Some you win ...

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
As I may have mentioned a time or ten we've owned, and been happy with, two Juicy Bikes classics. We have had great satisfaction and wonderful service from both the bikes and the firm. When J became a little too wobbly to feel safe on two wheels we bought her trike from the same source. It's good and we're both still on wheels. My spare bike has been a Brompton and it served me well until quite recently. However, Father Time reminded me I'd be better with a little electrical assistance. I searched around - sadly Juicy don't sell a folder quite small enough to fit the car when it's loaded with the trike, the camping gear and all the rest of the clobber. So, research time. We found a folding ebike which appeared to suit my needs, from a firm who seem to serve their customers well. So, folder ordered, paid for (after a chat with the proprietor who agreed it was just what I needed.)
Bike delivered, very well packed, very attractive little machine. With one very major draw-back. One of the wheels did not go round. The brake, one of a type I'm unfamiliar with, was firmly locked on. There was no available adjustment possible, either at the lever or the brake. I requested help. I've sent three messages on the firm's 'help line' - asking at the same time for help and advice with luggage and rear-view mirrors. Sadly, no such help has been forthcoming. Reading the firm's Conditions of Sale, it appears that I, as the customer, am responsible for the PDI (Pre, or in this case, post delivery inspection.) Odd, I thought. A bike should enhance the mobility of the buyer. I contacted local bike shops who, hearing it was an ebike, refused to touch it.
Finally I found a cycle shop, miles from home, who fixed the wheel in moments. I have a bike which, several weeks after delivery, I can ride. It doesn't have mirrors or luggage but it does have rotating wheels.
I'm still left with a nasty taste in my mouth, and a worry about what happens if/when something else goes wrong. I have persevered with this machine, and I'm not going to name the firm which has so disappointed me. I hope that this will be part of a learning curve for them, and to use a well worn phrase, lessons will be learned - together with a study of another phrase - 'fit for purpose.' I'm not amused.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And now you are regretting that you didn't mount a quality conversion kit on the Brompton... I would give an arm and a leg to have a Brompton, converted or to be converted...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Well I'm sorry to hear that Tom.

Even though you had to go elsewhere to find the right size bike, rather than a Juicy, you still deserve a better experience than that. It's also extremely decent of you not to mention the name of the company involved, though I'm not so sure it's in that company's best interests not to know where they could improve. I know that we would want to know!
Pleased all is good now.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Well I'm sorry to hear that Tom.

Even though you had to go elsewhere to find the right size bike, rather than a Juicy, you still deserve a better experience than that. It's also extremely decent of you not to mention the name of the company involved, though I'm not so sure it's in that company's best interests not to know where they could improve. I know that we would want to know!
Pleased all is good now.

Thanks Bob: the company concerned is aware of my opinions.
PS - if you have plans for a micro-packaged tandem etrike do let us know!
Best wishes,
Tom

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Darn it! We're still working on those electric stilts.

Last edited:
Reactions: timidtom

cookie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2016
rubbish companies should be named & shamed for the benefit of all members

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I'm all for transparency but only for a constructive outcome. If the company concerned has learned something from the feedback then so much the better.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this incident was entirely my fault and my apologies to Tom.
Tom left his messages on the Woosh contact web page on Good Friday. The day before, Thursday, Google notified me by email that my app that uses their servers to forward web messages to Andy's mailbox needs a new security setting. His messages were left on the server. I fixed the code after the Easter weekend but only retrieved Tom's messages 3 days later. With hindsight, I should have fixed the code there and then, when Google servers could no longer be used.
Yes, I learned a valuable lesson, the forwarding of web messages is now improved with belt and braces to avoid future repetitions.

Tony