spare BBS02 casing?

saulcoz

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2024
Hi,

anyone got any idea where I might get a replacement case for my BBS02? I managed to strip out the threads for the 2 M6 bolts for the fixing plate.

I'm kinda hoping that someone, somewhere has a motor with a dead core or controller that isn't worth saving that I could salvage the casing from.

thanks

Saul

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

could try them as a uk dealer

Reactions: saulcoz

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi,

anyone got any idea where I might get a replacement case for my BBS02? I managed to strip out the threads for the 2 M6 bolts for the fixing plate.

I'm kinda hoping that someone, somewhere has a motor with a dead core or controller that isn't worth saving that I could salvage the casing from.

thanks

Saul
Get some screws with hexagon heads, not set screws. File them down on one side to clear the case, and put them through from the back. Use a bit of hotmelt or epoxy to keep them in place while you assemble the motor, then fix the plate with spring washers and nuts. The files edge should stop the screw from turning when you tighten it. If it doesn't, hacksaw a slot in the end so you can stop it from turning with a screwdriver while you tighten the nuts.
M4,M5,M6,M8 HEXAGON HEAD FULLY THREADED SET SCREWS A2 STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS | eBay

Voltsnamps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2023
Get some screws with hexagon heads, not set screws. File them down on one side to clear the case, and put them through from the back. Use a bit of hotmelt or epoxy to keep them in place while you assemble the motor, then fix the plate with spring washers and nuts. The files edge should stop the screw from turning when you tighten it. If it doesn't, hacksaw a slot in the end so you can stop it from turning with a screwdriver while you tighten the nuts.
M4,M5,M6,M8 HEXAGON HEAD FULLY THREADED SET SCREWS A2 STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS | eBay
That is seriously creative thinking
BUT, why wouldn’t you just heli-coil it .?
permanent and better than new, cheaper than chips too

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are the threads completely stripped or partly? Through fitting error, I partly stripped those threads on my BBS01B case, about a third to a half (conical wear shape), but red threadlocker has kept the bolts on for over three years and thousands of kilometers. Bafang bolt sets are available for purchase, so I used new bolts. They're blind holes, had to clean them out as thoroughly as possible of small metal shards and grease, before applying the red thread megaglue. Just checked them, still stuck on tight.

That's possibly Plan B, if the bolts don't remain stuck on tight. Must say, I'm quite impressed with the robust glueing power of red threadlock megagunge.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That is seriously creative thinking
There might not be enough material around the hole to helicoil it, plus, the larger diameter hole from O/D of the helicoil would weaken it.

Reactions: guerney

Voltsnamps

Aug 27, 2023
There might not be enough material around the hole to helicoil it, plus, the larger diameter hole from O/D of the helicoil would weaken it.
Might not .?
The room around the thread could be described such
Like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That was my concern, it's pretty thin already. Thank goodness for red threadlocker.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Might not .?
The room around the thread could be described such
Like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall
The hole was an M5 thread, now stripped, so 5mm dia. The lug is about 10mm, which gives 2.5mm wall thickness as it stands. The outside diameter of an M5 helicoil is 6.5mm, That would leave a worst case wall thickness of 1.75mm. Those two lugs resist the whole torque of the motor at a radius of about 45mm. The force must be pretty big.

To fit a helicoil, you have to buy the helicoil and the special tap and the drill to go with it, then get the tool from somewhere. Next, you have to drill and tap the hole, then screw in the helicoil. All that is quite expensive £11 as a kit on Ebay. My method costs nothing if you already have the screws, and less than a quid if you don't, and you don't need any special tools.

Reactions: Tony1951

saulcoz

Just Joined
Apr 28, 2024
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should be a bit more specific...

When I said the threads were stripped, I should've said that the bolts sheared off when removing them. When I tried to extract/drill them the entire lugs broke off. So Helicoil wasn't an option :-(

I have ground the lugs off completely and 3D printed a plastic piece that goes around the motor casing and locks into the (fake) cooling fins. I don't think this is adequate and my options seem to be:
  • remake my plastic piece in steel
  • drill holes in the case and fit some hex studs from the inside
  • get a replacement case
Any other ideas (that don't require rethreading the lugs) appreciated.

Voltsnamps

Aug 27, 2023
The hole was an M5 thread, now stripped, so 5mm dia. The lug is about 10mm, which gives 2.5mm wall thickness as it stands. The outside diameter of an M5 helicoil is 6.5mm, That would leave a worst case wall thickness of 1.75mm. Those two lugs resist the whole torque of the motor at a radius of about 45mm. The force must be pretty big.

To fit a helicoil, you have to buy the helicoil and the special tap and the drill to go with it, then get the tool from somewhere. Next, you have to drill and tap the hole, then screw in the helicoil. All that is quite expensive £11 as a kit on Ebay. My method costs nothing if you already have the screws, and less than a quid if you don't, and you don't need any special tools.
Maybe an early BBS02 ?
OP didn’t tell us, but if yours are M5, thats not the same as mine, which are M6 (6mm x 1mm pitch)
Easily heli-coiled although lower one is blind, so I’d have to take cover off to see if your method would work there.
But if OP’s are M5, tap ‘em M6, job’s done

Re price, if a tenner meant not eating or not being able to afford the lectric to charge your ebike to get to work, fair enough, otherwise it’s about a pint and a half (London) you have to forgo as punishment for stripping threads. Very mild considering the crime.

