Something small for the London Overground

tampano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2017
London
Hi everyone, with my new job I have to do a weird commuting bus+train+bus. It's not completely bad but the two bus bits can be a huge waste of time.

The distance from home to the Overground station is around 3km, then the distance from the arriving station to the office is around 4km.

I have a full size Volt Savile but I cannot bring it on the Overground in peak time.

So I was looking for something foldable and cheap, not necessarily the greatest foldable ebike on earth, as I really need it for two short bits. I'm also very curious about the e-scooter option.

What would you suggest?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's in the UK, e-scooters are not legal so best avoided.

For a folding bike over those short distances I'd consider an unassisted one if it's not hilly. Folding e-bikes can be uncomfortably heavy to fold and carry.

Reactions: Ocsid

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Really the same point as "flecc", why for such two short journeys and the train transporting issue, are you thinking an ebike? To my thinking this is a basic Brompton task at which it excels and probably for no more money, less if an ebay or like offering.

Reactions: flecc

tampano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2017
London
Thanks to everyone for the answers.

In short:
  • I'm thinking electric because I REALLY sweat under physical activity
  • I don't have a budget in mind but for the little use I'd make I wasn't even dreaming of the insane ranges of a Brompton electric :) let's say something under £1000 (and it's already a lot)
  • I'm still fascinated by the scooter idea and I really can't understand the ancient law here in UK (though I see A LOT of them around, scooters and e-wheels)
Thanks again and keep shooting ideas if you have any

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Thanks to everyone for the answers.

In short:
  • I'm thinking electric because I REALLY sweat under physical activity
  • I don't have a budget in mind but for the little use I'd make I wasn't even dreaming of the insane ranges of a Brompton electric :) let's say something under £1000 (and it's already a lot)
  • I'm still fascinated by the scooter idea and I really can't understand the ancient law here in UK (though I see A LOT of them around, scooters and e-wheels)
Thanks again and keep shooting ideas if you have any
Nor was I in suggesting a Brompton thinking the electric version.
I actually don't follow their thinking of going electric either, goes counter to its portability the only real reason for the bike, IMO. Maybe they see a cash rich, must have owner, type of market and feel it is worth taking their spare cash?
Good usable ones change hands on ebay for 50 to 60% of the retail price, and they are pretty durable things and what wears is repairable.
Don't underestimate that the whole lugging of a folding electric bike with all the weight that electrification adds, onto and off a train etc, is in itself "physical activity". The more so with the likely weight of a budget, as opposed to high spec model of electric folder.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • I'm still fascinated by the scooter idea and I really can't understand the ancient law here in UK
It applies throughout much of Europe.

The distinction is simple. A pedelec is a bicycle with some limited motor assistance, so it can enjoy the same bureaucracy free existence as an unpowered bicycle.

A powered scooter is a motor vehicle in law, not dependent on assisting a rider. That means it has to have a permitted motor vehicle class to be on the roads which it doesn't have and it's automatically banned from pavements anyway.

Think about it, no brakes, no seat, no way of giving hand signals, not very visible, extremely vulnerable. A great way of increasing deaths and injuries on the roads. Segways and the like are banned for the same reasons.

Reactions: Ocsid

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
The GoCycle GS is 16.5kg, reasonably light for an ebike, the Montague Boston ZE is even lighter at 13.6kg albeit a single speed though your short distance would mean the small 156wh battery wouldn't matter. For a less expensive option consider adding a lightweight kit wheel & bottle battery like the Cytronex C1 (3.6kg) on a folding bike that has a front hub width at least 100mm.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've never heard the Cytronex mentioned as 'less expensive' before, it was around £1000 just for the kit last time I saw. The Woosh Gallego (18KG, £769, if it is available at all at the moment) is what I would call 'less expensive'.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I've never heard the Cytronex mentioned as 'less expensive' before, it was around £1000 just for the kit last time I saw. The Woosh Gallego (18KG, £769, if it is available at all at the moment) is what I would call 'less expensive'.
I like the trolley wheels on the Gallego, useful for wheeling it along a platform.

Sanjuro

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2018
Escooters are becoming more popular, everyday I see them being ridden around. How about the kudos secret, for £800? I must admit, I like the look of the seago.