Some polling statistics

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
As many of you have participated in the small polls we are running on the site, I thought it was time to provide some results to date:

Q. Do you own an electric bike?

Of the 250 people polled, 56% currently own a bike and 40% are considering purchasing one.

Q. What is your electric bike budget? How much would you pay?

We've had 73 responses so far and there is quite a split in the prices people are prepared to pay.

The highest percentage answer is 22% who would be prepared to pay between £1000 and £1,500. £750 is an interesting price point as 50% would be prepared to pay less and the other 50% more so maybe this is the sweet spot.

0 - 250 (£) (11%)
251 - 400 (£) (10%)
401 - 600 (£) (15%)
601 - 750 (£) (14%)
751 - 999 (£) (16%)
1000 - 1500 (£) (22%)
1500+ (£) (12%)

Q. How many miles a week do you do ?

We've only had 41 responses so far and the highest percentage is 41% ride between 21 and 50 miles a week. Interestingly many of you do much more which goes to reinforce the existing statistic out there that people use their electric bikes more than regular cycles.

< 10 miles (10%)
11-20 miles (10%)
21-50 miles (41%)
51-100 miles (27%)
101+ miles !!! (12%)

Q. Should the UK regulations be changed ?

A massive 86% of you feel that the current legislation is too restrictive. 62% want the power to increase to 400% and 24% want it to be unlimited (you speed demons!)

No, they are fine as they are (14%)
Yes, allowing motor power up to 400W (62%)
Yes, unlimited (24%)

Q. When are you looking to purchase an electric bike?

The results for this poll should be taken in the context of the time the poll was taken rather than from a specific point in time. So it looks like the over 2/3rd of you are looking to buy in the next few months. Interestingly 9% have no plans to buy so it would be good to hear what their objectives are.

I'm looking to purchase:
In the next month (44%)
In the next 3 months (26%)
In the next 6 months (12%)
In 2007 (9%)
No plans currently (9%)

Q. Has Pedelecs UK help you choose an electric bike?

Thankfully most you feel that site has been valuable in your decisions! For those that feel we haven't, it would be great to know why so we can improve the site further.

Yes (63%)
No (17%)
Still deciding! (20%)

So, there are the results so far. If you haven't taken part, please do as when we reach significant numbers of responses (~1000+) this really becomes very useful information. Note that no personal information is recorded.

Any thoughts/opinions most welcome!

mabsey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2007
You asked about the 9% with no plans currently. Well before I took the poll I had £1500 burning a hole in my pocket and I came here to read reviews, look and other users experinces etc and to be fair, the more I read, the more it actually made me realise the bike I want isn't out there yet. You've seen my thread about frame sizes and this is a big big factor as I dont want to look like I'm riding a BMW and 17inch frames are just too small. Yes I could get a dutch bike but they dont have the features I want, so I am now sitting on the fence with no plans currently until something comes along and changes my mind.

Mabsey

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As well as Mabsey's suggestion, I think current owners will also have taken part in that poll, since it could be interpreted as "next" purchase a bike as well, not just as first time. That's probably at least some of the 9%.