Re red Loctite. When it comes to motor removal, the perceived benefits may be lost.
Tip, narrow flame on torch, directly centre of cap head, cherry red BEFORE you try to loosen

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe an early BBS02 ?
OP didn’t tell us, but if yours are M5, thats not the same as mine, which are M6 (6mm x 1mm pitch)
Easily heli-coiled although lower one is blind, so I’d have to take cover off to see if your method would work there.
But if OP’s are M5, tap ‘em M6, job’s done
It's been over three years therefore my memory is a little hazy, but I recall there only being about 5mm or perhaps less of metal around those holes on my BBS01B motor casing (guesstimate, I didn't measure). Hence my reluctance to drill and fit a helicoil - that thread is so old, I can't find the discussion. Someone mentioned a helicoil then, but I can't remember who.

Re red Loctite. When it comes to motor removal, the perceived benefits may be lost.
Tip, narrow flame on torch, directly centre of cap head, cherry red BEFORE you try to loosen
I don't think the BBS01B motor ever needs to be removed from my most excellent conversion, but thank you for the tip! I was going to stick a centerpunch into the hex bolt head and hammer the red Loctite, to loosen it's locking so tightly, or something... but expansion using heat and contraction through cold is always worth a go. Acetone dissolves red loctite, I think (deffo dissolves superglue) - of course it also strips paint, but that's easily reapplied. I'm quite happy to drill the damn things out if need be; have a spare nut bolt and bracket plate set. Drilling through the middle of the bolts should, I imagine, loosen red Lolite's tight locking a bit... perhaps enough for acetone to leak in and soften/dissolve it. Whatever, I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. You know the old saying "Don't trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you!" :eek: It aint broke yet, so I won't fix it etc.

Re price, if a tenner meant not eating or not being able to afford the lectric to charge your ebike to get to work, fair enough, otherwise it’s about a pint and a half (London) you have to forgo as punishment for stripping threads. Very mild considering the crime.
@saneagle's dog will never get fed with that mad level of recklessly wild and wanton extravagant expenditure. But maybe that's a good thing, because he's more of a cat person, hates his dog.

Reactions: Tony1951
D

Deleted member 16246

Guerney said:
You know the old saying "Don't trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you!" :eek: It aint broke yet, so I won't fix it etc.
If I had taken that advice in the 1960s and 1970s, my motorbikes would have been a lot more reliable. I was forever taking the engines to bits with my horrible old open ended spanners, ruining bolt heads and nuts and stripping threads that were in aluminium casings . The breakdowns I caused from snapped and chewed dive chains (bad wheel alignment chewed the whole chain so it could not even be mended) burned out exhaust valves, numerous oil leaks, blown big ends, were ALL caused by me and my frantic meddling and worst of all, 'Tuning up'.

As some cynical old engineer once may have said, 'An amateur tune up is a success if it only loses 25% of the horse power the engine used to have.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If I had taken that advice in the 1960s and 1970s, my motorbikes would have been a lot more reliable. I was forever taking the engines to bits with my horrible old open ended spanners, ruining bolt heads and nuts and stripping threads that were in aluminium casings . The breakdowns I caused from snapped and chewed dive chains (bad wheel alignment chewed the whole chain so it could not even be mended) burned out exhaust valves, numerous oil leaks, blown big ends, were ALL caused by me and my frantic meddling and worst of all, 'Tuning up'.

As some cynical old engineer once may have said, 'An amateur tune up is a success if it only loses 25% of the horse power the engine used to have.
Remember porting two strokes and so called "tuned" pipes? I never did it because I always had 4-strokes.

In my motorbike club back in the 80s were a pair of twin brothers. Both bought LC350 Yamahas. One left his bog standard and had done 30,000 trouble free miles on it, the other had all the tuning parts on it, had done about 5,000 miles, and it broke down nearly every month, so it was hardly on the road. They had completely different personalities even though they looked the same. Unfortunately, the calm one list his life on mad Sunday at the IOM TT. He came round a bend to find a bike lying in the road after a guy misjudged the bend. He had to change his line to avoid it, which ran his bike off the road up a bank at low speed, so he sort of stepped off and tumbled down the bank back onto the road, where he was run over by a car going too fast to stop, and he died in his brother's arms. Very sad to lose a friend like that.

D

Deleted member 16246

Remember porting two strokes and so called "tuned" pipes? I never did it because I always had 4-strokes.

In my motorbike club back in the 80s were a pair of twin brothers. Both bought LC350 Yamahas. One left his bog standard and had done 30,000 trouble free miles on it, the other had all the tuning parts on it, had done about 5,000 miles, and it broke down nearly every month, so it was hardly on the road. They had completely different personalities even though they looked the same. Unfortunately, the calm one list his life on mad Sunday at the IOM TT. He came round a bend to find a bike lying in the road after a guy misjudged the bend. He had to change his line to avoid it, which ran his bike off the road up a bank at low speed, so he sort of stepped off and tumbled down the bank back onto the road, where he was run over by a car going too fast to stop, and he died in his brother's arms. Very sad to lose a friend like that.
God but that is an awful tragic waste.

Imagine all the life he would have lived by now - or don't. It is too dreadful to think about.

I take the view that our individual, unique consciousness is so absolutely unlikely to have ever happened that we should make the most of life and preserve it.

If any one of our tens of thousands of individual ancestors had done ANYTHING differentalong the way that led to our direct ancestors, the individual sperms meeting individual eggs, down the thousands of generations that led to us, if any of them had done anything different, the person you might have been would be an different person altogether. Even taking a pair of identical twins with perfectly identical dna - their individual brain is completely different.

The chances against any of us being born rather than someone else are so slim, that just by being alive, we are all lottery winners many times over. For that life to be lost in some stupid accident is a terrible thing.