juicy bikes stockist locally where I could test ride, are they any good?
J and I have Juicy Classic bikes, now 4 or 5 years old, which have proved reliable. They go up our local hills quite well, have throttles which assist taking off without wobbles at road junctions and traffic lights (and at walking speeds). If you're not too far from Warrington you're welcome to try, but the Juicy Bike shops in Buxton or Stockport (still there, Bob?) are worth a visit.
Tom
PS - it's a good idea to test ride as many bikes as possible - may help you decide the ideal bike for you![/quote]
Yes Tom, still here!
Agree totally a test ride is absolutely imperative, if only to reassure the retailer you've chosen the right bike.
Our own shops in Buxton and New Mills are open most days and we have shops across the country. Please see our website for how each bike can be configured and where you can try (hope you can come over to the Peak District for a decent test on some proper hills).

Reactions: timidtom

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk

I kind of did the same in my mind. I nearly bought a used Giant for £450. Got me thinking about what I actually wanted and why I was drawn to an e-bike. Although I paid my £1100 for my Kalkhoff from the used market place, I was on the verge of actually paying nearly twice that for a new one.

That's Tasman classic is one lush looking bike as well..

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
It sounds to me as if you need a bike with a proper walk assist facility. This allows the bike to be propelled using the motor at walking pace whilst you walk along side. I know the Kalkoff Tasman has one and the Ezee can be set so that the throttle will only propel the bike at walking pace. If you are walking your 5 year old home the last thing you want is to be trimming a conventional throttle rather than keeping an eye on your little one.

Electric bikes are heavy, in fact around 25 Kg with battery. That is double an average conventional cycle. Another reason for a proper walk assist !

Last edited: